Sign in to follow this  
mosherec

F-4S for SF2 glitch

I recently downloaded the F-4S for Strike Fighters 2 series from "Dave". Works wonderfully and looks great except that in cockpit view I noticed that ground objects blink in and out constantly. It is especially noticeable when overflying airfields, as whole sections of the runway will blink in and out. The F-4S is the only aircraft that has this problem. Any ideas what this might be and how to fix it?

Thanks.

It uses the default F-4J pit. If you check the cockpit folder it only has a gun sight in it. In the cockpit.ini it says

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=f-4j_pit.LOD

Position=0.0,6.28,0.62

It worked fine for me so maybe the default F-4J pit has the problem.

I recently downloaded the F-4S for Strike Fighters 2 series from "Dave". Works wonderfully and looks great except that in cockpit view I noticed that ground objects blink in and out constantly. It is especially noticeable when overflying airfields, as whole sections of the runway will blink in and out. The F-4S is the only aircraft that has this problem. Any ideas what this might be and how to fix it?

Thanks.

I am at work at the moment but what you need to do is look for in either the cockpit .ini or data.ini file, for a line that looks like SHOW OPEN COCKPIT=TRUE, to FALSE or something like that or is it USE OPEN COCKPIT =?

James Fox

James

Can you tell me how that affects things just for my education? I have never seen that problem before.

James

Can you tell me how that affects things just for my education? I have never seen that problem before.

Dave I still drive XP and I have encoutered this one alot. It seems Windows 7 drivers do not have that issue. The old DX 9 vs DX 10 again.

I am working towards a new Windows 7 system but I have so much other software to replace or up date I have been a little slow. Well I am off home now, cloudy here and really hot, very hot.

James Fox

The problem is you need the stock F-4J from SF2 Vietnam. Use the F-4E cockpit, or download SF2 Vietnam. I also made a what if F-4S+ using the F-14A Tomcat cockpit, avonics.

Edited by MAKO69

why use the Tomkat, when the EJ-Kai pit IS a Phantom pit, and has all the 'goodies'???? (it's what I used on the HAF AUP)

The "open cockpit" way is really NOT the way to go; what you use is the

CockpitCGOffset=TRUE

in the AircraftData section (again, making sure all the positioning IS correct in the cockpit ini)

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

why use the Tomkat, when the EJ-Kai pit IS a Phantom pit, and has all the 'goodies'???? (it's what I used on the HAF AUP)

The "open cockpit" way is really NOT the way to go; what you use is the

CockpitCGOffset=TRUE

in the AircraftData section (again, making sure all the positioning IS correct in the cockpit ini)

wrench

kevin stein

Yes I too use a the Kai cockpit, it has all the goodies and looks right. I only changed the hud colour and rwr. Now yesterday I could not remember the line in the Cockpit .ini, the line is "OPENCOCKPIT=TRUE". Change to FALSE, it works for me. But I have since retroed in the Kai Cockpit.

I am currently working additional skins for Spinners F-4M_89_NZ. and mine own F-4E_90_NZ . I have five skins now. Most are based on Sundowners F-4D and F-4E, plus some of TK's . I will need permission to upload Sundowners skins and Spinners Decals at some point in the future.

James Fox

the Kiwi bird look good!

BTW, both Spinners and Sundowner are freeware signatories; just give them credit and spell their names right in the readme! All is well!!

wrench

kevin stein

Sounds like the issue I described to Dave a while back. He mentioned something about the "Z-buffer".

I also have this issue with many of my aircraft. Stock and 3rd party.No fix from TK, other than upgrade your system.

-S

Edited by ST0RM

Folks, here is the global way to fix the issue.

Extract (if you haven't already) the SF2/V/E/I/EXP FLIGHTENGINE.INI file and look for these lines:

[backgroundSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=80000.0

NearClipDistance=3000.0

[ForegroundSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=14000.0

NearClipDistance=0.45

[insideSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=250.0

NearClipDistance=0.01

Now, in the old Gen 1 series of sims, this is what you found in the FLIGHTENGINE.INI:

[FarSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=80000.0

NearClipDistance=3000.0

[NormalSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=25000.0

NearClipDistance=249.9

[NearSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=250.0

NearClipDistance=1.2

Now, note the lines in bold and italics.

When I was first creating the T-38 and trying to use the Lexx_Luthor method of getting a cockpit in the external model, I noticed very bad building flashing when the NearClipDistance in the [NearSceneClip] section was adjusted to something really small (as well as screwing up all the other aircraft views). After TK added the OpenCockpit parameter in the COCKPIT.INI file, I noted I did not need to adjust the NearClipDistance parameter anymore to get a cockpit inside the model...the OpenCockpit parameter essentially ignores the NearClipDistance parameter.

However, note that in SF2, the NearClipParameter has been changed significantly. I think this is what is causing the 'flashing buildings'. I think the fix would be to adjust the NearClipDistance parameter in bold back to an SF1 value. Realize that for aircraft where OpenCockpit=FALSE, this could cause some parts of the aircraft external model to not be visible from the cockpit. Also, the NearClipParameter in italics may need to be adjusted as well, but I don't know the consequences of that.

FC

Thanks to all for all of the tips.

Setting the "OpenCockpit =" line in the F-4S_Cockpit.ini to FALSE seems to have worked.

Since this is the only aircraft I have had this probelm with I am satisfied with this solution. If it continues to be a problem in the future perhaps I will try the other solutions later.

Thanks to all.