Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Another Format :(

Getting fed up with this formatting lark!..opened a program yesterday Windoze 7 crashed...blue screens galore...have been trying all day to get it up and running again..it did, though very intermitantly...lost my patience now...format c:....bugger!

Sorry to hear that, Widowmaker. I guess I've been fortunate that I haven't yet had any problems with my Win 7 rig. Maybe my bad luck ran out when the hard drive of my XP machine died... at least for now.

It seems we'll never get rid of those blue screens. Just how long have they been around? Since Win 95?

I hate doing it..but try to do it once a year...though usually it's because of a crash etc that forces the issue.

Only recently I had a total system crash and lost all my pilots due to a reinstall.

I know how you feel, Simon!

Blue screens of death can, and often are, hardware faults or intermittent hardware failures. Don't disount the fact that you may have a component defect. Problems with DVD drives, video cards, and add in sound cards can sometimes cause these.

WM,

Check ur memory on the motherboard.

Swap them around.

How much RAM do you have installed?

How many memory slots are availible on the MB? if you have 6 memory slots and only use 2 slots for ur RAM make sure they are installed in the correct slots.

"Blue screen of Death" = hardware and software conflicts

m

Thanks guys...yup, I've done all that Hardware checking...It's 'almost' certainly software related...the only thing I can't check is Mobo and CPU

Need to reinstall windows to be sure now

My crashes recently were caused by memory problems, I'm pretty sure now.

It wasn't even broken - my "computer assistent friend" had overclocked the CPU,

which resulted in wrong speed values for the memory sticks.

Sometimes it would still work, but if much memory was needed - crash, boom, blue!

Now I have gone back to the default value of 2,83 GHz for the CPU, and the value for

the mem sticks shows the correct 1066 - and everything works fine again.

I would like to thank Parky, von Paulus and Plug_Nickel here again for their patient

advices to a Neandertal Man.

Edited by Olham

It seems we'll never get rid of those blue screens. Just how long have they been around? Since Win 95?

I think since Windows 1.0.

I heard a long time ago that Micro$oft was developing a new OS.

It has portability of Win CE

It has the ease of use of Win ME

and the network-ability of Win NT

It'll be called Windows CEMENT

BTW, appropriate little movie with Data on it Winston. I guess we can expect problems int the 24th century?

Windows CEMENT - hm, sounds reliable.

Although - not as good as Windows Concrete would. :grin:

Sorry to learn you are having computer issues WM. I feel your pain Sir. Hope you can sort it out soon.

I think since Windows 1.0.

I heard a long time ago that Micro$oft was developing a new OS.

It has portability of Win CE

It has the ease of use of Win ME

and the network-ability of Win NT

It'll be called Windows CEMENT

BTW, appropriate little movie with Data on it Winston. I guess we can expect problems int the 24th century?

Ha Ha Ha! Like that.

Cement software sounds the perfect compliment to the powdered hydraulic lime and stone dust I add to my hardware. It's very helpful stuff to identify where the problem occurs.

If the PC goes down, you just follow the dust and it leads you right to the trouble spot almost every time. Don't ask me how it works, but the Engineer just opens the box and in a split second - "Yup, I think I can see the problem" - just like that. It's bloody good stuff.

He asks what the hell is that stuff?, but my lips are sealed. Hey, I discovered it, it's my special secret..... :grin:

It's tried and tested too. Show the Engineer a clean PC without the crap and stone dust in it, and it takes him ages to find the problem. :rofl:

Windows CEMENT - hm, sounds reliable.

Although - not as good as Windows Concrete would. :grin:

Currently Mircosoftie is adding an windows up grade to Windows Concrete called New Concrete with Rebar:jester:

Windows Millennium, Windows Vista, Windows CEMENT... now I wouldn't mind seeing Windows That Actually Works Like Advertised some day. :cool:

Getting fed up with this formatting lark!..opened a program yesterday Windoze 7 crashed...blue screens galore...have been trying all day to get it up and running again..it did, though very intermitantly...lost my patience now...format c:....bugger!

Sorry for the late post or if I'm beating a dead horse. BSOD's generate the best system info as to why something went bump. Much better than trying to decipher memory dumps. Not to belabor the post, look here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/blue_screen_survival_guide

Absolute best info I've seen to date on the subject. Keep a copy of Hiren's CD available as well.

plug_nickel

I had a BSOD scare myself this morning! Turned out that Spybot TeaTimer had updated itself and was causing a software conflict with the OS. Unistalled the whole affair and reinstalled without TeaTimer and all is well again. I wish they could all be that easy.

Lou,

It's a damned good thing you didn't install the entire Spybot Tea & Crumpets feature, or you would have really been screwed. :heat:

Cheers,

Parky

I had a BSOD scare myself this morning! Turned out that Spybot TeaTimer had updated itself and was causing a software conflict with the OS. Unistalled the whole affair and reinstalled without TeaTimer and all is well again. I wish they could all be that easy.

Was it the digital or analog TeaTimer? I brew by taste myself.

plug_nickel

I brew my Assam blend for 3 minutes, then pour it off the leaves, before it gets bitter.

Drink it with a teaspoon of fresh cream, and a "Kluntje" (a candy rock?) Hmmmmm!!!

My magical potion to make it possible to get up AND stay awake!

Edited by Olham

...hee, hee, hee...you guys are a chuckle. Instead of TeaTimer I now run CoffeeCalculator. A perfect cup every time, and it blocks all that unwanted spam and malware too: Yet another fine product from Ronco, the same folks who brought you KrumpetKeeper, DonutDunker, and the Popiel Pocket Fisherman.

Must admit Lou I also use the CoffeeCalculator for Mornings and nights but the afternoon I have a wonderful switcher that changes to Teatimer with a side addon of Crumpetstogo and for Sundays its a CreamJamSconefixer. Well being English I am allowed these sorts of things... :drinks:

On a More Serious Note I have to do another Format this weekend thats the 4th one in four weeks just to get marvellous OFF running... Damn you Microswipe...

Slartibarfast, if OFF was already operational, and then went bad, you should first only

click the button "Reset OFF Manager" in "Workshops". If that failed, I also did "Reset CFS3".

That normally helps.

Can't help though, when you don't get it operational at all.

Edited by Olham