Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

Wonderful On Board Footage

I'm sure this clip has been shared before. I've watched this many times today, and just wanted to share with the rest of the gang.

Thanks Sopwith, old chap! :drinks:

Interesting footage - although there seem to be two different craft involved: the dark one at the start with the skull and crossbones; and the wing-strut mounted footage of a light coloured plane in flight. Anyone get a bead on what the attacking aircraft was (S.E5 perhaps?)

Also, I'm a bit confused as to when it's a 'DFW', as opposed to a 'Rumpler' (as this clip is titled), and when its an 'Aviatik'?? I thought the latter was simply a co-manufacturer of the DFW-designed aircraft. But Rumpler is a separate type altogether, or so I thought (?) :dntknw:

First time I have seen the entire film. Seems like all WWI TV documentarys show the DFW on the Ground (Same few seconds) and the gunner in the Rumpler C.I. The use of the camera and dropping the bomb from out side the cockpit was staged as the Rumpler C.I had internal bomb release and camera position. The DFW may have been in an early schlasta. My guess is that the Rumpler was a school plane used for filming.

Glad you guys liked it.

TaillyHo: I think this film definitely raises a lot of historical questions. I wish I could get my hands on the original document and do some more research. I think Moritz's assessment is as plausible as anything I can come up with.

Here's information on all three possible aircraft featured in the film:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/germany/aviatik_ci.php

aviatik_ci.jpg

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/germany/dfw_cv.php

dfw_cv.jpg

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/germany/rumpler_ci.php

rumpler_ci.jpg

I agree, and your pics add to Moritz's view about the lighter coloured plane being an earlier Rumpler as the sides of the pilot's cockpit are curved lower than the flat top of the Aviatik and DFW cockpits. Also in your pics you can see a quite different tail style on the Aviatik - with the 'comma-shaped' rudder more like an Einie - whereas the other two feature a more progressive sweep up from the fuselage.

The thing in that clip that intrigued me - is that Amiens Cathedral they fly over? Looks about right. Anyone positively identify it?

shredward

Interesting footage - although there seem to be two different craft involved: the dark one at the start with the skull and crossbones; and the wing-strut mounted footage of a light coloured plane in flight. Anyone get a bead on what the attacking aircraft was (S.E5 perhaps?)

I think the attacking aircraft is a DH2... :salute:

I think the attacking aircraft is a DH2... :salute:

Hey Elephant, are you up and running with OFF:BHaH yet?

No, not yet... :dntknw:

Shippings from outside EU are commonly delayed by the Custom Service here...

Still waiting... :boredom:

The attacking fighter has a "Gitterschwanz" (it's a pusher) - so might be a DH-2, as Elephant said already.

I looked at the cathedrals of Ypres, Cambrai, Amiens and Reims - none of them seem as big as the one in the film.

Shredward, I have found it. It is the Cathedral of Laon.

I have made a screenshot from the film, and one from Google maps.

Here is the result:

Shredward, I have found it. It is the Cathedral of Laon.

I have made a screenshot from the film, and one from Google maps.

Here is the result:

Wow! Damn fine work Olham! That picture sent a shiver down my spine. :yikes:

Wow! indeed, Olham. You play those google maps like a harp!!!

Very impressive work! :good:

Good work Olham!

I've been to Laon, so I should have spotted it. I took the surrounding area for water, which is what threw me, but you are quite right. Laon sits up on a high rock, and drops away fairly steeply, and that is what we are seeing in that clip.

Great stuff!

Yeah, it bring it so close to today, doesn't it?

If you want to stroll through pictures of Flanders places (and receive more shivers);

here is a website you may have missed.

Click on the places' names at the left - and enjoy the shivers.

http://www.flanderla...28zillebeke%29/

Wow, another great find Olham! My bookmark collection always expands when I spend some time on the forums! :drinks:

Wow! Nice vid and Olham's "map detective" work is impressive as always. :drinks:

Now we are going to see this level of detail in P4, right? :grin:

CaptSopwith, I wasn't the first to find that site - I only "re-found" it later.

First it was shown here by Hasse Wind or RAF_Louvert - not sure.

When I couldn't find the cathedral in Ypres, Lens, Douai, Arras, Cambrai, St. Quentin and Charleroi,

I had the idea: I googled for "cathedral ground plan".

As the cathedral we searched had very many support columns - more than any other cathedral

I ever saw - this brought me to Laon. Bingo!

Edited by Olham