Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Think you're manly?

Strap your ass to a rocket on rails and hit the "Warp Speed" button...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stapp

Now, I've known about this guy for a long time (most folks who've flown ejection seat aircraft have heard of him at one time or another) and that he volunteered for crazy crap he designed. Flying without a canopy at 570 mph...check. Subjecting yourself to 45+ G of deceleration facing forward (after hitting 632 MPH)...check. Riding a damn rocket sled at 400+ MPH with NO windblast protection at all...check.

What I didn't know was how instrumental he was in the adoption of seat belts as mandatory items for American cars (the USAF objected with his research into that at first, until he showed stats that more USAF pilots were being killed in traffic accidents then aircraft accidents). What I also didn't know was that the term "Murphy's Law" was first used by him during a press conference. Though versions of the saying had been around since at least the late 1800s, the press conference was the first time a name was attached to it, thus starting its growth in the aerospace industry and later, the popular culture.

Even after having subjected himself to that kind of abuse, he passed away peaceably at 89 years old in 1999. How many lives (in aviation and in the automobile) has he saved through his putting himself through that kind of abuse.

Did I mentioned he looked like Dave, but turned down to about a 5?

John_Stapp.triddle.jpg

Thanks Col Stapp!

FC

Read about him a few years back... Damn he looks like an accountant... just goes to show watch for the quiet ones... :drinks:

Funny....even i knew many of those things before , specially the murphy's law i didn't knew he was born in Brazil.

I'm not quiet. :lol:

He was one hell of a guy.

Did I mentioned he looked like Dave, but turned down to about a 5?

The difference is that, nowadays Dave always feels as if he's just endured a 46 G deceleration, whereas Colonel Stapp actually did, and simply took it in stride.

• Like 1

The difference is that, nowadays Dave always feels as if he's just endured a 46 G deceleration, whereas Colonel Stapp actually did, and simply took it in stride.

only 46?! :rofl: