Sign in to follow this  
paulferris1964

No Trees? - SF2V Air & Ground Expansion Packs

Hi,

I've just installed this great expansion on a clean copy of SF2V (not merged) on Vista 64 Home Premium, using the 4 Gold installer files and the Jul 10 update.

It looks to have installed OK (I can see separate N & S Vietnam terrains), but I'm seeing no trees at all - any ideas, anyone?

All graphics options set to highest

Thanks

Paul

Paul:

If you installed the post-Dec2009 files (I'm assuming you're not running at the Jun2009b patch level or earlier), then you're not seeing tree because they were taken out. The trees were removed because the Dec2009 and later patch levels have a graphics anomaly that causes unsightly effects when viewing the trees through clouds, which is a big problem on this terrain given all the mountains.

The ReadMe has a section on this issue.

Eric Howes

Paul:

If you installed the post-Dec2009 files (I'm assuming you're not running at the Jun2009b patch level or earlier), then you're not seeing tree because they were taken out. The trees were removed because the Dec2009 and later patch levels have a graphics anomaly that causes unsightly effects when viewing the trees through clouds, which is a big problem on this terrain given all the mountains.

The ReadMe has a section on this issue.

Eric Howes

OK, thanks Eric. I read the ReadMe, but I thought it was suggesting trees could be "disappeared" if they caused a problem, not that they had been removed.

Awesome mod, by the way!

You can re-install the trees into the mod and it looks even better. You just have ro remember that you will occasionally see the trees through the clouds when the clouds are between you and the ground.

Me, I prefer to see the trees and I just ignore the occasional "alpha" clashes.

You can re-install the trees into the mod and it looks even better. You just have ro remember that you will occasionally see the trees through the clouds when the clouds are between you and the ground.

Me, I prefer to see the trees and I just ignore the occasional "alpha" clashes.

How do you reinstall the trees? Just copy over from the Large, Medium, etc detail directory?

Thanks

yes, all the Vietnam*.tod files

Stary:

Actually, he doesn't need to do anything with the .TOD files. The trees were "disappeared" in the SF2V Expansion pack by replacing the tree TGAs with clear TGAs. All he needs to do is copy the tree TGAs from one of the sub-folders within the terrains to the main directory, overwriting the clear tree TGAs.

Eric Howes

Stary:

Actually, he doesn't need to do anything with the .TOD files. The trees were "disappeared" in the SF2V Expansion pack by replacing the tree TGAs with clear TGAs. All he needs to do is copy the tree TGAs from one of the sub-folders within the terrains to the main directory, overwriting the clear tree TGAs.

Eric Howes

Thanks Eric. I've looked in the Low, Medium & High Detail directories in the Mods \ Terrains structure and can find no TGA files - only TOD?? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Paul

Paul:

Under \Terrains\VietnamSEA & \SouthVietnam (in your Mod Folder) are the directories \Trees_Large and \Trees_Small. Each dir has two .TGA files -- those are the trees. Pick one set (large or small) and drop them in the directory above, overwriting the smaller versions of the same files.

Eric Howes