Sign in to follow this  
Nick Tselepides

How do you use your flightsimming time?

:huh: I thought I would ask you to describe how you use your flightsimming time, so we all get an idea what many members do when playing (or simming) in a game or flight simulation.

Starting with myself, I spend about 3 hours each day flying, but not continuously of course-- it may be 1 hour in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, and the rest in the evening.

:P About 40 minutes of this is Strike Flighters, but again not continuously--I intersperse this with flights in FS2002/04, mainly to get out of the stress of War and Fighting and relax, :huh::huh: usually in nice landscapes like Alaska with a single-engine plane from the 30s usually, or doing aerobatics in a Tiger Moth or flying the Spitfire at 200 feet above the Athens runway lengthwise along it and spinning it as I go--if I want a thrill, or, testing my own repaints and retesting how they look after each Photoshop session. This last bit is time spent in creative work and needs a lot of concentration and notes before the texture if further skinned in Photoshop, and is hard work--more demanding than say installing an aircraft add-on manually, and more rewarding as well. I cannot, no matter how I have tried, stick to one sim/game and often I do sidetrips into CFS2 for bombs and shooting, or very rarely into IL-2FB for a look at its graphics (nothing else in it agrees with me, really, and I find its interface difficult, inflexible and user-unfriendly). Strike Fighters is very user-friendly for me, and the MS Sims, once one gets addicted, are impossible to stay away from.

:ph34r: To all this is added about 2 hours each day installing add-ons, with the backclog of thigs downloaded but not yet installed always rising in volume, and never to diminish.

Occasionally, I will spend a whole day --7-9 hours with breaks--repainting one a/c in five or six liveries--but that is about once a week.

So, thus a day passes....

Edited by Nick Tselepides

Great post Nick, you too huh?

After about 4 billion years of evolutionary struggle and once I have taken care of all of my daily life’s necessities, my delight is to sim and to read and yap completely pointlessly about simming, and as you say, to expend many hours of living time doing incredibly detailed and tedious work upon sim related stuff—which I have no qualms about doing.

I don’t know what that’s all about, but it seems like a perfectly natural bipedal hominid type thing to do. It sure is a peculiar technoculture, but I seem to love complexity and experimentation for its own sake, and I don’t fight it now, it feels ‘right’ for some reason.

However, I also go through periods when I don’t go near the PC for a year or more, and that’s fine with me as well, but that’s usually when there is no ‘hot’ new hardcore combat sim on the horizon to explore or work on. I don’t like to mix sims as you do though, I learn one in detail, them dump it and move on to the next big thing; I don’t like them to overlap or compete for my time.

Interesting what you said about IL-2FB though, because it has that very same effect on me as well. I tend to put it down to the fact that I've never been interested in historical sims, only sims of contemporary tech.

I’m post-LOMAC right now, I tried to stay interested in it but no luck, but have started salivating in the general direction of “Dangerous Waters”, so the wheel turns once more ...

Maybe I’ll go do something constructive in the ‘real world’ until DW arrives. ;)

Edited by finiteless

finiteless,

Yes, many similarities between us.

As you say, if it feels right, why not? That remindes me what Robert Peterson told me once when I was 22 or so and had doubts about some things:

"Nick, follow you heart and mind always--do what you feel like doing".

Robert is a California poet and a nice man. His advice stood me in good stead eversince.

The alternative would be not to do what you feel like doing, and wind up frustrated and suffering needless psycho-effects.

Where do you live, by the way?

finiteless,

Yes, many similarities between us.

As you say, if it feels right, why not? That remindes me what Robert Peterson told me once when I was 22 or so and had doubts about some things:

"Nick, follow you heart and mind always--do what you feel like doing".

Robert is a California poet and a nice man. His advice stood me in good stead eversince.

The alternative would be not to do what you feel like doing, and wind up frustrated and suffering needless psycho-effects.

Where do you live, by the way?

Robert the poet was a smart guy then I reckon. ;)

I came very close to death a few times in quick succession when 6 and the experience had a lasting effect on my outlook. I don't worry too much about what anyone thinks or says about what I do with my life, I've seen how easily it slips away when you least expect that to occur, so I live as you say, doing what I love to do, and as a result have no particular commitment to social consistency or the imposed expectations of others, or their 'important' concerns. Whatever life serves up, that’s fine by me. :)

I once heard someone once call that a ‘fatalistic’ outlook (said as though it's a great ‘tragedy’ lol), whatever that means. I just live and enjoy what I do, as I do it, don’t care why, not interested in trying to be other than what I love doing, and it just seems to involve a fair amount of simming for the past few years.

Nice to meet you Nick, I’m living in Queensland Australia.

If no one is on the Biohaz server, I'll generally pick up my handy dandy AFD and a sectional and go for a flight with some real world navigation.