Sign in to follow this  
Wodin

SF2 and and SF2Europe

Do I install SF2 Europe in a seperate folder than SF2?

Also is there anything that is inter changeable?

Thanks

it'll automatically 'merge' with SF2.

IF you want a seperate SF2E mods folder, run the sf2e.exe, and it'll create one. Don't forget to create a new shortcut to the SF2e.exe.

In essence, you create 2 sepeate game installs.

The REAL Beauty of the SF2 Series

wrench

kevin stein

Still abit confused....so I install SF2e into the SF2 folder? Does this mean that when I boot up SF2 it will have all the SF2E content aswell?

Still abit confused....so I install SF2e into the SF2 folder? Does this mean that when I boot up SF2 it will have all the SF2E content aswell?

Yes, it will install into the SF2 folder by default, and you will have the content for both.

You can install SF2E into a separate folder, and then they *should* behave as two separate games, needed to patched and updated separately. No content will be shared between the two.

Hello! Used to fly SFP1 - decided to make the "switch" to 2nd Gen - and just love it!!!! My question is about merged installs - sorry if this has been covered before, felt bad about starting a new thread. Besides, I think I want the opposite of what the original poster wanted.

Have the following installed and each patched to their respective latest levels:

SFP2

SFP2:E

SFP2:V

SFP2:I

I've also downloaded a few new addons (Ravenclaw's Bucc and the lovely Hunter FR.10). I've placed them into the SF2 mod folder in My Documents (as per my XP Windows). Now maybe I can't merge all games, but at present, I can only see these addon planes in SFP2 install - can't see them in Europe, Israel, etc.

So my questions are

1) is it possible to have ONE set of planes available for all (or as many of possible) of the 4 sims?

2) if so, can I do away with SFP2 - I have no interest in fictional nations, markings etc. I absolutely do not want to see Dhimari Hunters and Phantoms any more!!! This is my biggest priority.

My periods/theatres of interest are

a) SUEZ era RAF/RN flying (and yes, I know I'll likely need to get Exp 1 and the Combatace 48-55 mod from here thereafter).

b) RAF/RN/RCAF flying during the 60s and 70s cold war period in Europe (I think I'm already there, if I can figure out how to "share" the planes)

c) RAF/RN flying in the Arabian Gulf and African continent anytime during the 50s through to 80s (not aware of now to do this, since I know of now maps or campaings)

Thanks so much for helping a newb!

DL

Edited by deltalima

each exe has a seperate mods folder, although you can play all games for each seperate exe. it is useful for say having a NF4 install, a WW2 install etc. but to have each mod in each exe you will have to put it in all exe mod folders (SF2, V, E, etc). look ing the knowledge base for how to create your mod folder in Gen 2 if you dont know already.

if not interested in Paran and Dhimar then simply don't fly it. however it is advised to keep original SF2 as many terrains and campaigns upcoming will require the desert files in the CAT pointer. i do not have it myself and fly primarily in Europe. i have SF2Vietnam and isreal simply for planes and ships they offer, and use my Vietnam exe for skin testing. as for all you are looking for we have over 9000 files here. i am sure you can find much of what you want and others can help if you want to start trying your hand at modding.

welcome to Gen 2.

OK - so if I wanted to fly desert RAF type of flying (as per Aden in Hunters in the 60s), then you're suggesting flying missions by launching the SFP2:Israel sim? I'll try that, since I'm hoping that the anti-ship missions have me going up against something other than the same old M.V. Rusty Tub.

My question about merged planes persists, though, even after reading this: http://combatace.com...the-mod-folder/. I get that each sim has its own "mod folder", but does that mean that for each addon plane, I need to install the aircraft, decals, pilots, etc. into EACH of the Israel, Vietnam, etc? I'm a bit limited on HDD space, so if I can avoid duplication, I'd prefer that.

Good point about keeping SFP2. I kind of wondered if it wasn't somewhat a "core" product of sorts.

cheers,

DL

Edited by deltalima

In a merged install, all the terrain sets are available from any given title. In other words, one can fly in Vietnam or Israel from within SF2, simply by selecting the terrain. And the AI will be limited to aircraft and weapons belonging to the nations listed within that terrain's nations list (in a system generated mission or campaign).

OK - a "merged install" - that's my question. It doesn't appear that I have fully/properly merged installs. Yes, I can fly a Europe terrain (and see it's corresponding AI, weapons, etc) from say the regular SFP2 sim. But I can't see the Europe flyable aircraft in the SFP2 aircraft. Conversely, if I launch Europe, I can't see the addon aircraft I've added in my SFP2 specific mod folders.

So I think my real question is how does one "merge" their installs, so that not only the terrains - but also ALL the flyable aircraft, are available in ALL the sims? It seems like I have only a "partial" merge going on - terrains, but not flyable aircraft.

Thanks - I know this is probably brutally easy for you pros ... I on the other hand, am smart like rocks. Former army officer, so I have a few additional things stacked against me ... :) LOL

DL

Edited by deltalima

to answere the question, if you want the RAF/RN birds in SF2, they MUST be added to the SF2 mods folder. If you want them only in Europe, they go in the SF2E mods folder (along with any/all appropriate weapons, pilots, etc)

Think if each mods folder as a seperate game, running as it does from seperate, individual exes.

Only the stock 3W aircraft are available by default in all installs (ie: mods folders). Anything 3rd Party ™ must be added where you want them to go.

Edited by Wrench

normally in a merged install you should be able to see all stock planes as well as all terrians. although i have discovered that if you delete a stock plane from the mod folder, you delete it from the game. the mod folder should have at least the aircraft folder with aircraft ini(example F-4B folder with contents being the F-4B.ini) if you still cant see all planes in your install try deleting the mod folder then running the game again to generate a new folder. and its ok sir. i am a current NCO and very used to explaining things to officers :rofl:

Edited by daddyairplanes

Thanks W and D!

I think I'm totally clear on this - all this talk of "merged' installs suggested to me that there was a way to have all sims drawing from a common set of flyable aircraft. So if I leave the Bucc in SPF2 only, I'll only see it there. If I want it in Europe and Israel, I need to put it into BOTH Europe ISRAEL. So there will redundnacy in certain cases - no biggie. I don't see there being too many planes that cross over more than a couple of sims, so maybe this is less of an issue than I thought.

Looks like I'm sorted. Many kind thanks!

DL

ps: I CFR'ed (in Canada, that's Commission from Ranks). Looking back, it was the best way to go. A truly mutually-respecting Sr. NCO/Jr. Officer relationship is not commonplace, and in the end, what I initially thought was a circuitous career progression was in fact a great learning experience - miss those days ... :)