Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT: What's your 2011 game "Must Have" list?

Ah, Empire yes!...It has a shedload of Maps, which is good!...and there is an extremely good American Civil War mod for it too!...makes it worth having on it's own

American Civil War mod? I've heard nothing of this. TO GOOGLE!

My picks...

1. OFF Phase 4 ( naturally )

2. Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

3. Cliffs of Dover IL 2

4. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

It appears Wodin and I were separated at birth! :grin:

While there's nothing announced yet for 2011 I would also add any BBC Battlefield Academy expansion ( Eastern Front or perhaps the Pacific ). I'd also like to add another Brothers in Arms game to my collection. I recently downloaded Earned in Blood off Steam and just love it, even if the graphics are dated it is excellent for skirmish play. Nothing else quite like it. Love it!

Ratatat

Hey fellows, I feel like a traitor, not being around but have still been getting a little flight time in OFF and looking forward to P-4 and IL Cliffs of Dover. In the meantime, I have been with the DCS A-10 since the first beta was released and for any of you that like realism and more realism- this is a treat as exciting as OFF. Here is a short video, just one of many to view. The only drawback might be that there is no dynamic campaign, though the user made missions and regular type campaign are great and many. I'm not into the multiplayer scene but it is really gathering a following also. I 've always loved the A-10 because it is not your "fast mover" and with that powerful cannon and the realism of the model, it is really amazing.

Love the look of that RAS...not too fast for us 'mature' flyers!

Is it a download?..or a shop bought job?

@Ratatat....seems we are....an excellent list if I may say so....BA is a possibility sometime in the future.....do you frequent Matrix or The Wargamer forums per chance?

Love the look of that RAS...not too fast for us 'mature' flyers!

Is it a download?..or a shop bought job?

It's from the same developers of the KA-50. It's quite good so I hear.

If you pre-purchase you've access to the beta which is downloadble.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?scr=product&ProductId=8&end_pos=135&lang=en

@Wodin...this forum is the only one I am a member of. Other forums I just like to have a lurk.:grin:

I've been lurking at the Battlefront forum for over 10 years now. That must be some sort of record I think!

BBC Battlefield Academy is the nice surprise game for me for 2010. Great fun! It scratches the WW2 strategy itch while I wait for CM:BN.

Just found out Conflict of heroes is due out this year...it's a conversion of the boardgame...this has now been added to my to buy list....infact I've even gone and applied to Beta test!! Not like me.

I hope the new Combat Mission game won't disappoint. I wasn't terribly impressed by CM: Shock Force, mostly because its subject is so uninteresting to me. But with the series returning to WW2, I'm already interested. I have fond memories of the first, original Normandy Combat Mission.

I bought CMSF once all the problems where ironed out and even though I have no interest whatsoever in modern warfare or the fictional war in the game I loved it. The brit module really turned the game around and evened it up...also as the scenario makers got to know the game engine the new scenarios got better and better...the stock ones are terrible in comparison..

I know CM BN will be my all time favourite game series as tactical scale is really where my hearts at.

Edited by Wodin

Too bad nobody is interested in making a tactical level WW1 game. Contrary to popular opinion, battles such as the Somme or Verdun were not the whole war. There was also maneuver warfare, especially in the east where the front was longer and never as strongly fortified and defended as in the west. It would be interesting to simulate these battles in the Combat Mission engine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links guys. Yeah, I've heard about that game, Von Paulus, but like you said it's not really tactical. I'll keep an eye on its development though. Some of the strategic level games are so HUGE that I don't have either time or energy to play them. Just looking at pics of some of the biggest games of that genre makes me wonder just how on earth people have the energy to move and micro-manage all the different units each turn! But maybe that Commander is not one of those monster games.

WW1 mod for Total War? Is the game engine really suitable for such a modern conflict? I've always thought it works best in the medieval wars. Shogun was always my favourite in the series.

Shogun 2 will be out in a month or so and is expected to be legendary... :clapping:

I had a phase with Medieval 2 a couple of years ago. My 15 year old nephew plays a lot the series and I play the translator, as his english are not the best. :grin:

He has got the whole Total War series except from the initial Shogun title.

I was lurking at the site he usually takes his mods from, for Shogun 2 news and that's how I found this WWI mod.

Edited by elephant

@Hasse Wind I agree...and there is a tactical WW1 game in the making...Squad Battles will be doing a WW1 game...love this series PBEM...I'm damn sure WW1 is highly suited to the system aswell...it doesn't do 21 century warfare well but anything pre Vietnam it does very well indeed. Advance of the Reich and Red Victory being two of my favourites aswell as Korea and Winter War. Turn based aswell.

Squad Battles is my all time favourite PBEM game. I will be buying the WW1 game when released but I know it is still at least a year away.

Edited by Wodin

I have fond memories of the first, original Normandy Combat Mission.

It was actually Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord :). Glad you liked it. I used to work for what was then called Big Time Software, later Battlefront :).

Hell yes, Combat Mission was amazing. I still remember reading about it the first time, in EGM Magazine during 8th Grade Study Hall. Bullethead, my friend and I owe you big because we had -such- a great time with CMBO. To this day we reminisce about the epic Overlord/Barbarossa/Afrika Korps battles we fought.

It was actually Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord :). Glad you liked it. I used to work for what was then called Big Time Software, later Battlefront :).

Are yes CMBO one of my favourite games of all times. I should reinstall it again. I have a good RIP of my last install fully modded up and ready to go. I like CMBO game play better than CMBB & CMAK, a bit easier as well.

Since BattleFront went to activation I no longer buy their games, or visit the forums.

As for new games, I only buy games now that do not need activation, so as you can guess that takes away about 90%.

I have the Witcher 2 pre ordered from GoG.com just because it is protection free. Hope I like it.

Hopefully P4 will also be just like P3 install and forget, as I would hate to miss it.

I am also looking at Paradox, Matrix & Third Wire games that only use serials.

One of my friends sons will get Mass Effect 3 so I should be able to play it at their place when we visit. (Like M.E.2 to the wife's displeasure)

But I buy all the bargain bin games I see for less than $10.00 and over the years I have over 40 of these unplayed. By the time I try a lot of them I am betting the operating systems will not support them. Oh Well.

I picked up the original Shogun Total War just before Christmas for $2.00, I will give it a go soon.

Cheers MarkL

Did you play Witcher 1? I really liked it, played through it in the summer of '09. Used the enhanced edition to run it in its original Polish, was better that way since I could appreciate it without the sometimes iffy English voice acting (and I don't know Polish well enough to recognize good or bad VA). Witcher 2 will be great, and GoG is an amazing company, but if the Polish VA isn't available on release then I might hold off until it is.

These days I'm busy playing Okami on the Wii and The Longest Journey on PC. Both are SUCH well designed games, love them. I've got quite a backlog at the moment so last week I committed to clearing out my current games before I buy a new one. That means before I pick up Dragon Age 2, Witcher 2 or anything like that I'll have to finish:

Planescape Torment

Baldur's Gate 2 (about halfway through)

Okami (about halfway through)

The Longest Journey

Final Fantasy XIII

Valkyria Chronicles (almost done)

Dragon Age DLCs + Awakening (Have yet to play Leliana's Song/Witch Hunt/Awakening and I've never done the campaign with all the DLC)

Fallout New Vegas

So that'll take me a good long while, particularly since I've got school + writing + programming to work on. But that's ok, by the time I get around to buying this year's biggest baddest games they'll be dirt cheap, so win win.

Javito, you seem to have a similar problem with games as I have with books. I keep buying new ones faster than I can get through the old. :grin:

I do have that issue, it's true. Ironically I don't have that at all with books. Last month I read The World Undone, then I got Sagittarius Rising and read that, now I'm about to finish reading Food In History, have my next book lined up... very methodical, one at a time and orderly. Games though, I'm just all over the place. 'tis why I finally just decided to put a spending block on myself and finish what I already have good.gif