Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

EF-4C, 81st TFS, USAFE

EF-4C, 81st TFS, USAFE

EF-4C 'Phantom' WW IV 81st TFS Skin Pak

-- For FULL-4 Merged SF2 (Prefered) and/or SF2:V/SF2:E =ONLY!!!=

(it can acutally be used in any SF2 install that has the access to the F-4C_67)

This is to fill a request presented to me by daddyairplanes, to add a new skin for the 81st TFS, 52nd TFW, USAFE, based at Spangdahlem AFB from 1973-79ish, where they were the only SEAD-dedicated squadron in theatre. The EF-4Cs were replaced by F-4G WW Vs, which were in turn replaced by F-16CJs. Even though the 81st now flys Hogs, but, ya get the picture! <grin>

It is designed to add to the "sf2 EF-4C Update Pak" released recently. You can find the update pak at CombatAce, at the following URL:

http://combatace.com/files/file/11630-ef-4c-phantom-wild-weasel-iv-for-sf2/

It should be noted, that =THIS= skin is for a European based squadron, so if installilng into a stand-alone SF2:E -make double damn sure you have the F-4C_67 avialabile on you planes list!!!!! (Merged installs, and those users that have run the SF2E.exe to create a SF2E mods folder should have the aircraft already) When in doubt about mods folders, consult the CA Knowledge Base.

As always, READ the enclosed readme for full, detailed instructions. This package has been broken down into the various folders that SF2 needs, to make it a LOT easier to install (read: drag and drop).

Good Hunting!

Wrench

kevin stein

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    12/29/2010
  • Category
    F-4

Another nice work Wrench.

Question: On this skin you have the formation strip light. On the EF-4C that you uploaded, it does not have the strip lights. How do you make the strip light? Is it .LOD specific or you can make one through the making of the skin.

I send a message to Sundowner to ask this question as well.

Thanks

skin specific, as the slimers are painted on (thanks to Sundowner, whose slimers I shamelessy borrowed from one of his skins and copy/pasted -via layers- into the original skin bmps) The VertFin slimer is a decal, from Crab_02's original mod fron 2004(ish??)

If you look in the original EF-4C download, in the 67thTFS skin folder, you'll find a sub-folder titles "skin with slimers", containing the _1 and _5 bmps. The Vietman-used versions didn't have them, but I included the 2 extra skin maps because I simply forgot to remove them, and forgot to mention them in the readme. Hence, for this one, it was a simple matter of making 4 new decals (well, actually, the SP/YellowFlash is TKs, renamed) and the 2 squadron and wing badges

I actually haven't studied the mapping of the other F-4Cs, but all the skin bmps should work on all versions, with a simple rename to match (ie: remove the _67 for a planejane F-4C)

AFAIK, slimers really didn't start appearing until the mid/late 70s

You can add lights to the slimers, using the usual methods (like landing lights -which I didn't add but should have -) but they'd just be 'point sources'. SLimers can be made to illuminate, but you'd need to make a self-illuminatin tga or some other 'glowy' material applied to that spot on the lod via 3d MAX. IIRC, some TMF Phantoms do that, but can't remember which ones!

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Kevin,

Thanks for the quick reply and the information.

Looks like a lot more practice and trial/ error for me to make a good skin.

Steve