Sign in to follow this  
cianw1

Paveways/mavericks/wall missiles?

Hello everyone i have SFG and also got WOV today. i have posted ALOT of questions previously here about SFG and thankfully you guys have been really helpful for me. But WOV is a more modern game and also set in a differnet time so, i need some help with this also. my first questions (which i can think of at the moment, but i will probably have more questions later on knowing me :P) is about some of WOV's weapons specifically bombs. Can any of you guys tell me about all the bombs that arent in SFG but are here i have tested out a few but still not to sure...i am not sure about paveway,wall-eye,maverick and a few other ones i cant quite remember but if you are answering this and can think of any weaponry that is present in WOV but not SFG please let me lknow. I have tested them all out with no avail apart from mavericks; with them you just select a target and then fire in that direction right and it aut locks on? and also on a semi-related note; what are the effective ranges for the sparrow and sidewinder missiles, and also in the game are the IR missiles moddled to lock onto the aircraft's skin or just the exaust? Thanks alot guys, im really getting into and enjoying flight sims now although im far from a good pilot. i play on custom settings at the moment mainly easy mode but a few settings such as 'blackout' set to 'normal'. Hopefully i will gradually increase my skill and be able to play on 'Hard' and then perhaps in a while will be able to play Lock On.

Lock On has a higher learning curve but once you get familiar with SFG/WOV but a lot of it is just experimentation. As for the guided weapons? This PDF file should help though the Walleye is a bit more difficult. And the best thing is to download "The Range" so you can practice weapon use without getting shot at.

Guided Weapons.pdf

can you please link the range download? i cant find it using search i have tried before aswell and am not sure which is right one. thanks mate.

It takes a bit getting used to what are in essence, glide bombs.

For optical guided bombs you need to get the Range download if you don't already have it as it's going to take some practice to get things right. They're to keep you out of the worst of the AAA so you are going to be making the attack and weapons release from higher altitudes then dive bombing as well as much further away from the target.

The two key things are getting a solid lock and the right release point.

Ideally, you'll have clear weather. Come in at about 20,000ft. 15 miles out or so select the weapon. As of this moment your gunsight doesn't exist as the view coming from the camera in the weapon is your whole world. Those crosshairs are what you are going to be flying, ignore everything and keep an eye on the tube.

About 10 miles or so, drop the nose towards the target and watch the crosshairs. A slight adjustment here and there and soon you'll see them snap into a lock. Pickle the weapon and that's it. If you made a textbook approach you should be well above the triple A and in a good position to get the hell out of dodge.

As for your other questions it depends on the situation and what version of a missle you are using. Do some searches in this forum and you'll find more a lot info on that subject. Gun range is rather moot as the best thing you can do is to get to point blank range and cut loose. My personal view is that further than 400 meters is out of range.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

One can find 'Terrains' (aka maps) in the Terrains downloads section.

We've done a fairly good job (well, for 1stGens at least) in catagorizing download items:

Skins are broken down by aircraft type,

Aircraft are broken down by era (WW2, Cold War, Modern, and broken down again to subtypes: fighter, bombers, transorts, ect)

Object Mods are things NOT aircraft (ships, vehicles, Air Defense units, etc)

Terrains are the various part of the world

and so forth

I'd reccomend spending some time just browsing the different categories, to gain some familiaray.

Also -- and this is important -- spend several weeks (as you're doing) getting familiar with how the game works IN IT'S OUT-OF-THE-BOX STOCK FORMAT; without any mods

And -even MORE IMPORTANT!!! - spend a LOT of time in the Knowledge Base. Start at the beginning are read every single post/thread in there. 98.6% of all the questions you're askin -and WILL be asking!!!- are already anwered there.

Like was said above, the SF series dosen't have a steep learing curve, but self-education is a great help in increasing the 'enjoyment factor'. It also has the side effect of 'historical knowledge gained' of the "how we got here" kinda thing.

Time well spent, I'd say!

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks everyon. im going to read the linked pdf above about bombs and ill go throught the KB. Also its kind of inconvenient for me to play the game whenever i want because i only have a laptop (and a really, really old desktop) to play games on but i only play on laptop as the desktop is 100% incapable. i have to set it up on a table and plug in a usb hub then into that i plug in a extra keyboard(so it has keypad etc), mouse and then the joystick. hopefully some day i will hae a nice gaming desktop though :D

i downloaded the range and a wep pack that was made by dave for jan 08. i installed into my WOV folder and now when i go to single mission and put on thr range and then if i go to loadout screen whatever aircraft i choose there are no weapons available? is this maybe because weapon pack and range mods do not work together or something?

i downloaded the range and a wep pack that was made by dave for jan 08. i installed into my WOV folder and now when i go to single mission and put on thr range and then if i go to loadout screen whatever aircraft i choose there are no weapons available? is this maybe because weapon pack and range mods do not work together or something?

You are patched to the '08 patch level, right?

I think with that weapons pack you may need to run the weapons data throught the weapons editor once to get the weapons to work in game. That should be covered in either the readme for the weapons pack or in the knowledge base.

You are patched to the '08 patch level, right?

I think with that weapons pack you may need to run the weapons data throught the weapons editor once to get the weapons to work in game. That should be covered in either the readme for the weapons pack or in the knowledge base.

ive looked at the weapon editor thread but iots too confusing for me id prefer to just delete that wep pack and then get one that i dont need to put through the editor bu idk what the file is :( and untill i delete it the only weapon i have is cannon :( could you do me afavour and print screen you WOV folder so that i can delete all my extras that are there? otherwise id have to reinstall and then i would lose my campaign data

Check out the readme that comes with it and break it down to a step by step action. Also look in the Knowledge Base as that's where you can figure out how to use that editor.

http://combatace.com/gallery/image/18944-img00745jpg/

http://combatace.com/gallery/image/18945-img00748jpg/

Edited by Lt. James Cater

at the moment i need to delete the wep pack so i can atleast use stock weapons . if i list all thing in my WOV main folder will you tell me the ones that arent supposed to be there?

campaigns

effects

manual

missions

objects

screenshots

speech

terrain

controls

flight

menu

netcache

pilotdata

sounds

system

intromovies

range operatiom guiode

startup(and the startups in other languages e.g startup german)

WOV

IFC23.dll

options

readme

update

they are the contents of my WOV folder i need you te;ll me which should i delete to get rid of weapons pack im guessing the dll but i dont want to yet just incase its something important

does anyone know of any weapon packs that you can download without putting them through editor?

No you have to put them through the editor as when you start the game the "weapondata.dat" is read by the game so it "knows" there are weapons. The only way to do that is to get the SF2 series. Then you can drop weapons in and start the game and they'll be automatically be there for your use.

ok i know there is stuff in KB and stuff about wep editor but is this what i do :

1.download wep pak

2.open editor

3.open wep pack in wep editor

4. change the file and save it

4. the end?

Yeah. Strike Fighters has a very low learning curve as once you figure it out its not hard to forget. Okay you may if you go to SF2. Its that easy.