What do you rate this system?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What do you rate this system?

• 1 = n00b
    • 2 = Ok
    • 3 = Decent
    • 4 = Awesome!
    • 5 = |<I(|< A$$!!!

After looking at parts for a long time, I think I've finally decided on all the part I want for my first self build. Listed below are all the parts I want. Concerns/questions are also listed after the part list. Any input is appriciated :D.

1. Antec Super Lanboy

2. Ultra Xconect 500W PSU

3. AMD FX-53 Socket 939

4. MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

5. Leadtek NVidia GeForce 6800 GT w/ 256 MB DDR3

6. Audigy 2 ZS

7. Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM 512 Mb x2 (1 Gb total)

8. Seagate 120 Gb HD, 7200 rpm

9. NEC 8x DVD+/-RW x2

10. Zalman Copper CPU Heatsink

11. Thermaltake 120mm Blue LED Case fan

12. Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra

13. Windows XP Pro

And the reasons for picking such items/any concerns I have (numbers correspond to parts).

1. Awesome looking case, light, tough, just what I'm looking for. The motherboard will JUST fit into the case.

2. Ultra isn't a big name in the PSU field, but I've been checking lots of reviews of this one, and the only bad thing I've heard about it is that people don't want to put fingerprints on it because it's so pretty :D

3. Self explanitory

4. This is probably the best Socket 939 board out there. That and the best buy.

5. I was debating about the 6800 GT or the X800 Pro, and most reviews showed the GT winning. Add in the fact that it was a little cheaper, I took the GT. And just look at that heatsink!!!

6. Another self explanitory

7. I do have a question here. Would it be better to get 4 256 Mb sticks or 2 512 Mb sticks? It's cheaper with the 256, and I would think that seek times would be slightly lower with 4 sticks, as opposed to 2.

8. While the seagate is not the fastest model out there, most of the reviews I've read claim it is one of the most stable. And considering it'll be my only HD until I can get more money, stability interests me more.

9. Silver case, silver drives. Again, not the fastest, but more than enough for me.

10. I've had my eye on this heatsink for a long time, and I'd really like to get it. I am a little nervous about its size though. With the Neo2, I'm not sure if it'll fit between the 6800's heatsink and the RAM. If it does, it will be a very tight fit.

11. Blue fan at the front, blue fan at the back.

12. The best sound system out there :D I can't wait

13. Win XP Pro for $141? Who wouldn't get that?

So there you are. Right now, my total comes to $2787.72, including shipping. I obviously won't be buying this system till I have the money, so with decreasing part costs, I'm not expecting to have the money till at least Christmas. But for now I can sit and drool at my laptop :)

What do ya think?

Raptor that sounds like a kick ass package right there. Everything on there is top notch an that price is excellent.

1. Antec Super Lanboy: Nice case I prefer a taller case but I usually have 4 different drives installed an theres a heat issue that I like to deal with by having a taller case. The price is excellent an it looks like a quality mid ranger case.

2. Ultra Xconect 500W PSU: Wow beauty. I use a 550 but that should def suffice. Specs show that you should have a min of 480 with the 6800 Ultra not sure with the GT but I always try to get a high watt PS. The looks of that are kick ass.

3. AMD FX-53 Socket 939: Kick ass. Just bought a 64bit 3000 for my server Thursday.

4. MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum: Kick ass board we've got one in the shop an Ive seen afew gaming monkeys drooling over it when they come in.

5. Leadtek NVidia GeForce 6800 GT w/ 256 MB DDR3: Great card an it comes with 16 pipe lines compard to the 12 of the X800 Pro. You have read my post on the bios flash which turned my Pro into a XT PE. it works read my post if your interested.

6. Audigy 2 ZS: Great

7. Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM 512 Mb x2 (1 Gb total): My buddy runs it an it clocks pretty good. Geil, OCZ an Mushkin offer some good deals too.

8. Seagate 120 Gb HD, 7200 rpm: Well if money an storage space isnt an option I would go with a WD Raptor 74 gig. At 10,000 RPM its alot performance without actually going SCSI.

The prices are still high on these drives an I believe they only come in 36gig an 74.

9. NEC 8x DVD+/-RW x2: Great.

10. Zalman Copper CPU Heatsink: Havent used one of these but it sounds good from the specs let me know how it works out for ya.

11. Thermaltake 120mm Blue LED Case fan: Well if you like all the pretty lights I guess this is good for you.

12. Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra: Not sure what your paying for the Klipsch. I have Klipsch for my own system an everyone that comes over here says the sound great. I normally have a headset on so I dont get to use there full potential. :-(

Also take a look at the Creative Labs Gigaworks 7.1 if you have the cash. These are rated pretty high.

13. Windows XP Pro: All my own systems use Pro.

For some reason, I can't edit my post... so I'll just post a new one :D

The Ultra XConnect should be a kick butt PSU. What with the great cords and cord system, and 500 Watts, it should be more than enough for another few systems. It's supposed to be really stable as well.

The 6800, I was reading some things about it. With the included heatsink, people were overclocking it to Ultra speeds, something like 420/1100 over the default 375/1000. But I think what finally threw me to the 6800 over the X800 was the 16 pipelines over the 12.

I actually messed up on the RAM. I am looking at buying four 256 MB sticks as of right now, not two 512. I got messed up, thinking too much :D

The Zalman shown there is the A version. I want the B version, it's lighter and better at dispersing heat, but I couldn't find it on newegg yet.

And last, the Klipsch. Those lovely pieces of heaven :) Of all the reviews I've seen the Gigaworks actually have better mids, but I've had my hands on the Klipsch before, and they are awesome. The mids sound great, the tweeter is supposed to be awesome, and the sub... yes. That is what makes this entire system worth the $350, the sub. Dual 8 in drivers, 170 Watts, and I havn't heard one bad thing about them (as a matter of fact, every review says that they just stood there and drooled for a little while :lol:). Tight, deep, loud bass. It just can't be beat.

1. Why 2x DVD-R/RW?

I can understand 1x DVD-ROM & 1x DVD-R/RW but....

By the time you get around to buying this you will more likely be getting NEC3500 16x drives for the same price.

2. By Xmas there will be other worthy socket 939 boards to consider (there are now) & it wouldn't surprise me if the PCI-E equipped boards start to show up by then.

3. I would reconsider about the 256Mb sticks - at some point you will want to try over 1Gb, you won't have any free slots & then you will be throwing stuff out.

1. Why 2x DVD-R/RW?

I can understand 1x DVD-ROM & 1x DVD-R/RW but....

By the time you get around to buying this you will more likely be getting NEC3500 16x drives for the same price.

I definatly want two optical drives. And if I found a good quality drive that is the right color, why not get two?

2. By Xmas there will be other worthy socket 939 boards to consider (there are now) & it wouldn't surprise me if the PCI-E equipped boards start to show up by then.

True, I will be continually on the lookout for newer/better boards. As for PCIE, it'd be nice, but video cards have yet to push the limits of AGP, and by the time they do, I'll be on the lookout for a new board anyways.

3. I would reconsider about the 256Mb sticks - at some point you will want to try over 1Gb, you won't have any free slots & then you will be throwing stuff out.

Yeah, I thought about that. That's why I asked about it. BUT... I just checked, it's cheaper to get the two 512 sticks then the four 256 sticks... guess that answers that question :D

Edited by PG_Raptor

I definatly want two optical drives.  And if I found a good quality drive that is the right color, why not get two?

I'm all for 2x optical drives I just can't see why you need to spend the extra cash to have 2x DVD-R/RW when 1x DVD-ROM & 1x DVD-R/RW will do - but hey, it's your cash :).

True, I will be continually on the lookout for newer/better boards.  As for PCIE, it'd be nice, but video cards have yet to push the limits of AGP, and by the time they do, I'll be on the lookout for a new board anyways.

Again I agree about AGP not having reached it's limits however the future is PCI-E & as you will be starting afresh (not carrying over a gfx card) I would be looking to PCI-E.

Chances are that the best enthusiast boards will be PCI-E & as for the possibility of SLI eek.gif

:P drool....

That's gonna be a great Folding machine.... cause that's what you're getting it for, right? Right? :blink:

LOL.

Chances are that the best enthusiast boards will be PCI-E & as for the possibility of SLI

sli..I was never happy with setting up something like it,tried it once with two voodoo cards...was a disaster

:P  drool....

That's gonna be a great Folding machine.... cause that's what you're getting it for, right?  Right? :blink:

LOL.

Why do you think I'm getting such a heavy duty CPU heatsink ;)

As far as a CPU heatsink goes, have you considered this: http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-tri-12.html

I have one on my P4 2.4 Northwood, I got it in anticipation of getting a 3.2 Prescott. Park a 120mm fan on it and my CPU temps (using MBM5, MotherBoard Monitor 5 a free utility) have gone from 58-64 under load(with the stock heatsink), to 46-54 under load. You can read more about it on the Thermalright website. 5 heatpipes!!!

Edited by Growler67