Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

windows 7 64 bit

Guys my new computer is coming with 64 bit windows 7 OFF.. Will work on this... I was running 32 bit xp.....will I need to dl the microsoft xp mode program....have any of you 64 bit users have problems....thanks for your input

Edited by thewoo1

Guys my new computer is coming with 64 bit windows 7 OFF.. Will work on this... I was running 32 bit xp.....will I need to dl the microsoft xp mode program....have any of you 64 bit users have problems....thanks for your input

I run Windows 7 64bit and swear by it. Runs far more stable than even Windowx XP 32 bit did, at least for me. I have no trouble at all running OFF:BH&H and HitR expansion. Plus all of the newest drivers are being written for Windows 7 as well, so it has better support for newer hardware.

Hellshade

I was interested in the answer too. My next computer ( 45 days and counting ) will be running the 64 bit operating system.

thanks hs.. did any of your older programs have problems when you went to win 7 64 for example I want to put my ms fs on will most of these run

I upgraded an older computer to Win 7/64, it ported over all the old XP 32 programs without any trouble. I really like it. Loads quicker, runs smoother, and the graphics are crisper.

Beard

Some "old" games like Falcon 4: Allied Force are not supported by old nVidia drivers, also, if you play Free Falcon, you will have to change the .exe file name from FFViper to FalconAF. (Those are the only flight sim games that have issues AFAIK).

It must be Outlook that is killing you Al. I don't have it(never have) and am running Office 2000, have no troubles at all. I don't even have to run programs as administrator.

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

If you install Outlook 2010 as I did, or Microsoft Office 2010 ( extra cost) all are 32bit programs

Not true.....Microsoft Office is available in both 64-bit and 32-bit versions. Microsoft recommends installing the 32-bit version on the 64-bit OS only if you're inclined to install 3rd party addons for Office, which may cause you some compatibility issues as most addons are 32-bit.

everything will be fine UNTIL Microsoft in it's infinate Wisdom notices 32bit Email coming from your computer. It then installs via Auto Update a security update for all 32bit programs which makes OFF Totally UNPLAYABLE. You get Contact Clear and it crashes to the briefing Room. Catch it quick, because the maximum possible System Restore is 4 days.

Microsoft doesn't "notice 32-bit e-mail" coming from anyone's computer, and neither does it install "a security update for all 32-bit programs". What happened was Windows update detected that there were security updates available for your versions of Office and/or Outlook Express, and because you chose to enable completely Automatic Updates, it installed them as it should have done. I serously doubt it was these updates that caused the issues you experienced with OFF as that seems highly unlikely, but that's merely an educated guess. Also......just for clarification, I have a restore point showing here that goes back a full week, which I believe involves slightly more than 4 days. It's also always prudent to manually create a restore point prior to making any kind of system changes. However, I'm pretty sure Windows Update in Windows 7 automatically creates a restore point for you just prior to installing anything that might blow your computer up....and for obvious reasons. It does for me anyway....

Regardless, it's never been a real clever idea to enable Automatic Updates to download and install anything without having it at least notify you first. In fact, I have mine set to merely notify me that updates are available. I can then take a look at what it might be trying to slip by me, and make an informed decision as to wether or not that stuff makes it onto my hard drive. Even if I decide to allow those updates and any of my programs fail to work as a result, it's usually a simple matter of going into Control Panel/Add Remove Programs, and getting rid of the offending update. A good option if for some reason you've limited your number of restore points, or disabled system restore completely.

Hope you get your PC sorted out quickly, Al, but as I said, I doubt very much it was the critical updates for Office that pooched your system. If I were you, I'd be looking elswhere...

Cheers,

Parky

Hmmmm......I've never run into that problem....uninstalling a patch or critical update because it came with a label.

Not to worry though. If you have your Windows 7 disk, I'll gladly walk you through a reinstall of your OS over the phone if you like. It's not rocket science, and besides.... I get fantastic long distance rates. Would be helpful if you had your motherboard CD handy as well, but that's easily overcome if you don't.

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

I was a massive fan of XP....until I got Windows 64 installed!...Now I would'nt go back.

Intuitive, sensible..and 1,000 % better than that rubbish Vista!

Highly recommend

I've got it, but have not installed it. I had a test version of Win 7 64 'N' , which everything worked on, but the N version is missing a lot of core stuff that Pro and Home have.

At any rate, I loaded the 32 bit onto my wife's Laptop and I am very happy with it. It's 100% better than Vista, and unfortunately for my trust XP... it's better as well.

OvS

I've been using Win 7 64 bit and OFF for a couple of months, and haven't had a single problem with the sim. Even TrackIR works better on my new PC than it did on my old XP machine. Every game I had and played on my XP rig seems to work equally well on Win 7.

I was a big fan of XP for years, but now I don't want to get back to it. Win 7 is simply better. I like it a lot.

Wow thanks for the heads up....Some questions...When new computer comes in, I am not having multiple users....how do you get in administrator mode( is that the default) to install OFF...I have outlook express as my email...am I correct to assume as long as I dont download outlook express I dont have to worry about it screwing me via the updates...also because I will not have outlook how do I deal with my subsciptions from norton etc that give me links.... also before I start my installation of OFF should I install another program first that has directx 9 or just install cfs 3 first..I have the dvd version so I wasnt going to install it .... guys here is a question.... my email is tied in with my Internet dsl provider when I am home it defaults to outlook when I correspond to someone my email is dwb69@frontiernet.net which I can access from the browser... so am I right in assuming that that is a mail setting...do I still have to set my mail to that pop3 smt thing .. Bottom line if I can access that email from browser I dont need the outlook on my machine and windows 7 wont force it on me

Edited by thewoo1

I believe you are an admin by default..but if you have an issue with a game, right clicking on the games .exe file or shortcut and selecting 'run as administrator' seems to solve most problems.

Outlook express is not supported on Windows 7..in fact W7 doesn't come with an email client..you can use Outlook, Thunderbird etc..but OE is gone!

As for dealing with Norton Subscriptions, I'm forced to ask why?...No-One uses Norton anymore surely?

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I believe you are an admin by default..but if you have an issue with a game, right clicking on the games .exe file or shortcut and selecting 'run as administrator' seems to solve most problems.

Outlook express is not supported on Windows 7..in fact W7 doesn't come with an email client..you can use Outlook, Thunderbird etc..but OE is gone!

As for dealing with Norton Subscriptions, I'm forced to ask why?...No-One uses Norton anymore surely?

what should I use...recommend pls thanks

Thunderbird is a free e-mail proggie from the same people who make Firefox. You can use it as a replacement for any POP3 based e-mail client, including Outlook Express. It looks and behaves in a similar fashion to what you're used to.

Link here: http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-GB/thunderbird/

As far as Nortons goes....frankly I think it's an over-priced, over-rated, bloated, system-intrusive pile of crap. I wouldn't use it if Symantec paid me.

Go with something nice and lightweight that gets the job done. See the info in this thread: http://combatace.com/topic/60840-microsoft-security-essentials/

Cheers,

Parky

The last time I checked, Norton's was still subsciption based software. That is, unless you're referring to one of their "free" 60 day trials which come with that wonderful feature which continuously nags the shyt out of you to subscribe and part with a big wad of cash.

Oh.....and then there's the "free" Beta version of their 360 software, which I wouldn't even install on a PC belonging to someone I didn't like very much.

To each his own though. Whatever works for you, gets the job done, and causes the least amount of headaches I s'pose...

Cheers,

Parky

Uncleal does direct x come with win 7 64 bit..if so what version ? I cant remember if you are a nvidea guy...if you are what version driver runs the best with win 7 64? Does win 7 have a lot of drivers such as joystick without having to dig out disks or go on line

The last time I checked, Norton's was still subsciption based software. That is, unless you're referring to one of their "free" 60 day trials which come with that wonderful feature which continuously nags the shyt out of you to subscribe and part with a big wad of cash.

Oh.....and then there's the "free" Beta version of their 360 software, which I wouldn't even install on a PC belonging to someone I didn't like very much.

To each his own though. Whatever works for you, gets the job done, and causes the least amount of headaches I s'pose...

Cheers,

Parky

Parky,

How about AVG and ZoneAlarm. I use those and seem to have good success with them, but other than a few websites, I don't surf too much. Also, they both do the annoying nag screens to get you to upgrade. I know it's all free, but it's annoying as hell when software does that.

On a site note... above me uncleal mentions his 'antiquated' GTX260... well... I ...er .. have the same card. ;) What is a good replacement for my system. I am greatfully enjoying that i7 Quad core still, and would love to over clock it now as I still have it running at default. I've enjoyed my rig since the day you offered the advice on it, and have never looked back. But 2 years is a life-time and I'd like to upgrade to Win7 64, with some more memory, and a better vid card for Flight Sim X and OFF... and whatever else I toss at it, which has not been much lately. Love the BIA series games, but they're old now... and the COD games are getting annoying with the same thoughtless, renegade killing with no attention to tactitcs whatsoever.

All the best,

OvS

Edited by OvS

Parky,

How about AVG and ZoneAlarm. I use those and seem to have good success with them, but other than a few websites, I don't surf too much. Also, they both do the annoying nag screens to get you to upgrade. I know it's all free, but it's annoying as hell when software does that.

On a site note... above me uncleal mentions his 'antiquated' GTX260... well... I ...er .. have the same card. ;) What is a good replacement for my system. I am greatfully enjoying that i7 Quad core still, and would love to over clock it now as I still have it running at default. I've enjoyed my rig since the day you offered the advice on it, and have never looked back. But 2 years is a life-time and I'd like to upgrade to Win7 64, with some more memory, and a better vid card for Flight Sim X and OFF... and whatever else I toss at it, which has not been much lately. Love the BIA series games, but they're old now... and the COD games are getting annoying with the same thoughtless, renegade killing with no attention to tactitcs whatsoever.

All the best,

OvS

I have the base line i7 920 quad core as well and have it safely overclocked at 3.8 Ghz (up from 2.66) with no voltage increase and air cooled. If you have a P6T motherboard I can tell you how to do it. As for a video card replacement, it depends on your budget but I have a new GTX 580 factory overclocked from EVGA and I must say it is fantastic. It comes with 1.5GB of GDDR5 ram , runs cooler and quieter than my old GTX 280 and give outstanding performance. I would recommend against the GTX 400 series. They run very hot and noisy and all the reviews say the 500 series is what the 400 series should have been. It's also fully DirectX 11 compatible so you are future proofed for some time. OFF runs better than ever on it. Even super demanding games like CoD Black OPS never drop below 45 frames per second at 1920 x 1200 with all detail settings maxxed. Usually it's a flat 60. WoP is a flat 60 FPS, all details maxxed no matter what...even when recording. It's a pricey card but it's worth the money. ATI is due out with a new card in the next few months so obviously that is comething to consider but for the moment at least, the GTX 580 is the fastest single GPU card on the market.

Not sure what your motherboard can handle for RAM but if it supports DDR3 I highly recommend the Corsair Dominator XMS DDR3 memory. It runs up to 1600 mhz stock. 6GB will run you about $245.

As for tactical shooters, may I heartily recommend the relatively old Rainbow Six Vegas 2. It's definately not "run and gun" gameplay like CoD. It's fun, challenging and the graphics are still pretty good. I believe it uses the Unreal III engine.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I have the base line i7 920 quad core as well and have it safely overclocked at 3.8 Ghz (up from 2.66) with no voltage increase and air cooled. If you have a P6T motherboard I can tell you how to do it. As for a video card replacement, it depends on your budget but I have a new GTX 580 factory overclocked from EVGA and I must say it is fantastic. It comes with 1.5GB of GDDR5 ram , runs cooler and quieter than my old GTX 280 and give outstanding performance. I would recommend against the GTX 400 series. They run very hot and noisy and all the reviews say the 500 series is what the 400 series should have been. It's also fully DirectX 11 compatible so you are future proofed for some time. OFF runs better than ever on it. Even super demanding games like CoD Black OPS never drop below 45 frames per second at 1920 x 1200 with all detail settings maxxed. Usually it's a flat 60. WoP is a flat 60 FPS, all details maxxed no matter what...even when recording. It's a pricey card but it's worth the money. ATI is due out with a new card in the next few months so obviously that is comething to consider but for the moment at least, the GTX 580 is the fastest single GPU card on the market.

Not sure what your motherboard can handle for RAM but if it supports DDR3 I highly recommend the Corsair Dominator XMS DDR3 memory. It runs up to 1600 mhz stock. 6GB will run you about $245.

As for tactical shooters, may I heartily recommend the relatively old Rainbow Six Vegas 2. It's definately not "run and gun" gameplay like CoD. It's fun, challenging and the graphics are still pretty good. I believe it uses the Unreal III engine.

Hellshade

Thanks Hellshade,

I actually have the same set-up as you, including Mobo, so that GTX580 might be in my future. What did you use to cool the CPU when you overclocked it?

I'll be happy to take those instructions from you. :)

OvS

I have a GTX 450...and it runs cool and quiet....go figure

Must admit 20 years ago I would suggest Norton... At present on my PC Win7 64bit I am being brave foolish pick one and using Windows own... microsoft security essentials and I do believe others here are also using it... and it comes free (for now)...

I have a GTX 450...and it runs cool and quiet....go figure

Well, now that we've just hi-jacked this thread... how does it handle FSX? I'm still running FSX on XP, and I get those annoying memory crashes about 1 hour into flight around anywhere congested like NYC, Boston... etc.