Sign in to follow this  
ThomasDWeiss

X800 and LOCK ON

I had to send my ATI9800 128MB RMA, so I got an X800PRO 256 as a replacement , and found some interesting things about it.

(I read this thread that Faust posted , so I knew I had to change the aperture size

http://forum.biohazcentral.com/index.php?showtopic=6159 )

I had to increase the aperture size to 256MB RAM to match the on-board memory (to fix graphic tearing) and use AA x4 plus AF x2 to improve image quality.

I used a mission from the mission pack I uploaded here to test the X800, and the results were quite interesting:

FPS did not improve that much, perhaps 25% to 40% depending on how much action was going on - image quality improved a lot.

If there is a lot of action, FPS drops to half.

There is once in a while a slight stutter.

I also managed to improve the graphic settings without losing FPS.

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

So, if you got a good CPU (I have a P4 2.8) a GIG of RAM and an ATI9700 or an ATI9800 you will not gain FPS by changing cards, but image quality will get quite a nice boost.

IMHO with you have a good card, changing the CPU is a better investment.

Edited by ThomasDWeiss

Well, yes and no. I don't have an FPS issue with the X800pro card since I used the 9800 settings in LOMAN, then tweaked it slightly by having the water effects set to high and moving the rest of the settings to their highest. On the AVI control panel I set the game to highest and my aperture had already been set to 256Mb. That and having the latest Catalyst drivers help. I'm pretty satisfied with the card and do agree you have to upgrade your processor. I have a Pentium 4 2.8 as well. All my other games like Doom 3 looks fabulous with no framerate drop on highest settings.

I had the same problem you had - saw thru the carrier deck, it went back to normal as soon as I increased the AGP aperture size to 256.

I will also go back to my old 9800 settings - I pushed the FPS as far as I dared with those missons of mine.

They should have changed the labels from low/medium/high to a CPU range like 1.0/2.0/3.0+ and everybody would have been more happy with Lock On.

Flight sims have been notorious for boasting next-generation graphics. LOMAC included. I believe it will be pushing the envelopes on cards and other hardware that come out over the next year or so easily.

It is a weird feeling purchasing a game and knowing full well that it will put your current PC to shame because toggling all graphics settings to high is strictly for "tomorrow's computers." :rolleyes:

I'm glad you were all able to get the graphics tearing and other issues sorted out. :D It is an awesome game with high replay-ability once you get it to run smoothly on your system.

But won't you be dissapointed when it's all maxed out and you can't tweek it just a little bit more? Ok, for a while you weill be happy but how long will that last? I'm glad they did it this way so we can "grow" into the game.

Off topic a bit, did you have to warranty your card Thomas or did you buy another one? I am waiting to get mine back from my 3rd time warranting out the stupid thing. But when it ran, it ran great!

ATI sent me an email today, they will ship me a brand new ATI9800 and it should arrive in a couple of days.

Now I have two cards :D !

I am impressed by ATI - they provide a three year warranty , better than NVidia, whose representative here in Sao Paulo was as unhelpful as he could be, so I bought the 9800 and now an X800.

Hopefully tour card will arrive soon, mine took five weeks.

Yeah, this is my 3rd time (and I made sure I told them that!) so I'm hopeing they get it right this time around. I have been without my computer for about 2 months trying to figure out the problem. But it seems to be the card...so heres to luck.

They should send you a new one!

After a while I was looking at screenshots I took ... and tried to remember the fun I had flying Lock On.

;)

Here are some screenshots that I took that are better in showing what an X800 can do

I had to pause the game for these screenshots

(1600x1200)

LockOn2004-10-0712-05-21-15.jpg

at 1152x768

LockOn2004-10-0520-58-22-01.jpg

and image quality is simply great,

Without clouds 1152x768

LockOn2004-10-0622-22-43-15.jpg

With clouds, 1152x768 - FPS remains the same!

LockOn2004-10-0519-06-17-26.jpg

When there is a lot of things going on, FPS goes DOWN!

LockOn2004-10-0518-46-07-04.jpg

The conclusion is that, overall, an X800 gives you much much improved graphics, THE COLORS ARE VIVID! objects are rendered better, you can improve detail settings, add more trees, retain the original explosions, clouds and add lights - and still get an average of 20+ FPS.

-

This last one was taken at 1600x1200 with the game NOT paused.

LockOn2004-10-0722-25-14-79.jpg