First eagles 2 has head bob and it adds to the immersion and feeling of being in a plane and getting thrown around abit.

I've just noticed SF 2 doesn't have head bob at all...shame as it would add a fair bit to the feeling of flight. Any reason why FE 2 has it implemented and SF2 doesn't?

Thanks

A question for the developer I would have thought!

Difficult to ask TK while the forum's down.

Maybe he assumes that jet pilots ate strapped in tighter?

In other Jet sims you have it...your head will stick get pushed around through g force...would be fantatstic if it is something that can be modded.

Funny as I was tweaking this myself the other day...

In your AIRCRAFTOBJECT.INI (which you might need to extract from one of Objectdata CAT files) try these values in [Views] section highlighted in red:

[Views]

DefaultCockpit=A-4B_cockpit.ini

CockpitOffsetDist=0.07

LookAroundHeight=0.08

HeadAccelFactor=0.5

HeadRollFactor=0.006

HeadSpringFactor=40.0

HeadDampingFactor=1.0

HeadMoveLimit=0.05

not perfect but gives slightly more movement for you viewpoint, perfect would be additional view roll during, well, rolling, Flamming Cliffs 2 style... worth further experimenting :good:

• Like 1

Doesn't the percentage of head bob ingame depend on the tunes one's listening to at the time? :grin:

• Like 1

No, it's linked to amount of coffe one drinks making new mods folder (shudders)

• Like 1

here's slightly adjusted version:

[Views]

DefaultCockpit=A-4B_cockpit.ini

CockpitOffsetDist=0.07

LookAroundHeight=0.08

HeadAccelFactor=1.0

HeadRollFactor=0.02

HeadSpringFactor=40.0

HeadDampingFactor=0.75

HeadMoveLimit=0.01

Think I'm stupid I can't find where the Aircraftobject.ini is in the cat files? I had a look at the individual plane ini's but I couldn't find "View"....

Think I'm stupid I can't find where the Aircraftobject.ini is in the cat files? I had a look at the individual plane ini's but I couldn't find "View"....

It's in ObjectData001.

I only just found it myself!

Thanks Mate....

@Stary I've been messing with the settings but I'm not really seeing any difference...is the bigger the amount the more the head will move? As I've upped them loads and still can't really see a difference.

I'm trying to figure this myself...

Not sure if it actually does anything or not...the differnece is minimal...I even used the FE2 data which really moves around in game yet in SF 2 nothing...maybe even less than before...

When I had my incentive ride, I strapped in that seat very good and I could move my head but I do not recall it bobbing like it does in FE2.

@Dave the thing is even with FE2 settings you don't get the same movement....I want abit more than you get with the vanilla install....obviously not as much as FE2...I find abit of head movement adds to the 3D effect if the cockpit...

Not sure if it actually does anything or not...

believe me it does, but tweaking to good amount is PIA

mightn't it not be linked to animations built into the FE pilot lod, that don't exist in SF??

wrench

kevin stein

mightn't it not be linked to animations built into the FE pilot lod, that don't exist in SF??

wrench

kevin stein

no, animations of pilot figure has nothing to do with player's "in cockpit" viewpoint position and transformations -plane's 3D pilot's head animations (their limits, frequencies, possibility of looking up or down, and durations) have their own separate sub-section idependent from player's view settings.

At one point I had setting that caused whole cockpit move several meters to the left or right during banking (sort of like during hitting the famous "Here be dragons" map border thing) and returning to normal postion after leveling with horizont. You could look to the left for example during turning raight and see cockpit mesh floating in air few meters away.

@Wodin:

have you put the modified aircraftobject.ini in your modspatch\Objects? it must be in there not in the main (core files) install folder!

Edited by Stary

If i recall correctly, the excellent MiG-21 cockpits by Paladrian have always had some quite nice head bobbing going on. Maybe someone with the knowhow™ should take a look at them and see how it's done, because I don't recall them altering the Aircraftobject.ini.

Aha...I had it in my mod flight folder!!!

No wonder I saw little change....call me stupid...

Thanks Stary

Wodin, with the settings I posted, there should be slight but noticeable movement

Thanks mate...much better...also I downloaded the mod which lets you fly as the North in the Gold mod. However the Mig 17's have no air to air missiles nor a gun...so how did they fight? Do I need to change the loadout?

I will post in the Mod forum aswell...just in case this gets missed..

Edited by Wodin

Head bob. I thought that referred to the way the cockpit vibrates up and down when you reach certain speeds. I find that annoying. The vibration is nearly always there in small or large amounts. The cockpit moves up and down on the scenery view. The problem is that when it does this, those beautiful fine details in the cockpit start to flash. So where there are single lines, like in the Attitude Indicator, they move up to where the next line is, and then back down again, rapidly. The result is that you get jiggling lines are unpleasant to look at. It's worse when the contrast between the line and the background is high. Like in the Attitude Indicator. It's particularly bad in a cockpit like the EF 2000 Typhoon, which is a beautifully detailed piece of art. Unfortunately, the head bob causes those fine lines and superimposed button discretes to jiggle annoyingly. I'm at unlimited cockpit on a 27" screen, and it's like the whole cockpit is flashing. All planes do this to different degrees. The closer you zoom in, the less it happens, but you have to zoom in to a ridiculous degree. Now I've mentioned this, you'll not be able to avoid seeing it, so my apologies. But if we want to enjoy fine detail in cockpits, we need cockpits that are locked to the background image. So how can that be done. If we crowdfund TK for his next opus, can we persuade him to tell us how to stop the cockpit moving?