Sign in to follow this  
GunnySonics

My action photos from the Royal Navy

Hi guys I thought i would share some of my work photo's with you, some date back to the early 90's some more recent:-

Bucaneer taken through the pericope 1990

bucperiphot.jpg

Nimrod through the periscope 2004

cid_image003_jpg01C9E41B.jpg

North Pole 2004

DSCF1531.jpg

American Virginia Class "USS New Hampshire" 2009

0042.jpg

Out on the town with the "Russkies" in Bergen (Norway) 2008

019.jpg

Me in the middle (obviously)

015.jpg

My boat , Trafalgar class SSGN "HMS Turbulent" 2009

Turbsgeneralsubshot.jpg

thought i would share them :grin:

Edited by GunnySonics

:good:

thanks for sharing!!

wrench

kevin stein

in my 20 years of service I have found that the Russians are the hardest drinking sailors in the world, you do not want to end up in a bar with these guys if you need to be home the next day, they are crazy, a great laugh and they have my utmost respect but these guys could drink a shark under the table!!!!:drinks:

Great pics my friend!

!!!!!!! those were the days ....:drinks:

Houdoe

Derk

Edited by Derk

Great shots! I wasn't allowed to even speak to Russians, much less drink with them. I did get to meet some Canadian sub sailors on Vancouver Island while doing playing target on a torpedo range near Nanaimo. I gave them my ball cap for a beret. Still have the beret :)

Great shots! I wasn't allowed to even speak to Russians, much less drink with them. I did get to meet some Canadian sub sailors on Vancouver Island while doing playing target on a torpedo range near Nanaimo. I gave them my ball cap for a beret. Still have the beret :)

Streak:

I live just south of Nanaimo. What branch of the service were you in and when was this? Just curious...

cool pics :cool:

like the north pole!

you don't mess with russian guys when it comes to drinking :rofl:

The Russians may have had some real jerks as leaders, but the people have always been great.

The photos from the periscope are awesome. Great catches.

The shot with the Norwegian chick making out with the Russian dude is funny. It's typical of a bar girl; cigarette and cell phone in hand. ;)

The photos from the periscope are awesome. Great catches.

The shot with the Norwegian chick making out with the Russian dude is funny. It's typical of a bar girl; cigarette and cell phone in hand. ;)

The Norweigan women are very friendly :grin:

Glad you were in a Sub rather than me!!...wonderful pics though..That Buccaneer looks like he's going for it!

Streak:

I live just south of Nanaimo. What branch of the service were you in and when was this? Just curious...

I was a Submarine Sonar Tech in the United States Navy. I served from 1989 to 1997 (exactly 8 years). I was on USS Dolphin, AGSS-555, when I went to Canada (twice) to act as a torpedo target. Both times to the same range. Our sub was so small (165 feet, designed for a crew of 20 but manned by a crew of 40), that we stayed in a hotel in Nanaimo. I had trouble getting between the base and the town because the road was covered in maple leaves and frequently blocked by a moose. I went in October of 1995 and about the same time in 1996. The North Pacific is very cold, especially when 20 foot waves are coming down while standing lookout in the sail and cruising at 2-7 kts on the surface.

I was a Submarine Sonar Tech in the United States Navy. I served from 1989 to 1997 (exactly 8 years). I was on USS Dolphin, AGSS-555, when I went to Canada (twice) to act as a torpedo target. Both times to the same range. Our sub was so small (165 feet, designed for a crew of 20 but manned by a crew of 40), that we stayed in a hotel in Nanaimo. I had trouble getting between the base and the town because the road was covered in maple leaves and frequently blocked by a moose. I went in October of 1995 and about the same time in 1996. The North Pacific is very cold, especially when 20 foot waves are coming down while standing lookout in the sail and cruising at 2-7 kts on the surface.

The road was covered with maple leaves and frequently blocked by moose??..............I know this is a uphemism for something, I just cant figure it out for what :this: ......did your CO actually buy that story? :lol: .......seriously, what is that a code for?

.........I too am from Nanaimo (don't hold that against me)..........we have no moose........and not very many maple trees.

Gunnysonics thank you for the pics they are great especialy the ones from the periscope. Question the other shots taken what type of camera did you use...digital or wet film cam? If digital how many pixels per inch on the camera? And lastly you have a great mount what's its top speed and do you ever think you would consider a NO2 system for it. I have SUzuki 1100 Katana with an NITORUS OXIDE system too it i have been clocked at 192 mph but thats all in a straight line. Ounce again thanks for the pictures. :salute:

The road was covered with maple leaves and frequently blocked by moose??..............I know this is a uphemism for something, I just cant figure it out for what :this: ......did your CO actually buy that story? :lol: .......seriously, what is that a code for?

.........I too am from Nanaimo (don't hold that against me)..........we have no moose........and not very many maple trees.

The base where we moored was surrounded by trees. As we were there in October, the leaves were on the ground in such large quantities that the access road was indistinguishable from the shoulders. I drove a shuttle van between the hotel and the base on my duty days and had trouble following the road during the day and even more trouble at night. The large 4-legged animal with horns frequenly blocking the road must have been a Roosevelt Elk? Didn't ever get a good look at his head, always assumed it was a Moose since I was in Canada. I believe the Navy Research base we moored at was Nanoose. There was a buoy in the center of the bay and a bald eagle would circle around and then perch on it and scaring away all of the other birds and small animals (i.e. the area would go silent before I could even see the Eagle). I stood a lot of watches overnight in the cold and rain. Didn't really enjoy the trip other than seeing the Mk 50 torpedoes try to find us in shallow water at slow speeds. Hint: never, ever volunteer to be a diesel submarine sailor if a nuclear boat is available. Nuke boats are much more comfy, if a sub can ever be considered to be comfy.

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing Gunny.

The base where we moored was surrounded by trees. As we were there in October, the leaves were on the ground in such large quantities that the access road was indistinguishable from the shoulders. I drove a shuttle van between the hotel and the base on my duty days and had trouble following the road during the day and even more trouble at night. The large 4-legged animal with horns frequenly blocking the road must have been a Roosevelt Elk? Didn't ever get a good look at his head, always assumed it was a Moose since I was in Canada. I believe the Navy Research base we moored at was Nanoose. There was a buoy in the center of the bay and a bald eagle would circle around and then perch on it and scaring away all of the other birds and small animals (i.e. the area would go silent before I could even see the Eagle). I stood a lot of watches overnight in the cold and rain. Didn't really enjoy the trip other than seeing the Mk 50 torpedoes try to find us in shallow water at slow speeds. Hint: never, ever volunteer to be a diesel submarine sailor if a nuclear boat is available. Nuke boats are much more comfy, if a sub can ever be considered to be comfy.

Likely a Roosevelt Elk yes. No Moose on Van Island. Sorry to hear about your not so pleasant experience here. The Island is a wonderful place otherwise. Thanks for the stories Streak!

Thanks to you for your service to the UK. Well Done!