EricJ

SF2 Series DACT Reports And Related A2A Discussions (Game only)

the one for the 1950s. as I have no idea how to capture screenies in those crucial moments when i'm too busy maneuvering, i had to make it into a video

basically yep using the vertical against the AI. i'm outnumbered 2:1 sometimes even more in campaign flights so i gotta exploit the energy advantage. altitude of IP is 10k ft and by the time of merge i'm at 19. i find 7k a good altitude separation for the split-S, otherwise you either run outta turning room or gets just too much smash to hit anything. this is just an average one tho. my ai teammates did exceptionally well, but my gunnery sucked, almost got shot in the face, and my missed pass at the last mig15 cost me a AI wingy.

generally speaking, i guess tis the takeaways... is that energy is very important for the sabre. in a tactical situation if you're slow the migs start piling on you like locusts. yes you can out turn this one but what about the next, it's not a phantom to burn away with the j79 and turn around lobbing sparrows. so climb climb climb at first then use the vertical, loops, high yoyos that sorta stuff and leave the throttle at max. high speed pass makes gunnery less accurate, but it's good just to do some damage or force the mig into defense shredding speed and alt. it's much safer and pays off in the long run (10min long vs 2min short lol).

once the situations gets a bit isolated tho, like 1vs1 or 2vs2, boards can be used. boards are brilliant. you can have 150kts overtake at 1nm and boards will slow you down just right at shooting range. what's more awesome about the sabre is the energy preserve in turns. when meeting a mig15 in similar energy state it can just turn with it. after 2 or 3 circles the mig will have bled dry and sabre still has some 100kts of extra smash. at first i thought it was the poor AI handling, but flying the mig myself... nope can't keep up with sabres in turns.

lastly, the weak hitting power of the 50cal is very evident. nothing to add there it is what it is.... does have a lotta ammo to be an ace maker on a good day tho

Evil Comm Building Strike

Me: F/A-18F with 3 x AIM-120D, 4 x AIM-9X, 2 x GBU-16, ATFLIR, tank, gun

Opposition: Mig-23MLD with 2 x SARH , 4 x R-60

This was on the way to a strike mission, well the Mig was right above where I needed to drop my bombs so I at first had him for an AMRAAM shot, but since my radar was zoomed at longer range it got a little confusing at first where he was, so I padlocked him, fed him a 9X, which either went stoopid or was defeated by flares and maneuver. A few seconds later I entered a knife fight with the Mig zooming across my HUD and we entered a somewhat scissors maneuver and I managed to keep him in front of me, and I got tired of playing around (more like I wanted to get it over with, there were more of his buddies on the way) and shot him with a 9X, and moved on to finish the mission.

Takeaways: Not much other than maneuvering more efficiently, and the Mig to me seemed pretty tame for once, so that was another reason I shot him down.

post-5735-0-06515800-1361050245_thumb.jpg

Me: F/A-18E Block II with 2 x AIM-9X and 8 x AIM-120C, gun

Opposition: Shenyang J-31 with 2 x Close Combat missiles, 4 x PL-12s

Started off behind him and once the J-31 saw me he tried to get into a good firing position. After that we floundered about and he eventually plowed into the ground.

Takeaways: I wanted to save the nitty gritty for this part since this is well, where it takes place. The J-31 is a maneuverable jet and in some cases it tends to turn very tight, but since it's only speculative you can let the "UFO-like" turns and roll with it, and some cases literally. But in a high-alpha jet you can easily turn into him and engage him. The only thing I noticed in my first test was that the 9X didn't track in some very easy shots, and it took an AMRAAM to drop him.

post-5735-0-04148400-1362285748_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-34358500-1362285757_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-66074400-1362285769_thumb.jpg

• Is there anybody to help me with the issue. I have downloaded some files of addons of
    MiG-29 for Strike Fighters. But I do not understand how to activate
    this aircraft in the game! Could you please explain how to activate
    the Russian fighters in this wonderful game (Strike Fighters 2). I
    have already exhausted all campaings with US aircrafts. I have seen
    through youtube that Su-25, Su-27, Su-30, Su-35 and MiG-25 are
    availand flyable for this game but I do not understand how to
    install them and activate. I have purchased all series of Strike
    Fighters 2 (Vietnam, Europe, Israel, North Atlantic, Expansions 1 & 2)
    and have updated the same up to version if July 2012 but still the
    Russian fighters are not available! Could you be so kind to explain
    how to manage with this if of course I am correct to ask you such a
    question! I see that F/A-16, F-22, Eurofighter are available as well. Please help me to manage all these fighters, gentlemen! My kindest regards,

It's been a while since i've flown The F-8C much less engage in turning and churning adrenalin driven air battle since i've been busy naval-izing my stock campaign ever since my HDD crashed. The mission was actually a CAS mission and i was hoping to post a successful ground report on the very first campaign of my pilot.

Burning sand Naval.

6X F-8C AI carrying Rocket Launchers and im carrying 2 dopey winders.

Enemy squads of Mig-19s, Mig-17Fs and Hunter F-4s with 2 aces a Maj and a Capt flying the Mig-19s

Since the rocket launcher model on the F-8C can fire only a couple of rockets i opted for the -9Bs on my sader. I intended to fly sweep for my squad as i designate targets to the AI planes. As the friendlies usually sent in to help always get their asses kicked. We reached the Killing Field and i sent my unit to work as i go after the nearest Farmer chasing my mates.

Farming was going well i already harvested a couple of them. RC gave the mission complete and i ordered my mates to resume formation so we can skadadele out of the warzone. however the soviet maj didn't like to go home without a kill so he went in pursuit of one of my mates. A call for help and i was on his case.

I tried for a head on pass but it didn't work. He turned the plane into me trying to force a left circle. I plugged on the burners and extended my dive hoping to draw him away from my fleeing squad. but he reversed turn and continued pursuit. I chased and i got him on my sight. piper on trigger hot and my first set of guns was out. select the other set and he made another turn. I tried turning with the mig thinking i have the energy advantage. but it didnt work the Farmer can turn tighter than the F-8C. i went high for a vertical but it was too late hes already on my 3-9 line We went through several maneuvers which ended up in a scissor. Soon enough i was gaining an advantage. I was ready for a kill then i saw tracers on my wind shield. The Maj is now joined by a capt and i found my self between two Soviet ace in a three way scissors.

post-71410-0-63750100-1362751196_thumb.jpg

Somehow i managed to get behind both Farmers by virtue of Flaps down and rudder. Slowing down to near stall to push the farmers ahead so i can try for shot or an escape. Suddenly a thud and a flash. I was being shot at. A third bandit was on me real close. My bird is near stall and i don't know if my plane will respond. hard rudder and stick right. the sader rolled and pulled. hoping to put enough angle and force the new enemy to overshoot. but the fighter turned inside me and set cannon rounds directly into the center of my fuselage.

Takeaways: The Farmer is really a nice fighter. turns well and two engines gave it a lot of grunt. but the F-8C can still out burn it though i don't think i'll be able to out turn the Farmer. Being able to shoot down several fighters consistently made me overconfident. I should have asked my wing men for support instead of flying solo. Hopefully the Mig-17 pilot that shot me down will be considered an ace by our next mission so i can have my revenge.

• Like 1

In such situation, it is better to disengage and run, as you can evade and accelerate fast enough. If they become a threat to any friendly, use it to your advantage as rarely they are as vulnerable.

Still, it is easier writing than doing. I, myself would have just kept playing. That´s why i rarely make it thru a campaign lol

Edited by macelena

Yeah i should have used the F-8's speed. but you know there are times you just ended up doing something dumb because it's exciting. :)

... there are times you just ended up doing something dumb because it's exciting...

That´s how i´m getting an honorific darwin award...if i don´t get a regular one in the near future

Me: F/A-18F EPE with 6 x AIM-120D, 4 x AIM-9X, gun, tank

Opposition: (a bit wrongly configured) 4 x IRIS-T, 2 x AIM-23C, gun

Well since this was just a range test and not a pure combat test the Sedjiil has a good range (I would say) 82 miles to 79 miles depending on profile. And yes I was shot down as the AIM-23C seems to be modeled on the Phoenix (just slightly, it moved possibly way too fast) but in the end, got me.

Takeaways. Like any long-ranged capable fighter, strike it first. Granted I had about a good twenty mile advantage with the D model AMRAAM, it's quite surprising how fast the Sedjiil intercepted me. Given the fact it was based off of the original its not surprising.

Me: F/A-18F Block II with 8 x AIM-120D, 2 x AIM-9X, gun

Opposition: F-14 (Iran) (a bit wrongly configured) 2 x AIM-23C, gun

Now we'll go ahead and defeat the Tomcat with some long range weapons. Unfortunately the Tomcat got off both shots before I could lock onto the jet. So instead of climbing I dove and flew above the sea, breaking the lock easily and flying until I could get my shots off. Once I did (unfortunately I fired two instead of the necessary one).

Takeaways: Using the Block II was a different experience since my EPE has a more tweaked radar system but that doesn't matter, I took it on instinct to hit the deck as it was and then was able to fire back. Of course I knew the setup so it wasn't too difficult to wait until both missiles were defeated and strike back.

post-5735-0-47097100-1363396665_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-09026200-1363396677_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-75882800-1363396685_thumb.jpg

With Spectre's release of War for Israel v 3.0, and seeing EricJ's missions against the Sedjil-armed F-14A_IR, I thought it would be interesting to check what happens when you both do, and do not outrange the Iranian F-14.

With the various missions available in WFI, you might encounter an AIM-23 packing F-14 with an F-14A or B, F-15A, C or E, F-16, F/A-18, etc. (Sedjil's service years are listed as 1987-1991), so you may or may not outrange your opponent.

First flight was in an F-14B_96. While this is outside the normal range of the Sedjil equipped F-14A, I wanted a bit of back up with the BOL chaff dispensers if need be. In the end, I didn't need them. The F-14B in 1996 was still equipped with the same jamming system as it was in 1987, the ALQ-126/B, a moderate improvement over the ALQ-100 equipped F-14A's used by Iran (and the USN until the early 1980's). It RHAW gear was the biggest push forward in terms of its overall ECM suite.

Aircraft:

F-14B: 4x AIM-54CE, 2x AIM-7P, 2x AIM-9M, gun, tanks

F-14A (IR): 2x AIM-23C, 2x AIM-7E-2, 2x Python ? - it wasn't an AIM-9P, that's for damn sure!, gun

This was an extremely short engagement. Both aircraft were using the AWG-9, and upon wheels up, I initiated jamming. Seeing the F14 symbol on the ALR-67 already, I pointed my nose in that general direction and spotted the opposing F-14 about 110NM away. Designating a Phoenix and firing at Rmax (99.4NM), I re-selected the F-14 to ensure I could send a second if need be. At 83.3NM away, the Iranian bird exploded, flying in a straight line while deploying chaff. The -54CE was not fooled. In this case, the fact that I outranged my opponent made it an easy kill.

img02915_zpscedcf9dd.jpg

img02918_zps7aa63004.jpg

img02920_zpsc9021730.jpg

Fight 2 was with an F-14A (82), one more apt to actually encounter the Sedjil.

Loadout:

F-14A_82: 4x AIM-54C, 2x AIM-7M, 2x AIM-9M, gun, tanks

F-14A_IR: 2x AIM-23C, 4x AIM-7E-2, 2x AIM-9P, gun

This fight was nearly identical to the last. from spot, to lock, to fire, I never had to worry about the opposing F-14 getting a shot off. I think I fired a mile shorter, and he blew up a mile closer - negligible difference.

img02921_zps0ebf4d89.jpg

img02924_zpse04c5122.jpg

img02927_zpsa18b297b.jpg

Aircraft:

F-15C_79: 4x AIM-7M, 4x AIM-9M, gun, tanks

F-14A_IR: 2x AIM-23C, 4x AIM-7E-2, 2x AIM-9P, gun

Now, here is where it gets tougher. Taking up an F-15C_79, I no longer had the ability to sit back and shoot from beyond my enemy's range. What the F-15C does have is a superior ECM system, but the question became would it be enough to get me in range of my own missiles before he could shoot? Upon take off, at wheels up, the Iranian F-14 was pinging me and I got RHAW warnings. ECM on and climb to altitude. I wanted to see if I could survive high up, rather than use the old "terrain mask" trick, since WFI features (at times) heavy SAM cover, and flying low could put me into the heart of the SAM envelope. At 25K feet, I'm able to lock the F-14 up at very long range, somewhere around 100NM, but I have about 62NM to go before I can shoot at my target! At 75NM distance, the AWG-9 burns through and I immediately have an AIM-23 headed my way. I punch off the tanks and begin to try to fly perpendicular to the launch direction, but fail to break lock. Start pumping chaff. The missile does not take the chaff in spite of the huge quantity I'm punching off and the Eagle is obliterated.

img02933_zps0a17681b.jpg

img02935_zpsa573e3c4.jpg

img02936_zpsee6d2de4.jpg

img02937_zpse1e79fa1.jpg

Okay...take 2!

Same loadouts as before, but this time, I decide to use terrain masking. Both times a missile is fired, I terrain mask and they go stupid. What happens now is that I have range advantage, since I know he's got AIM-7E-2's with an Rmax of about 12NM to my AIM-7M's 38NM. I also know, however, that I will end up close to his envelope with all the time it takes my own AIM-7's to reach their target, so I plan to be able to break, and then close for winder's or GUNS if necessary! At 38NM, I fire two AIM-7's (first came off stupid), and fire a third just in case at about 33NM. The first does the work.

img02939_zpsec9e564f.jpg

img02943_zps252f2ada.jpg

img02946_zps1008ddbb.jpg

Finally, the F/A-18C. In this case I only did one engagement. It started similarly to the F-15, but with the shorter radar range of the -18, I didn't have nearly as good SA, only seeing the F-14 on the RHAW gear. Climbed to altitude, jammer on, first Sedjil is headed my way at some distance, but I can't tell how far. If I had to estimate, it was probably similar distance to the F-15, maybe a bit closer due to the smaller size of the F/A-18. Regardless, I put myself abeam, which again doesn't break lock, and then start dropping chaff. This does work, and the AIM-23C looses lock. From my pull/turn cycles, I've ended up at about 7k feet, which means that when the F-14 fires its second AIM-23C, I decide not to tempt fate, and swoop down behind some raised terrain, breaking the AWG-9's lock (it may be powerful, but it can't see through rock!) This puts me in the same place as the F-15: he no longer outranges me, but unlike the F-15, I've got to find him now. For whatever reason, though I know his general direction, I don't see him on radar at 80NM scan. Switch to 40 and start sweeping, finding him at about 25NM - damn, that guy closed! Lock, fire two AIM-7 at 23NM, and yet again, the first hits when he's still just outside his own firing envelope.

img02949_zpsf0eefa68.jpg

img02950_zps2cf29538.jpg

img02952_zps54a4c3ff.jpg

Takeaways:

When you outrange someone, it isn't much of a fight (first two were over in about a minute twenty from wheels up, based on the debrief). What you're relying on is your weapon's ability to dismiss chaff, and burn through the opponent's ECM, or conversely, your ability to beam or fool the incoming weapon. When firing AIM-54's or AIM-120D's, a Sedjil-equipped Iranian F-14 doesn't stand a chance. Its ECM is too weak to fend off your radar (remember, both the F-14A/B and F-15C began tracking more than 100NM away), it has no means by which to respond before it is shot down, at least if you are jamming (I have to assume EricJ wasn't when he got hit, because the AWG-9 didn't make it through the F-15's ECM until 75NM, and the Super Bug's has to be much improved). Also, until 1991, AMRAAM was not available, meaning that fire and forget capability was not available to many Western fighters (nor Eastern with equivalent armaments), so even if you do get in range to employ your AIM-7 compliment, you're facing off against a faster-moving missile fired by your opponent, which may reach you before your own Sparrow knocks the Iranian F-14 out of the sky.

Recommendations? Stay low to force a break-lock when he fires, or be better at beaming your opponents than I am! Once you've defeated his long range option, he's stuck with Vietnam-era "short" medium range missiles and rear-aspect Sidewinders. You should have him easy!

And to answer your question, no I wasn't. Matter of fact I haven't tried it with ECM...

Me: F/A-18F Block II EPE with 4 x AIM-9X, 6 x AIM-120D, tank, gun

Opposition: F-14A with 2 x AIM-23Cs, 4 x Sparrow, gun, tanks

And no I didn't think of an ECM run through with a more advanced ALQ-214 I was able to jam the Tomcat all the way through. I remember a test long ago where burn through for the Tomcat (I want to say D or A model, or maybe B) but anyway, since locking up the Tomcat and launching at 112NM I kept the jammer on and waited... until the Tomcat was 46 miles ahead of me (straight closure). I didn't jink or alter my path keeping heading towards the Tomcat, expecting a burn through but none came and I splashed the Tomcat.

Takeaways: Not much other than now I have to figure out burn-through distances for the ALQ-214 versus the AWG-9 now, but overall it seems I have the advantage with a later model jammer. Of course tweaking the radar to exploit the range advantage of the D model AMRAAM is needed for the other aircraft with the APG-79 radar (Block II and Growler).

post-5735-0-87535400-1363475077_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-16992200-1363475096_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-63716100-1363475115_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-62614400-1363475124_thumb.jpg

Edited by EricJ

I'll write this as a general note:

F-14A AWG-9 will burn through ALQ-214 roughly 54 miles in a head on closure engagement. Unfortunately the radar will not allow you to fire the D model AMRAAM until you're about ~56, 57 miles. So pilots are warned to begin defensive maneuvers until target is brought down.

Edited by EricJ

Caesar,

nice to see that my F-15C gets some workout there :skull:

Heres somehting I just got to think about, the AI only DetectSystem radar related RadarSearchTime=1.0

1.0 seconds is the Default value for most modern 3rd party aircraft while the stock TW value is usually 2.0 for early F-4's , 1.0

in F-4E

Now the Q is what does this number mean...

Is the the time the AI needs to scan the whole radar search volume as defined in the DetectSystem ?

To stay with the F-4E example, that w ould mean a 120° side scan and 120° vertical scan ( total )

Very fast for a 1 or 2 bar limited scan ...pure magic

The idea is to have some more realistic AI scan time while keeping in mind the game limits of a very basic scan limiter.

So if you break the lock with chaff or beaming, you normally make some move to get out of the limited scan volume so that the

opponent cant immediately relock you.

with a 2-bar or 4-bar 60° scan, the radar operator would have to move his scan elevation quite a bit vertically especially if he

doesnt know if the target went up or down.

A 120° scan with 4 bars in a 80's onwards fighter takes ~7 seconds , using the F-15 APG-63 for an example.

If the pilot is using the 60° 4-bar scan after loosing lock, its half that time for one full scan .. ~3.5 seconds

Now he has to look for the evasive target up and down .. that costs time to scan ... maybe around 10.5 to 14 or more seconds for

3-4 full scans. Probably even longer.

Increasing the RadarSearchTIme value maybe gives the player a better change to prevent a superfast relock by AI and enables him

to dive anway or get high and fast for an early shot ...

Well thats all not tested yet and data a bit incomplete .. but something to think about I'd say :ninja:

~

Me: F/A-18F EPE with "conformal fuel tanks", 6 x AIM-120D, 4 x AIM-9M

Opposition: Shenyang J-31 with some missiles (didn't remember offhand) and Seaqeh with two AIM-9J or Bs, tank and gun

Instead of breaking it down I decided to try out the bird if fitted (though none were not, fuel was adjusted to mimic if they were there). Both were maneuverable and even the Shenyang's UFO like flying behavior didn't prevent it from being shot down as it was about to crash into a hillside. The Seaqeh was a PITA but other than anemic 9Ms that went stoopid (except the third) I was able to down both jets.

Takeaways. Flying with the extra fuel hampers the superior handling capabilities slightly of the EPE Super to a degree, to the point I was feeling like I was flying a Tomcat, which given past history, doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. I can't honestly say I like it but seeing as how the Navy may go this direction (and should with the engines at least!) it was worth a run through to see how it would perform.

F-14B Tomcat vs. J-10A

Loadouts-

F-14B: 4x AIM-9M, gun, 75% fuel, no tanks, clean pancake

J-10A: 23mm GSh-23, 100% fuel, no tank

Because the J-10A doesn't have its missiles for some reason, I flew the DACT three times. What I found seems to reflect what open-source documents say about the J-10A - it has better instantaneous turn than the F-16, but not as good sustained turn rates. Knowing this, I knew I would have better chances of survival, or indeed killing the J-10 if I could force him into a drawn-out turning fight. What I didn't realize was exactly how much of a flying speedbreak the J-10 could be. Two of three engagements ended up with missile kills on the J-10, the third with a gun kill, and the third engagement was the shortest "true" engagement, lasting 1 minute, 49 seconds (second was solved with a quick heater to the face). The first engagement was the longest, by far, and ended up with the J-10 in my 5 to 7-o'clock quadrant three times, never long enough to have been able to take a missile shot (if he had missiles).

During the first and second engagements, I went against my gut and decided to do a hard two-circle, the first time having what would have been potentially detrimental effects to my fine Grumman war machine. Because I plugged in the burner, I wasn't turning as fast as he was, and he pulled inside my circle. The energy I saved was burned pulling quickly into the vertical to try to reverse. It worked, though he probably could have called a snap shot on me. We continued through both vertical and horizontal planes, but I kept my energy up enough (>310kts) so that he couldn't ever directly threaten more than a second or two. After about the third time he got nose-on, he took a snap shot, which I performed a high g barrel roll to evade, followed by an inverted pitch-moment-coupling maneuver that was actually unintentonal, but left me inverted at the end and caused him to overshoot. Time to extend! I brought the Tomcat into a descending loop to gain energy and get some distance. The J-10 performed a moderate nose-low spiral to come down to my altitude, only to have my Turkey rocket past him into the vertical. I continued the high loop, as the J-10 brought his turn to an ascending turn; I cut throttles towards the top of the loop trading airspeed for g until I was close to the bottom, plugged burner in to sustain g and was now level with the J-10 on my nose at the bottom of the loop. Set up the heater, FOX 2 and BOOM! Sheared off his vert stab.

img00167.jpg

img00168.jpg

DACT #2 started similarly, only this time, instead of plugging in the burners, I decided to cut throttles, yank the Tomcat into an absolute max g turn, got my turn inside of the J-10's, then unloaded a bit (his nose still wasn't threatening at this point) and shot him. Kill #2.

img00172.jpg

img00173.jpg

DACT #3 was the first one that I did where I actually followed my gut instinct and went into a one-circle, sustained turn fight. Just like the Fulcrum, and as predicted by the open-source docs, the J-10 wasn't just yanking on his stick like in the first two engagements, but was instead trying to pull more "g" than me, and he didn't sustain his turn as well as the F-16. This higher g burnt his energy, and I performed a calculated 8.5-9g turn after my sustained 6.5g circle that had gotten me aft of his wing line. This put my nose right on the J-10. Unlike my blunder against the F-16, I went to match speed with the J-10 and brought the throttles to below military power. The J-10 initially tried to break left, but I followed him without problem. He leveled. 20mm, 6000 rounds/min SELECTED! GUNS! ZZip! Off goes his right wing! The pilot literally rode the aircraft into the ground as it spiraled in a tight corkscrew to the desert floor.

img00176.jpg

img00177.jpg

img00178.jpg

img00179.jpg

So, what can I take away from the J-10 fight? Don't do a two-circle, especially if he has heaters! The second DACT turned out in my favor because I decided to burn my airspeed very quickly to get inside him, but probably wouldn't have worked as well in a 2v2, or if I were carrying other stores. Looping vertically seemed to work well, as did a sustained one-circle turn fight. Also, the J-10 required a lot better energy management, since if I had too much, the Turkey wouldn't make the corner. If I had too little, I'd leave myself exposed. I made sure to unload a bit in the first fight, costing angles, but in the end probably keeping myself alive. Unlike the MiG-21 or MiG-17, the J-10 doesn't like to get into a scissors, so trying to beat down his energy to a point where I had the advantage was out of the question - it'd have left me as a wide open target. This engagement was far more satisfying than the Viper was, going off and killing himself. J-10? Anytime, Baby!

That's awesome ! But I wonder if this can be done on the TW's F-14A ...

CNAF,

It can and has been done, but it's a royal pain in the ass! A lot easier if you've got heaters, but it otherwise stalemates quick unless you've got a few tricks up your sleeve (low altitude helps, 'cause you can use terrain as a weapon!). The TW F-14 is a lot more sluggish and doesn't accelerate as well as the TMF F-14A, though it too is underpowered as it should be; I like to think of the TW one as a "pre-Block 90" Tomcat. If you get slow, get him in your gunsight in a turn and he reverses, good luck following him (roll rate is glacial); you're looking at another circle unless you anticipate where he's going, or do a decent snap-roll. Also, catching him is next to impossible unless you've already got some speed on. After implementing the new F-14B flight model, I did fly this mission again and it's kind of the same as the one from a year ago, a bit worse on the energy at high speeds, a bit better sustaining the turn at lower ones. I think it took me a bit longer, but I also haven't been playing as much so I'm sure I'm a bit rusty.

Crusader,

I'll have to check out those numbers and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

Week 1 of flying stock SF2 planes.

Me: F-14A with gun.
Opposition: F-16A with gun.

Started out at 15,000ft with a wide merge to prevent getting gunned and went into an energy sapping 5g left turn. I kept full military power and knew I couldn't hold him so I pulled up into an Immelman, caught a glimpse of him low 7 o'clock and then split-s'd back down. He musn't have been expecting this and I got a snap shot off; but missed. We pushed back into another left turn and he straight away began to gain an advantage, even though I initially had more energy. I knew I was in deep poo and ignoring the rule "energy is king", I reversed and tried a diving scissors, as I used a combination of speed brakes and flaps in an attempt to force him to overshoot. With his superior turn radius the F-16 did manage to make a gun pass and while he tried to get in a kill slot he mainly just tried to outurn me and run down my energy. As you'll see in the first screenshot we were both at around 3,900ft and less than 190 knots after the third reversal; however my gamble had worked and he had to dive to regain some speed. I pulled the nose of the Tomcat over and headed down after him.

img00132

I pushed to full AB and once I felt I had a shot I took it, raking him. I pulled up and left to give myself an altitude advantage if I needed a follow up; but my shell strikes from nose to right wingtip must have killed the pilot, because the plane kept flying with no smoke or flames, until it crashed on the desert floor a few miles away.

img00133

This fight taught me a lot about how energy bleeds from the 'A' model cat and I learned a good lesson about taking on more nimble fighters. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a later model to compare thrust/weight ratios.

edit: How do you guys get your images so big?

Edited by treads

I upload directly to the site while even then the forum software reduces the size (to a degree based on resolution) to a viewable size.

It's been a while, so I figured I'd do 3 fights, one to get back in the saddle (F-14A vs. F-16C_B30), and two others in airframes I don't normally take up.  One of the things I've been doing is adding in lines to the specific aircraft's data.ini to increase the likelihood of "chance continue" or "chance use vertical" - this was discussed in another topic, and while I'm not 100% certain it works, I will say that the F-16, Hunter and Fulcrum never did the "I give up" jink, straight, jink, straight thing some AI aircraft are prone to do when you're on their tail. To get back into the fight, I decide to go up against one of my more difficult adversaries, the F-16C, in one of my most familiar aircraft, the F-14A.  It is a fight that allows the F-14A only a very small advantage at extreme slow speeds. I've got lower sustained turning, similar instantaneous turning out to 325 knots (if I follow the g-limit - egh, call it 380!  I've always liked Grumman's 1973 numbers better...), and worse thrust to weight which makes vertical presses difficult.  The wing-length flaps and slats help in the slow fight, and I've flown most in the Tomcat - familiarity with the virtual airframe helps a lot!  If I'm in a fix, I have a few things I know I can do to get out.

Loadouts -

F-14A_74: gun, 75% fuel

F-16C_B30: gun, 100% fuel

The biggest thing I know I need to do is get above the F-16.  If I can do that, the TF-30's piss-poor thrust won't matter as much, since I'll be able to have gravity aid me.  Light the cans of the Ronco engines (set it and forget it!) and I pull into the F-16.  The F-16 doesn't notice me initially, so I'm able to get nose on, but know that by the time I get close to him, he'll have his nose on me, too.  Lo and behold, that's what happens.  I've got 1.08M on the F-14 when we pass at the merge, and the F-16 dives on me as I continue my turn initially to prevent him from getting a head-on firing solution.  (Recall: F-14 = BIG, F-16 = small(er) - Tomcat disadvantage in a head-on gun pass).

img03197_zps5d6284cb.jpg

Right after passing, the Falcon must have had a LOT of smack on, since he's pulling for all he's worth to get back around.  Instead of pulling vertical, I continue my turn at about 7g, deliberately trying to get a bit slower so I don't wind up turning too wide ending with the Viper on my tails.  The F-16 continues to pull into me, nose low, until he's pointing at my tails, then starts to reverse his turn, and I take this opportunity to dive.  My plan is to dive towards the Viper's tail, knowing he's fighting gravity, and I've got gravity working for me.  Very high g pull on the F-14 maxing out at around 9.5.

img03199_zps8fc256d8.jpg

We pass, and he continues his left turn.  Because I haven't burned nearly as much energy as I would have, I've got enough to come back up and onto the F-16's tail, slightly high and to his 7 o'clock, nose on with lead.  That said, my energy state still isn't as good as his, and I've got my flaps down now.  Lucky for me, he took an ascending turn ('til I got back there), so his also isn't as good as it could be and he's not achieving a sufficient turn rate to get away.

img03203_zps026fa23a.jpg

It's been a bit and I'm rusty with the gun.  I fire three snap shots at high angle-off and miss each time.  The Viper still can't gain energy in the turn, so we're doing this oblong turn where I get a chance to shoot about every five seconds due to the pitch of my nose, until the Viper actually starts regaining a bit of speed.  The problem for him is that to do so, he levels out, I retract flaps from landing to take-off to try to accelerate (with TF-30's...). The Viper starts getting a bit of distance, but he's also allowing my own jet to speed up, and he still hasn't gotten me off his tail.

img03205_zps02fcd504.jpg

The next error he makes is that he initially starts a turn into his original direction, which I begin to follow, but after only a few degrees, he rolls into the opposite direction and begins pulling more definitively.  The issue for him, here, is that he had started to get away, and if he had waited, at least could have had the option of starting a scissors.  Then for seemingly no reason, he changes direction allowing me to unload, and putting himself precariously in front of my gun. I've got enough speed on the jet that roll rate isn't an issue and follow him with relative ease.  OK, Caesar, don't dick this one up.  Get a nice lead and open up with the Vulcan.  Hits to the fuselage, starboard wing, and apparently engine.  Knock it off.  Total fight time: 2mins 25 seconds.  This is a massive improvement to my earlier fights against the F-16, which could cap out at 8-10 minutes in the F-14A.

img03207_zpsa00141fa.jpg

img03210_zps48f4e644.jpg

So now I've got some time back in the saddle.  Rather than bore everyone who would read this with more F-14 engagements, it's time to take out some of the other fantastic aircraft brought to us by this community and TK.

First follow-up fight is in the Mirage IIICJ Shahak (71).  It was fought against a Hunter F.6. The thing I know about the Hunter is that I shouldn't try to turn with him.  That huge wing and low loading means the aircraft can handle itself very well in a tight turning engagement.  Instead, I need to use the vertical to my advantage.

Loadouts:

Mirage: gun, 100% fuel

Hunter: gun, 100% fuel

One of the things the first fight exposes is that the Hunter has no radar or RWR, so he has to see me visually to engage.  I push to his 6o'clock but a bit too late, and he pulls into me.  The first thing I start is a series of loops to try to use my better thrust to weight ratio to my advantage.  After the first loop, I'm able to get lead on the Hunter and shoot, but no shots connect.  Back up for the second one, but while my T:W is better than his, it ain't super, and I begin to run low on energy at the top.  The Hunter is able to amble up to my altitude through a series of climbing turns, so I separate.

img03219_zps1de57ed1.jpg

img03228_zps35eb932c.jpg

As the Hunter gives chase, I pull back into the vertical, and set up a second time with a similar result, but again, I don't have a good gun solution and can't knock him out of the sky.  As I come up, the Hunter has made a set of turns that put him on my tail.  I don't have energy to climb, but with vigorous rudder work, as the Hunter tries to chase me, none of his shots hit.  I actually get slow enough that he overshoots, but I'm so low on speed, there isn't much I can do.  I go for the rudder again, but it isn't enough for a shot.

img03231_zpsf3268b70.jpg

Since about the best I can achieve is a rudder-based guns-D, while the Hunter can actually turn, I figure I'm running out of options.  His two turns quickly put him on my six again, and I'm ruddering into a Split-S.  He's gaining speed, too, and in a last ditch effort, I try to get him to overshoot as I come up, then cut the engine as my nose is at about 70 degrees to vertical.  The Hunter doesn't run out of smack as fast as I'd hoped, and gets a shot, taking out the left wing and tail.  Punch out.  Time for round two!  Total fight time: 7 minutes

img03232_zps63d320e9.jpg

OK, so, more energy, more altitude!  I already knew I couldn't take the Hunter in a turning or slow speed fight, I had just hoped my better T:W would save me towards the end, and it did not under the circumstances.

The second fight started with me trying for an easy kill - without RWR equipment, like I knew from the first fight, I can get myself into his direct 6o'clock low and take him out.  The problem is that the AI can see through itself, so even though I end up with about 1.22M on the aircraft with a straight on shot, the Hunter immediately begins turning as I get close to gun range.  Indeed, he is turning so fast that by the time I reach him, he's already almost got his nose around at me!  No chance there, so I push vertical again.

Just like the first fight, the first loop results in an advantageous high position, but the gun shot isn't easy.  I get some lead and fire, but none of the shots connect.  Looks like I'm coming back up and around.  But, I don't have enough energy again, and as I start my second loop, I continue only because I know if I do anything else (turn, Split-S) the Hunter will have me.

As I get to the top, like last time, the Hunter can't reach me adequately unless I screw something up.  At the top of the second loop, I can see I'm going to end up right back in the same place, the Hunter is getting close, and I'm running out of juice.  I unload, inverted, and begin to run.  Because the Hunter was trying to get to my altitude, he's nose up and in the 200's of knots.  I quickly accelerate through 300, and keep running.  In a short time I'm at .91M and in a minor ascent.  Once I break Mach 1, I begin climbing more steeply again.

This time, I get the bird up to 40,000 feet, with enough smack to get the nose facing the right direction.  The Hunter simply can't climb that high at the speeds it can achieve and has to begin stall recovery in the 30's.  I wrench on the Mirage for all it's worth  and manage to get the nose back low and pointing at the Hunter, roll level, and now I'm at an advantage, chasing him down.  The thin air makes his turns very shallow, and while he is in a minor right hand turn, I line him up and get good contact from the 30mm.  Total fight time: 5 minutes

img03234_zpsa89e9028.jpg

img03235_zps8a2779f5.jpg

Takeaways: Well, the same stuff I knew.  Don't try to turn with a Hunter in most jets, keep energy up (which I did not do well) and keep the fight vertical.  I think the biggest takeaway was just how fast the Hunter could turn!  Even with over 1.2M on the aircraft, at under 5mi, the Hunter was able to nearly get his nose on me.

Last fight - F/A-18C vs. MiG-29A.  I chose to do this fight because the two aircraft are more closely matched.  The new Bug pack F/A-18's do have some limiters on them, both mirroring RL and for good reason in-game (remember how the old ones could load 24g and tear off their wings at the merge?)

Loadouts:

F/A-18C: gun, 100% fuel

MiG-29A: gun, 100% fuel

This fight started out with both aircraft quickly turning into each other, but as I approached, I did so climbing to gain an initial altitude advantage.  I pulled low into the Fulcrum, the Fulcrum pulled up into me, and we shot past each other at a very high closure rate.  I held the pull, coming back up to chase the Fulcrum and it was a repeat.  Well, this is going nowhere.  After another loop, I decide to only pull a half-loop, and add a turn and some rudder to try to get my nose down onto the Fulcrum more quickly.  It doesn't go as expected, but the Fulcrum certainly wasn't gaining any ground on ME either.

img03249_zps17d66fdc.jpg

img03241_zps1fadbb56.jpg

What happened next was an energy circle.  One of the things I forgot is that the AI will gladly push the Fulcrum into a 7-12g oscilating turn that doesn't actually burn energy, or at least not much energy, so while I am sustaining between 5.5 and 6.5g, the Fulcrum is doing a lot better.  The problem is he's a lot faster, so his radius is wider, and he isn't going to be able to capitalize any time soon.

img03246_zps76f77cd4.jpg

Initially I go for a vertical press to break the circle after two completions of 360 degrees.  The Fulcrum pulls much harder, and I can see he's probably going to go for a snap shot with his guns.  I rotate the Hornet, put the stick in my lap and he goes by without getting a shot. OK, high didn't work, how about low?  Push towards the ground and gain smack.  I've got about an 8.5g turn available with the limiters, and the Fulcrum comes screaming down to my altitude.  He's going way too fast, overshoots and has to try to miss the ground.  I keep on my turn, the Fulcrum does one of it's patented AI 12g pulls to get his nose around in a few seconds, but does so after my nose is already pointed at him.

img03250_zps30d5c839.jpg

I can see he's going to try for the head-on gun kill, but I've got positional advantage, maybe 3-4 seconds before he shoots.  Boresight him, put the center of the pipper right on his nose and fire two bursts just before he gets nose-on.  The first burst tears the Fulcrum apart and it lights up in my windscreen.  Total fight time 4 minutes 23 seconds.

img03251_zps0d3c35cb.jpg

Takeaways: The Hornet and Fulcrum are indeed well matched.  Under certain circumstances, the limiters can stop you from doing what you want, but the -18 is maneuverable enough that plenty of options should always be open.  Even running into them, I didn't feel particularly threatened at any point, and the aircraft was responsive across the envelope.

Edited by Caesar

KAW campaign CAP mission directly over Kimpo with an 8 ship. Fair weather without overcast, noon time, perfect setup for a hunt.

Kimpo is too close to the front. Rolling takeoffs have produced many tragedies in the past and we reverted to mass launch.

sister Sabre squadron on patrol as well

8 Yaks inbound overhead! We stay low and fast after airborne from becoming sitting ducks

the Yaks give chase. I plan to accelerate until with a significant speed advantage and separation, then turn back and engage. Luckily, their chase was cut short by 2 F82 twin mustangs and it quickly developed into a furball. We immediately reverse to help.

I quickly dispatched 2 Yaks when 2 Mig-15s jumped us from up high. Mig lead dived low, bled off and lost his left wing to the 50cals. Mig 2 got on my six pretty good, but after a few circles he slowed down to low 100s and began to stall. With a turning climb I became offensive and scored the 4th kill.

Meanwhile AI wingies dealt with the Yaks surprisingly well this time. They got all the remaining 6 yaks with no.4 bagging the last one. Kudos to the 2 mustangs who survived as well!

Was a fun ride all in all which haven't happened for quite some time!

No pictures but I surprised myself by splashing a MiG while flyng an F-105D, clean config after bombing mission. I had the height advantage, came down in a dive from about 10,000 feet at near 90 degrees and a left hand bank, speed between 600 and 580 knots. The MiG 17 was low and in a climb left hand climb trying to break into my flight path. I looked through the pipper and I know I lead him too much and I basically did a "pray and squeeze" putting in a 3 to 5 second burst of 20 mike mike which he miraculously flew right into. Tore his left wing off. I leveled out about 1,500 feet AGL and high tailed it out of there. Still surprised that I bagged a MiG-17 in a dive in a 105!

Got me wondering in real life, would that even be possible?

Edited by future_tuskegee_airman