Sign in to follow this  
Spad13

New Terrains for FE 2?

I tried downloading one of the seasonal terrains by Jan. I found that his folder is named "terrain" whereas the folder in FE 2 is "terrains". Just for giggles I swapped them out, and I found that my FE 2 would ab-end. Switching them back, it worked again. I also noticed the original terrains setup for Verdun and Cambrai is different from FE I.

So I'm wondering if these mods work for FE 2 or not? I'd like a change of seasons and a worn airfield if I can make it work.

Thanks!

I am using all of my terrains from FEG. They all work in FE2. I dont remember having to change anything as far as folders go. But the graphic parameters have to be changed a bit in the terrain's DATA.ini. With the new shaders water, Alph, and Solid objects needed fixing. But I dont know what needed to be done. My water still looks bad.

Spad13:

To answer your question, yes, Jan's terrains work just fine in FE2.

To start with, you did not say what operating system you are using, two where did you put his terrains ???

ALL Thirdware Second Generation games use a mod folder, for example look under the C:User/Saved Games/Thirdwire/ FirstEagles2.

as a result, you put Jan's ferrain folders inside the Terrains folder in the FirstEagles2 mod folder, not inside the game folder. Tk created this method so you never have to touch the original game folders, everything now goes into the mod folder (as mentioned above), unlike the original FE1 game.

My FirsttEagle2 mod folder looks like this:

C:/User/Saved Games/Thirdwire/FirstEagles2/Terrains/ with the folowing folders under Terrains = Flanders, seasonal_tiles, Vogesen, wwiCambrai, wwiVerdun

Spad13:

To answer your question, yes, Jan's terrains work just fine in FE2.

To start with, you did not say what operating system you are using, two where did you put his terrains ???

ALL Thirdware Second Generation games use a mod folder, for example look under the C:User/Saved Games/Thirdwire/ FirstEagles2.

as a result, you put Jan's ferrain folders inside the Terrains folder in the FirstEagles2 mod folder, not inside the game folder. Tk created this method so you never have to touch the original game folders, everything now goes into the mod folder (as mentioned above), unlike the original FE1 game.

My FirsttEagle2 mod folder looks like this:

C:/User/Saved Games/Thirdwire/FirstEagles2/Terrains/ with the folowing folders under Terrains = Flanders, seasonal_tiles, Vogesen, wwiCambrai, wwiVerdun

Ok, let me see here- I'm using Windows XP- and it runs on it.

Two, let me ask- do you mean by the "mod folder" the one in "My Documents" and not "Program Files"?

Now here's where everything was when I downloaded the game. "Terrains" was in the program files, there was no terrains file in "my docs". The files looked odd- security catalogs?

511c2b110333723.jpg

The Cambrai and Verdun terrains didn't even have folders anymore, just security catalogs. I dropped the Flanders folder into this folder, and the game didn't read it. It was not available as a selection.

Now, I made a Terrains folder and put it in "my docs", and put Jan's mods in there:

99b68c110333729.jpg

which looks to me like what you have down, even though the path is worded a bit differently.

The terrains now show up on the screen choices:

4803e6110333732.jpg

but if I click Flanders or Vosgesen, the computer abends, It will work for Verdun and Cambrai, which also happen to be the two files downloaded with the game in their "security catalogs", but I'm not getting any snow in January 1917 in those terrains. Or is that not how it works?

Any ideas, gentlemen?

Hmmm... I just tried it again, and for Cambrai and Verdun the winter terrains are showing up now when I set the weather to inclement (duh). Flanders and Vosegen still abend. I'm not too worried about that, though- I was more wondering how to get the terrain changed. I think it all goes back to those security catalogs somehow. I guess. Should I just remove the terrain folder from the program files?

Gee, now let's see how I muck up the airfield mods. :blink:

I repeat, nothing and I mean nothing goes into any 2nd Gen Thirdwire original game folders, period. If you do, it creats problems. TK's 2nd Gen games create a mod folder someplace else, and that is where you put all your changes/mods.

In XP, the FE2 mod folder location is: My Computer / Documents and Settings / User / My Documents / ThirdWire / FirstEagles2

I repeat, nothing and I mean nothing goes into any 2nd Gen Thirdwire original game folders, period. If you do, it creats problems. TK's 2nd Gen games create a mod folder someplace else, and that is where you put all your changes/mods.

In XP, the FE2 mod folder location is: My Computer / Documents and Settings / User / My Documents / ThirdWire / FirstEagles2

Ok. Thanks.

Do not feel to bad, it took me a while to get his terrains to work too. Until I figured out that nothing is suppose to go into the original FE2/SF2 game folders, I had CTD's too.

A big help is going to the SF2 Knowledge section and reading how SF2 handles mods, since FE2, is just the WW1 version of TK's game.

Edited by Panama Red

Do not feel to bad, it took me a while to get his terrains to work too. Until I figured out that nothing is suppose to go into the original FE2/SF2 game folders, I had CTD's too.

A big help is going to the SF2 Knowledge section and reading how SF2 handles mods, since FE2, is just the WW1 version of TK's game.

See, what confuses me is that I have not really touched the way the game was when it downloaded. It came with terrains (Cambrai and Verdun) in the program folder, not in the mods folder. Now to test what you told me, I took the stuff out of the program folder that you said doesn't belong there and put it in the mods folder. When I tried it- it doesn't work. It abends. I put that file back in the program files, created a new folder in the mod files labeled "terrains" and dropped Jan's stuff in it. Now it works.

I am also confused as to why Cambrai and Verdun are "security catalogs" and not file folders.

So I have a terrains folder in program files that has Cambrai and Verdun. I have a terrains file in the mod files, with Jan's downloads. And the tiles do now change seasons. I get a nice autumn look for October, and a snowy landscape in February. So as long as it works, I'm not going to muck with it.

I do appreciate all the help! And I appreciate the wonderful job you modders have done in making this a very satisfying WW1 sim. :salute:

And I will check out that SF2 knowledge section!

I'm sorry if I confused you. The CAT files are part of the game, and they are TK's condensed files. If you ever use the CAT File Extractor, you will see all the individual files that are condensed in each of the different CAT files.

Since the CAT files are part of the game, you leave them in the original game locations. You just put all your mods up in the game's created mod folder, like Jan's Terrains.