Sign in to follow this  
Luther1517

CFS3 and OFF stopped working

Greetings Folks (It's been awhile)

Running Win7-64 for over a year, OFF BHaH WAS running great.

This is the damnest thing..... I have not been able to do much "flying" the past few months, and when I went to start BHaH, the title page came up, then a blue/white box appeared "CFS3 has stopped working and will now shut down". What?? So I closed OFF, and tried to start CFS3 (with CD 2 in the drive), the title page came up, then the black and white title page with radio noise, then lock-up. I click the mouse button and return to the main title page, the the same blue/while error box. Nothing has change on my system that I know of....Same video drivers, secutiy software, ect. The CFS3 CDs were over 5 y/o and kind of scratched, so I spent $10 on new set. Still no go, even after completely removing CFS3 and OFF and restarting. CFS3 installs fine. I made the changes in the short-cut properties and updated the DirectX drivers. I am stumpped. What the *#@$#@ is keeping CFS3 from starting after it loads fine? I have even tried to look-up some of my old um, aquaintainces over at SOH for help.

One thing I am not sure of: In the short-cut for CFS3, the "Target" box reads: Program files\Microsoft Games\...While the "Start in" box reads: "C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\....

Does this make a difference? It did not before

Any Ideas??

System:

Intel Quad i7 860

Win7-64

ATI 5800

8 G RAM

Edited by Luther1517

Well, that last bit should definitely make a difference as those are two entirely different folders; the latter for your 32-bit items, and the former for everything else that is 64-bit compatible. Also, I have found over the years that CFS3 does not like sitting idle for months at a time, and will often require a complete delete and reinstall to get it up and running again.

Hope you get it sorted out soon Luther.

Lou

That's what I thought as well, Lou, but every thing ran fine as of 4 months ago (last time I started CFS3 of OFF). I did not have to make any changes when I first installed CFS3 to Win7-64, so why is it got the Funk now? Seems almost like a video issue....Since it loads fine, and FlightSimX works fine. Something with the video or DirectX is not letting it play correcty. Maybe one of the Support Guru's at OBD will have some ideas??

When doing unistall/reinstall don't for get to purge the files in:

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

That is where you will find the overrides and user xml files

Beard

I uninstall CFS 3 as soonas OFF has loaded...have no problems you don't even need to keep CFS 3 on your PC so t can't be that

Wow; interesting. I'm running W7 RTM 7600 Build 16385 which is W7 x64 Ultimate before retail release.

I run all of the following in C:\

OBDSoftware

CFS3.1a w/ Martins copy of original to use w/ FirePower

PTO

KTCS

ETO

MAW

First Eagales

FSX Acceleration

X-Plane 9

Wings of Prey

IL-2 1946 w/ JSGME Enabler

Pacific Fighters

Mig Alley w/ BDG_85F Update

TrackIR4 Pro

FOXY

T.A.R.G.E.T

I don't install in (x86) or under MS Game folder. The file structure and trees all remain intact. All W7 updates are current as are .Net Framework 3, DX9.0c and MS Visuals C++ 2008.

The only program that I haven't been able to install in C:\ is CH Manager. It gives no option but P.F. (x86).

Any program that requires a CD to run is done so from an ISO image mounted in a virtual drive.

I've uninstalled and re-installed OFF/HiTR and CFS3 several times w/o complaints. I learned the hard way with FSX when I didn't use the cd to uninstall FSX the first time. Boy, what a freaking nightmare!!!!!!!

I try to keep every app in C:\ since x64 was introduced. Prior to that, I would install to C:\ and not P.F. if I was given the option.

I'm suspecting you may have some reg entry files that weren't correctly overwritten during the re-installs and have subsequently been trashed. CFS3 (and FSX) is very peculiar in that you should always uninstall using CD-1. It'll keep their respective reg entries intact in the various REG_SZ locations.

But then again, I might be wrong: mileage does vary greatly when traveling x64 highway.

plug_nickel

Like my old man used to say "Even a blind pig will find an acorn if he roots around long enough"........oink....oink

The villain was a setting within the sound/headphone card set-up (Creative Labs Fatal1ty X-Fi). A check-box for 'Hardware Acceleration' was checked. I unchecked that, which reduced the sampling rate bit depth to 24 bit, 48000 Hz (default) from the 24 bit, 192000 Hz I was using while making DVD/CD copies for people over Christmas. It seemed odd that CFS3 would hang on the black/white title screen with the radio noise, now I know why.

I happened to find a reference to this HW Acceleration check-box on a MS support forum for CFS3 under MS Games---who would have thunk it?

Thanks to everyone here who took the time to respond with ideas and thoughts.

See ya in the funnies...

Edited by Luther1517

Like my old man used to say "Even a blind pig will find an acorn if he roots around long enough"........oink....oink

I happened to find a reference to this HW Acceleration check-box on a MS support forum for CFS3 under MS Games---who would have thunk it?

See ya in the funnies...

Well I for one sure as heck hadn't thunk it. Since I use on board sound, I haven't had to play sound technician in years when troubleshooting. What tipped you off? Was it the "black and white page with radio noise?"

Just curious.

plug_nickel

To be honest with you, I thought the CFS3 CD # 2 was so severly scratched that it would not run properly. Now I read here that the CFS3 CD is not even needed for OFF to run....So much for MY trouble shooting skills. :help:

The black/white sound page did give me a small light bulb, then when I read the reference to the sound card setting on the MS support board, it gave me a staring point.

I am also running a Creative Labs add-on app Volume Panel .exe that conrtols the I/O settings and Modes.

I had no idea that enhacning the bit rate and samplng depth would hang an APP...Live and Learn