Sign in to follow this  
tone12

saitek rudder pedals question

hi,

ive just received my rudder pedals and am eager to try them out with OFF. i went to the saitek website to see what software i needed and found 2 downloads. one was the latest drivers but there was another quite sizeable software download (224mb) as well.

i installed the drivers and the rudder pedals seem to work well enough so im just wonderin what the software is for, does anyone else have it installed?

I don't know about pedals, but for my X-45 HOTAS, there was 2 mb download of the drivers and a 19 mb download of the programming software. It allows me to program all the buttons, knobs, and wheels on the throttle and stick.

I too just received my rudder pedals and tried them out today. I didn't download anything, just hooked them up and they worked fine. I might need a little "tweaking". But I found this post (not sure who did it) some weeks ago when i knew i was getting the pedals and saved it. It might help. It said:

I use Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals with a Saitek X52 flight controller, and the only "modification" I had to perform was to remove the "toe brake" function. I can perform flat yaw turns. If you DID just add them by plugging them in, perhaps you do need to install the software. Perhaps it is the joystick...

Did you remove the "toe brake" function of the rudder pedals? They do have an aileron "connection" and need to be disabled. Start in Quick Combat with a rear view of your aircraft and without starting your engine, operate your rudders and APPLY YOUR TOE BRAKES. Observe movement of your rudder, elevators and ailerons. Does operating your toe brake cause ailerons and elevator to operate? I think that might be your problem.

Pause > drop down menu > Controls > then select the drop down menu under Saitek x-52 FCS joystick. That gives you the Saitek rudder pedals control system.

Then, to make it easier, select the "control surfaces" drop down menu...that limits the number of choices available. You'll see there's a choice "x axis", a "y axis", and (I think) "rudder axis". You delete the x axis and the y axis and then save that profile as "Mine" and voila! No toe brake function. (BTW you don't need toe brakes in this sim. There are no brakes on WW1 aircraft. You have to cut your engine off).

thanks for the tip bout the rudder brakes, ive now done that. bout the software, so you reckon the 200 odd mb download is for a saitek joystick? if it is then the website is screwed cos it lists both download under rudder pedals.

think il give it a miss though, the rudder pedals seem to be workin fine so im happy enough.

Good Morning Tone12. IIRC, the other download is for the Saitek Profiler, (as noted by Jarhead), and while you don't need that, it is a nice little utility. I have run my pedals with and without it and they work just fine either way. Ras has pointed you towards the primary change you need to make for the WWI kites so you should be good to go. That link posted by Stickshaker looks useful as well. Of course, if you have them running the way you like, you could just leave well enough alone and go fly. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

I too just received my rudder pedals and tried them out today. I didn't download anything, just hooked them up and they worked fine. I might need a little "tweaking". But I found this post (not sure who did it) some weeks ago when i knew i was getting the pedals and saved it. It might help. It said:

I use Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals with a Saitek X52 flight controller, and the only "modification" I had to perform was to remove the "toe brake" function. I can perform flat yaw turns. If you DID just add them by plugging them in, perhaps you do need to install the software. Perhaps it is the joystick...

Did you remove the "toe brake" function of the rudder pedals? They do have an aileron "connection" and need to be disabled. Start in Quick Combat with a rear view of your aircraft and without starting your engine, operate your rudders and APPLY YOUR TOE BRAKES. Observe movement of your rudder, elevators and ailerons. Does operating your toe brake cause ailerons and elevator to operate? I think that might be your problem.

Pause > drop down menu > Controls > then select the drop down menu under Saitek x-52 FCS joystick. That gives you the Saitek rudder pedals control system.

Then, to make it easier, select the "control surfaces" drop down menu...that limits the number of choices available. You'll see there's a choice "x axis", a "y axis", and (I think) "rudder axis". You delete the x axis and the y axis and then save that profile as "Mine" and voila! No toe brake function. (BTW you don't need toe brakes in this sim. There are no brakes on WW1 aircraft. You have to cut your engine off).

Credit to uncleal for that one, IIRC.

I have those rudder pedals and the only problem I encountered was with the toe brakes. Just disable them and you will be fine. You don't need that profiling software at all, you can usually set functions you need in any newer game....

Beard