concerning guns and children. Regardless of how you feel about gun

laws you gotta love this!!!! This is one of the best comeback lines of

all time. It is a portion of National Public Radio (NPR) interview

between a female broadcaster and US Marine Corps General Reinwald who

was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military

installation.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: So, General Reinwald, what things are you going

to

teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL REINWALD: We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing,

archery, and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on

the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Don't you admit that this is a terribly

dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper

rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: But you're equipping them to become violent

killers.

GENERAL REINWALD: Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute,

but

you're not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended. You gotta love the

Marines!

I love it.

Navy Chief

oops, fictitious......not ficitious.

Incorrect spelling drives me nuts!

NC

Hey Chief,

I used to own an AR-15 A2 H-Bar with an Aimpoint-2000 dot scope, a stainless Colt 45 Govt. Model and a Mossberg Bullpup Shotgun. When I transferred into the city I had to sell them all because of the gun laws in DC. It was a pre-ban AR too. When I got robbed on the way home from work I wish I still owned and could of been able to carry my .45. That jerk had a snub-nosed .38 revolver :rolleyes: !

When I nightstocked at the Safeway in MD. 3 of the nightstockers and I used to go to range in Waldorf and shoot together. Bernie had an HK-93 and Garfield had one those Chinese AK's.

I wish I never moved and kept that AR, I loved that .45 too, I've owned a few 9mm and I still believe that anything under .40 cal in a handgun is inadequate for personal defense. Beretta 92 (pc of SH!!), Browning High Power is a nice 9 but I still think the Colt 45 is the way to go in a pistol. Single action, drop that puppy in the mud and it'll still fire, etc.

As for the Mossberg, like the Beretta-junk too, and I knew it when I bought it but I was 26 and thought it looked cool. Remington 870p is the way to go there IMHO.

Foo.

Personally, I'm against gun control and although that joke was fictitious it had it's merits IMO. It's the person not the pu$$y...er, Gun. :D :D :D

Hey Foofighter,

The only firearm I own is a 9mm Beretta, Model 92. I bought it used at a sporting goods store in Atlanta. It used to belong to the Dept. of Energy, and came with two 15 round clips. Cost me $350, but was worth it. It stays in a drawer, and I haven't shot it in years. Just before I retired, I spent 6 months in Japan at MCAS Iwakuni. I qualified with a Beretta Model 92 on the base, and really liked its accuracy, and the small amount of recoil. Great pistol.

Navy Chief

Hey Chief,

Not bad, $350. Actually the recoil isn't that far of from each other depending on the round used. The 9 travels at a higher feet per second and has higher gas pressures so the recoil is about the same depending on the round. The only other thing that I didn't like about the older versions of the 92 is that if you pulled it on someone they could grab the slide and pull it off the pistol. I'm qual'ed with both the M-16 and the .45, when I qual'ed they were still using the .45. The think I also like about the .45 is you can carry it "Cocked and Locked", just lower the ambidextrous safety and your good to go. One hit and your target IS down. 7 in a Wilson Rogers mag and one in the chamber and 2 extra clips and your'e good to go. Sorta like Ford or Chevy though I guess, I'ts a preference.

Edited by Foofighter

I'd like to get a 1911 someday, a nice stainless with a wood stock. I don't think there's a better looking pistol then the rugged, sturdy, yet beautiful look of the 1911. I don't really know all the little differences in the different brands, years made, models, etc, but I'd like one, either original or not, like the ones made during WWII. But that's still a few years off.

I'd like to get a 1911 someday, a nice stainless with a wood stock

in that case go for the match .45 .a sweeeeet weapon and easy to look at still

Hey PG_Raptor,

I agree with Scout, a match 45 is a great pistol. I'm a little busy over the next few days but I'll pm you some info that may be helpful to you you or I'll just add it to this thread. I would stick with Colt, or maybe a Springfield Armory .45. Here's a few links to check out... There are a lot of options out there.

http://www.colt.com/CMCI/Series70.asp

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-fs.shtml

Personally I prefer the Colts. But some of the newer Springfields look promising. I'm just the keep it simple and solid type. More reliable and less to fail.

Check them out and see what you like!

Hope this helps,

Foo

Edited by Foofighter

*Original Topic*

It might be fictitious as far as the story goes, but it's oh so true!

I may be an oddity in today's society, but I was a *gasp* boy scout back in the late 70s. I was taught all the 'paramilitary' things like wilderness survival, bow shooting, first aid, canoeing, tying knots, how to properly use a hatchet/axe to chop wood, swimming, cooking on a campfire, etc...

For my 12th birthday my dad gave me a *duck and cover* 16 guage bolt action shotgun (which I still have) for conservation club "turkey shoots" (shooting targets as a contest to win prizes). He also passed down to me from my grandfather a pump .22cal rifle on my 16th birthday that my grandfather got on his 16th and my dad did also, and gave me another semi auto .22 rifle on my 20th birthday (I still have all of them and I'm closing in on 38 years old).

******"FEMALE INTERVIEWER: But you're equipping them to become violent

killers."******

Guess what, I've had and been trained properly to use guns for 25 years since I was 12 and a boyscout...I've never killed or plan to kill anyone. :blink:

Weasel, I remember when programs like the scouts were looked upon as a means of training marksmanship for later military service. It was considered a "Strategic Resource" to be used in defence of our country in times of need. Our enemies during war always noticed that Americans were shooters. The story Chief gave may be fictitious, but I think it pretty well sums up the attitude of the media and liberals in general towards the ownership and use of guns by law abiding citizens. Power corrupts and I honestly believe the second amendment gaurentees the other 26 and the constitution.

The second ammendment states..."A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Americans knew what a tyranical goverment could do. They didnt like standing armies; read your history. They depended on citizens well armed for defence. What was a militia when this amendment was made in 1789? It was the citizen armed with his rifle. There was no National Guard other than groups of citizen minutemen who were formed into companies and hastily trained to faced the British. The amendment doesnt say the right of the national guard shall not be infringed. It says the right of the PEOPLE shall NOT be infringed. End of story! The day they try to take away my guns is the day this country has lost its true freedom. It'll be the day thinking men everywhere best consider what they are going to do. Because once your guns are gone my friends, your other freedoms, whats left of them as they are now, wont be far behind. I love this country with all my heart, but I wont quietly stand by and watch the freedoms I grew up with eroded for my children by a bunch of self seeking power hungry individuals. We all want a better life for our kids. Well folks, there's more to life then more toys...

By the way, the Constitution and Bill of Rights can be found here...National Archives.

I remember a line from a movie called The untouchables when Sean Connery asked Elliot Ness,"What are you prepared to do?" Be watchful people and dont be afraid to speak up. Our forefathers put EVERYTHING on the line for their freedom. You may be required to do the same someday.

NOTE: If you would like to read a moving account of what the Revolutionary War was really all about; what our fathers faced and their trials and their courage, then please read Winter Soldiers by Robert Ketchum. It can be found HERE! Its not just about Trenton and Princeton as the title implies. Its about the Revolutionary Wars beginings and how it was oh so narrowly won. Consider what risks they took for your freedom...