Sign in to follow this  
CW3SF

securom What is it? Good or Evil to download and update?

On of the folks at another web site offered the suggestion to up date SECUROM for a solution to another issue on installing another game ( LI 2 1946 ).

Have any of you used SECUROM, and have an opinion about it.

Many thanks.

CW3SF

SECUROM is a copy protection for cd/dvd's. As far as games go I think you can't run the game unless you have the cd/dvd in the drive. You can load it to a virtual drive though.

Maybe someone with more expertise will be along soon.

I have a copy of Il2 1946 (the single disc one bought recently) which would not play at all until I had installed Securom and run it through it....

I have had no issues with it at all and it worked perfectly first time, though I did read of others needing to run it a few times before it would update the game...

My report on it is simply that it saved me a lot of frustration after installing Il2 1946 and having it refuse to load up,which had me pulling my hair out and saying some prayers I learned in shearing sheds when I was a kid.

No shearing sheds in my youth, but tending about 1000 chickens during WW2 I learned both frustration and pain. I tried last night to down it-- must be very large-- with my 1.5 Meg download speed ( about 800 kb in truth ) it ran for over an hour before bed time , so I shut it down.

I'l try again this morning and just let it go until it's done.

Now my next project is to find clear instructions on how to install TrackIR 5. The Bas%$#$% gave not even a hint of a printed manual and the on line one is of not much help. You would think one would get more for $150 these days.

So it's off to cyber land for help with making TrackIR 5 work.

Thanks for your comments fellows. CW3SF

Tranquillo is right; it's a form of DRM that's supposed to inhibit illegal reproduction. The program is so "stupid", it "thinks" any cd/dvd drive in a computer is attempting to copy it. Google EA and Spore and read about the fiasco it caused.

I have the dvd copy of IL-2:1946 and the best way I've found is to open IL-2:1946 and run compatibility mode for setup.exe using XP_SP3 for 32bit or SP2 for 64bit then allow autorun to start it up.

Since you've gone through the Securom install/updated process, you'll need to use the Securom Uninstall Tool to remove it from the pc when you're not going to be running IL-2:1946 any more. It won't uninstall itself when IL-2 is removed.

plug_nickel

Another hopeless, easy to crack piece of rubbish

There are three versions of IL-2 1946 that can be purchased WITHOUT securerom. The downloadable versions from Ubisoft and the downloadable version from gog.com contain no secure rom because there's no disk involved. Also the retail disk version that shows "T" for teen rating on the cover has no securerom protection.