Sign in to follow this  
Dej

Fateful Morn

As part of another project I have underway (I've too many of these things!) I've had to get back into 3D modelling. I was experimenting with effects today and initially knocked up the attached from stuff I had around just for playing with when I realised it had promise as a piece in its own right... with a bit of work.

I'm calling it 'Fateful Morn'. It depicts Lanoe Hawker's DH2 in the early morning of 23rd November 1916 at Bertangles. Hawker's crew just have wheeled the machine out in front of the hangers in anticipation of a busy day ahead. Hawker won't fly until the afternoon, when No. 24 Squadron is a man short, but his crew don't know this, nor do they know that this is the last day they'll see the machine... or Hawker.

There's a touch of ground frost lingering... it's early yet, and inside the hanger, Andrew's machine is still being worked on.

It's a work in progress, I'm no Mark Miller and I'm not happy with the hanger textures yet and there are mesh errors on the DH2's nose, but I'm still rather pleased with it for a afternoon's work, so I thought I'd share it.

3D rendering in Cinema 4D, post processing in Paint Shop Pro Photo X2.

Fateful Morn.jpg

Looks good to me so far Dej. I've always felt an affinity for Hawker and your picture captures the emotions I feel when I read about the man and what ultimately happened to him.

Wonderful work so far Dej, very "moody". I look forward to the finished scene and would gladly use it as a screensaver on my flying computer. My one suggestion might be to downsize the door rails and roof edges on the hangers. What you currently have looks a bit too heavy in construction. But honestly, that is only my opinion Sir.

The lighting you created gives the picture a dark romantic and almost ghostly atmosphere.

Very artful, I find, and even with more feeling than Miller's pictures (which I do like because

of their detail, but which also appear somewhat neat and stiff).

Great job - I wonder what you will improve on it?

Love that Bus....not to keen flying it but I love the look...

Looking superb mate.

Looks like a rickety crate to me Dej. And that's a good thing. One for the screensaver for sure.

Hey, you guys! Grow up and try that AIRCO DH-2! She is a nice Lady to be with, until the Albatros arrives.

Once you found out the tricks to fly her, you will have fun with her.

Olham's right she really is a sweet bird. We flew it as a squadron in one of the OFF online wars.

That is really good work Dej, the only thing I see missing is the little stuff that should be littering the area around and in the hangers. Carts, barrels, plane parts, rags, etc. But, the overall mood of the work itself is quite compelling.

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

Hello,

A very nice start. A constructive criticism is that the hangars do not look like those used by No.24 Squadron at Bertangles. Here are some shots of No.24 Squadron DH2s with their hangars in the background:

dh2002.jpg

dh2001.jpg

dh2011.jpg

Also, the weather charts, reports and forecasts I have for 23 November 1916 show the area was dominated by high pressure with clear skies in the morning. Clouds moved in later in the afternoon but in the morning they were confined to the channel coast.

If interested, PM me an email addy and I'll send you larger hangar photos.

Hello,

A very nice start. A constructive criticism is that the hangars do not look like those used by No.24 Squadron at Bertangles. Here are some shots of No.24 Squadron DH2s with their hangars in the background:

Also, the weather charts, reports and forecasts I have for 23 November 1916 show the area was dominated by high pressure with clear skies in the morning. Clouds moved in later in the afternoon but in the morning they were confined to the channel coast.

Drat! I was hoping no one would point that out! Thanks Jim. :grin:

I'll have to cite artistic licence on the weather for the atmosphere it lends. I guess I'll have to change the hangers though. Thanks to all for the comments.

Hello,

dh2002.jpg

dh2001.jpg

dh2011.jpg

Wow... I think these are the first photos I've ever seen of No. 24 RFC with their DH'2s. I'm so glad you posted this, JFM... this put chills down my spine. Wow.

Same for me - I never saw the upper two pics before.

I like to fly No. 24 Squadron RFC, and these pics give me a closer touch - thank you, JFM!

Dej...you never fail to amaze me with your talents m8...and you asked ME to do you a skin?..are you kidding me???

I look at that picture, and wonder just how drunk I would need to be, to get in and fly that in combat for real!...answer...dead drunk!

Guest British_eh

Very nice there Dej,

so, would you be interested in lending your immense talent to aircraft modeling for OFF? :)

Cheers,

British_eh