Sign in to follow this  
Lewie

Asking the inevitable question..

I love OFF. I have watched all the vids, read all I can about the sim, and have been following it closely since it was announced many years back.

Problem is I've been following the itch to build 3D models for a WWI sim for ages, and have spent considerable time with Targetware's 0.64 version Richthofen's Skies and here lately with ArgonV's wonderful but somewhat limited sim Fighter Squadron WWI.

I want to contribute to OFF, but my machines are ancient museum pieces I keep running with baling wire and Ebay used parts. A new system is just not in the works for me this time.

The Simple question, the one I dread asking here because it really shines a light on how not so well off I am is...

What kind of minimum system will run OFF in it's most basic, utilitarian state? I'm not expecting DX 10 Shader 2 abilities, but I am capable of DX9 vers B on my best machine, but it is limited by an old MX series NVidia 440 card with 64megs of vid RAM.

Yup, I know, pretty hopeless, I've been told repeatedly by smarter folks.

So I ask the experts here.

Cheers

Lewis

Some screenies from some RC models I've done for AFDP/Easyfly.

easyfly17.jpg

easyfly8.jpg

Lewie, perhaps this thread I only recently started, might be helpful:

http://combatace.com...post__p__468876

Yes, but I'm seeing user's machines that aren't what I'd consider minimum spec at least for OFF version 1 or 2. The screenshots for OFF from about 2008 aren't looking like there's a lot of polys or detail so I'm assuming my newest machine should run versions 1 or 2.

Or am I so completely out of the development loop in my assumptions, that OFF 3 and 4 are entirely different beasts?

This is what the big boys had to say on the subject

http://www.overfland....com/sysreq.htm

Yes read that already. It doesn't address the earlier versions though, does it?

We then must ask ourselves what is a REASONABLE EXPERIENCE is it anything like beauty ?

:blink: I'm sorry, that's a weird question, not sure how to reply..:dntknw:

http://www.overfland....com/sysreq.htm

Yes read that already. It doesn't address the earlier versions though, does it?

:blink: I'm sorry, that's a weird question, not sure how to reply..:dntknw:

If I might be so bold as to attempt to translate for our resident curmudgeon. I believe that Uncleal said that reasonable experience is like beauty... it's "in the eye of the beholder"

Also, don't concern yourself with the earlier versions (which I believe you were referring to). I don't think that they're available, and I'm pretty sure they're not supported. Basically, if you can run MS Combat Flight Simulator 3, you should be able to run OFF Phase 3 (Between Heaven and Hell)

If I might be so bold as to attempt to translate for our resident curmudgeon. I believe that Uncleal said that reasonable experience is like beauty... it's "in the eye of the beholder"

Also, don't concern yourself with the earlier versions (which I believe you were referring to). I don't think that they're available, and I'm pretty sure they're not supported. Basically, if you can run MS Combat Flight Simulator 3, you should be able to run OFF Phase 3 (Between Heaven and Hell)

Ah so it is, Thank you Jarhead, and S! I'll have to get the CD and try it out.

Curmudgeon? Heck, I just figured he was a New Yorker transplant. :grin:

Cheers

When I first started with OFF I had an AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz CPU 512 Mb PC133, GeForce 4 MX440 64Mb video card. It wasn't long before I saw it was hopeless and started collecting parts. That was early Phase 2. If you would like to try it, I'll send you a copy of Phase 2 final and all the trimmings. Just PM me your address.

Welcome aboard,

CJ

To answer the question:

I started playing BHaH two years ago with a 2.6MHz processor, ATI 1950XTX, 2Mb DDR memory in WindowsXP, with sliders at 32233 on a 1600X1200 monitor with very decent performance, frame rates averaging 30 per second. It was a satisfying experience, but I did experience some slowdowns in performance over airfields & the frontlines. I ultimately decided to upgrade to improve the game's "eye candy", requiring a faster processor and graphics card.

I was totally off base. When I saw the thread topic of "Asking the inevitable question..." I could have sworn the subject was "Why would anyone get married without a pre-nup?" :rofl:

My bad.

Hellshade

I was totally off base. When I saw the thread topic of "Asking the inevitable question..." I could have sworn the subject was "Why would anyone get married without a pre-nup?" :rofl:

My bad.

Love is blind through those rose colored glasses.

+1

plug_nickel

Actually Phase One is not unavailable I have it and all the upgrades on my hard drive (though not loaded). I'm kinda funny that way.

Beard

I should say that my newer machine is an AMD 64 2.0 Ghz processor, 2 G's of ram, laptop with the GeForce GO 440 64 Megs (MX 440) video card, so this looks like it should be able to run OFF phase 2 under CFS3? BTW thank you Cameljockey, PM sent.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. :bye:

Edited by Lewie

Ive been runing OFF with AMD 64 3800+ cpu Nvida 7600 Vid card 2 GB ram Dual 2.0 and I have used my wifes older 3.0 Pentium 4 gpu and Nvida 7300 le vid card 1 GB ram Both machines older than 5 years perhaps 6 So your rig should work

Edited by carrick58

Lewie,

Man, I hear ya...Tell you what. Send me a PM with some contact info (be patient, I'm in and out a lot). I have a few older fx5200 cards w/128M I'll gladly send you one if it's at all practical to do so. These are AGP cards, of course, so it wouldn't work for a laptop - but maybe you have a machine it would work on? In my experience, even older machines can run OFF. One tip: Make sure TERRAIN DETAIL TEXTURE on the Overrides tab of the graphics config is NOT checked. This cuts way back on requirements for terrain, I learned when trying to make older machies run OFF smoothly.

HTH

I can run OFF BHaH + HitR (P3 + addon) with reasonable framerates (still not always perfect!), with a 2.83 GHz CPU.

Below that, it is getting tricky, I'd say.

Edited by Olham