Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Ok post your thoughts of RoF here

JM,

Ahh.. aren't we demanding lil' critters these days??

And most importantly...We have the unmitigated gall to have the expectation that a released, non Beta, would actually work. Who knew? :dunno:

Yup, because history has shown that only occurs a minority of the time.

Evidently there was a memo that went out that said ALL new games are to be released half finished for full price, but I guess I missed it :grin: On the RoF front, I managed to pot an Albatross the other day that landed in a heap in front of a church. Most appropriate.

Again, I HAVE seen that many posts making those assertions, not in this thread necessarily, but around the net for months and months.

The problem is that making a sim is time-consuming and expensive and something has to give. What would you be willing to put up with to get these extra non-flyable planes just flying around?

A) Worse graphics, either in appearance or performance

B) Worse AI, either being cow-stupid or Terminator-accurate

C) Laggy MP

D) constant crashes/game instability

E) poor flight modeling

F) poor damage modeling

G) fewer ground targets, maybe they could just have the WWI equivalent of "comm building" for every mission?

RoF does good on all those areas. It DOES have 2 seaters, one for each side. So instead of seeing a variety of different types of 2 seaters, when you see a German one you know it's a DFW CV. Is that really so bad?

There are many areas that RoF still needs to improve on. Personally I'd rather have zeppelins before more 2 seaters because they were important too. After all, we DO have 2 seaters to both fly and fly against. Hence it seems like the focus on the fact that there aren't more of them seems to be disproportionate to the actual issue.

Sorry but it's a fallacious argument - a variant of what's known as a 'strawman argument', in debating circles - to express the choice as between (i) getting 'crap' in one or more of your chosen categories of A to G or (ii) getting even a single representative RFC/RAF 2-seater to provide a semblance of realistic air operations involving that service. It's also a fallacious argument to suggest that desiring such a relatively modest thing, if not at the outset then by now, is some form of unrealistic perfectionism, to the detriment of anything less than perfection ever being produced. Another strawman argument.

If anything, I'd certainly have preferred an RE8 (for example) to the sort of aircraft gadgets or modification packages that RoF's developers are spending time working on now, which is taking the work on RoF in a direction that will make me less, rather than more, likely to buy it, even when I have a graphics card which will enable me to get good results with it. I suppose I should be glad that 777 are not working on a Cliffs of Dover-style girl to sit on the pilot's lap - I'm still hoping that 1C didn't actually do that and that it's just a story put about to discredit CoD :) http://simhq.com/for.../3280783/1.html

RoF's planeset may be fine for those whose priority is MP action; or for those who are content to fly US, German or French ops only but it is inadequate for a would-be SP virtual flyer who, like me, wants primarily to fly a realistic range of sorties for, or against, the RFC/RAF. The planes that did most of the real work in WW1 were the 2-seaters - mostly on art obs or photo recce duties, sometimes on bombing or contact patrols - and the job of the scouts/fighters - the job you should find yourself regularly doing, as a virtual scout pilot, in a WW1 sim - was to bring them down or otherwise stop them. A WW1 air combat sim that doesn't provide at least one representative RFC/RAF 2-seater is no use to me. That's my view - expressed in moderate and rational terms, in a thread titularly designed to ellicit such views. It's a perfectly reasonable view, shared by others, whether you like it or not. I'm not going to change your views and you're not going to change mine, so let's just leave it there.

Edited by 33LIMA
  • Like 1

If anything, I'd certainly have preferred an RE8 (for example) to the sort of aircraft gadgets or modification packages that RoF's developers are spending time working on now, which is taking the work on RoF in a direction that will make me less, rather than more, likely to buy it, even when I have a graphics card which will enable me to get good results with it. I suppose I should be glad that 777 are not working on a Cliffs of Dover-style girl to sit on the pilot's lap - I'm still hoping that 1C didn't actually do that and that it's just a story put about to discredit CoD :) http://simhq.com/for.../3280783/1.html

RoF's planeset may be fine for those whose priority is MP action; or for those who are content to fly US, German or French ops only but it is inadequate for a would-be SP virtual flyer who, like me, wants primarily to fly a realistic range of sorties for, or against, the RFC/RAF. The planes that did most of the real work in WW1 were the 2-seaters - mostly on art obs or photo recce duties, sometimes on bombing or contact patrols - and the job of the scouts/fighters - the job you should find yourself regularly doing, as a virtual scout pilot, in a WW1 sim - was to bring them down or otherwise stop them. A WW1 air combat sim that doesn't provide at least one representative RFC/RAF 2-seater is no use to me. That's my view - expressed in moderate and rational terms, in a thread titularly designed to ellicit such views. It's a perfectly reasonable view, shared by others, whether you like it or not. I'm not going to change your views and you're not going to change mine, so let's just leave it there.

The Harry Tate is coming and the pending new career mode will have photo recon and artillery directing functions which was the real role of the air services on both sides.

"New types of gameplay, such as adjusting artillery fire or photo reconnaissance, with new interactive elements and equipment such a wireless radio and/or camera added to your plane. You can also watch real-time changes in the world based on the results of your actions such as corrected artillery fire."

See here for more http://riseofflight....areer-Mode.aspx

The Harry Tate is coming and the pending new career mode will have photo recon and artillery directing functions which was the real role of the air services on both sides.

"New types of gameplay, such as adjusting artillery fire or photo reconnaissance, with new interactive elements and equipment such a wireless radio and/or camera added to your plane. You can also watch real-time changes in the world based on the results of your actions such as corrected artillery fire."

See here for more http://riseofflight....areer-Mode.aspx

Wow, that is great news. I'd have been quite happy with an AI RE8 to fill the gap in the RFC lineup, flyable is better still, but the ability to adjust artillery fire and do some real 2-seater stuff, now that will be really something, which would give RoF a unique selling point. Then we can find out what it feels like to be the hunter (doing the important work) rather than the hunter (getting all the glory). Good stuff!

I hope it's true, and I hope that OFF P4 can match that - it's a definite USP for a WWI aerial warfare game. Let's just hope that it appears in a timely fashion.

Alpha autumn textures. Coming soon.

"Then we can find out what it feels like to be the hunter (doing the important work) rather than the hunter (getting all the glory). Good stuff!"

Lima - I'm already suffering like this in a BE2c/RE8 campaign with a Briddish pilot stationed at various places in Flanders from 1916 onwards. December 1917, still not dead, but it's getting harder.....If I make it to March 1918, we get Brisfits! Hurrah! This is in OFF, of course.

Sounds good - I have just ordered OFF Phase 3, myself, which I plan to play alongside First Eagles 2, my current favourite. I have OFF Phase 2 but rather hate the AI - CFS3 was never a good dogfighting sim and its AI seemed unable to cope with WW1 planes, even worse than CS2's (in the Combat Aces add-on); frequent crashes on takeoff, poor formation flying, and repetitive 'roller coaster' combat manoeuvring, which I believe is much improved in Phase 3, along with the many other improvements. Looking forward to it, especially playing Bloody April-era campaigns.

Have to confess a soft spot for the much-maligned BE2c; a really elegant plane, suffering mainly from an engine ok for 1914 but hopelessly underpowered by 1917. Always remember as a teenager on my first visit to London, seeing the BE that was hung from the roof in the Imperial War Museum.

After me, now: "The Be2c is my bus, therefore shall I want, He maketh me to come down in green pastures, He leadeth me where I do not wish to go..."

Edited by 33LIMA