Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

When it Rains Old WWI Books, it Pours

Good Morning All,

Yes, another old volume has found it's way to my bookshelf. It is "An Airman's Outings", a first edition published in 1917, and written by Alan ‘Contact’ Bott who was assigned as an observer with 70 Squadron RFC from June through December of 1916, flying Sopwith Strutters, (in fact 70 Squadron was the first to be outfitted with these, at the time, new planes). The author took the pen name 'Contact' owning to the fact that the War was still going when he wrote this book and the censors were busy making sure no vital information was given away in such writings. This is also why he refers to his unit as 'Umpty Squadron'. All-in-all a very good firsthand account of life in a two-seater squadron written in the day, and a nice clean, sound book for the princely sum of thirteen US dollars. Me so happy.

:smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Lucky man.

Guess if I ever need to "winter over" I know whose house to do it in.

I need to win the lottery!

Interesting about 70 Squadron being the first to get the 1 1/2's. I believe they were also first to get the Camel in July,1917.

Holy Schnikees! It's official.

You are such a good guy Lou that I can't begrudge your library. Envy? For sure. Thanks again for posting the Ebooks library for us.

Many thanks Rickitycrate, and you are more than welcome Sir. Good to know you are enjoying the eBooks. Maybe you'll need a library card as well. :wink:

I took a second look at the card and now I notice the Lou emblem. How do whip out such clever things so fast?

Hey, that Lou-Emblem is well worked out indeed!

But careful, Lou - that they don't all complain again about you spending too much time in here.

We don't want to lose you one day, cause you got tightened church & community service!

:grin:

Rickitycrate, my trust Paint.NET program can work wonders. Also, Olham, the spokes on my wheel are close to equal right now so things are rolling along nicely on all fronts.

Oh, and here are your library cards Gents.

rickitycrate_library_card_01.jpg

olham_library_card_01.jpg

Lou

Ohlalalala! Thanks a lot Lou - it's beautiful! But now I hope you're aware, that you must deal with this:

I may make transatlantic informational requests depending on your stock of WW1 books!

As the curator I suppose that's simply a risk I'll have to take. Of course there may be a small liquid-based fee involved in filling such requests.

Hey, cool beans Lou! I saved the image and will print my card soon. When I show up at the library door I'll have plenty of liquid in tow. :drinks:

hee, hee...OK then RC. If it's summer I like iced tea, if it's winter I prefer good coffee with a touch of half-and-half.

Also, there will be yet another volume on the shelf in the next few days:

imperial_russian_air_service.jpg

I have seen this book referred to often when I've been searching for info on the Russian Air Service, so when I ran across a near perfect copy of the Flying Machines Press 1996 printing of this work on eBay last night for $39 I snapped it up. I posted at The Aerodrome to ask if it was as comprehensive as it appears, (545 pages), and was informed that it is indeed one of the primary go-to sources on the subject. I am looking forward to reading through it at length.

Cheers!

Lou

Yes, the e-books you posted are priceless. Thanks again for those.

In fact, because of them, I am buying an electronic reader...the $139.00 from Amazon whose name (Kindle?) escapes me now. It reads .pdf files. The only thing I need to confirm is that you can hook it up to your computer and transfer .pdf files to it. I am almost certain you can but want to triple-check!

I have come to discover that I really don't like "reading books" on my computer...one of my several odd quirks I guess.

You are more than welcome Duke. I'm glad to know folks are making use of those downloads. I am planning on getting another one posted when I have a few more volumes collected together. Also, I know what you mean about reading books on the computer. It's OK, but it can't hold a candle, (or a Kindle), to the real thing.

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm told that Kindle and Nook and the like are very nice for reading eBooks. They sure seem to be very popular these days.