Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Hans Lietzmann Lithograph of Richthofen's Last Flight

Greetings All,

I imagine there are some aviation artists and art history folks here who are familiar with Hans Lietzmann's depiction of MvR preparing for his last flight. Quite some time ago I ran across a scan from a very old magazine showing a two-page printing of this lithograph, and I have used said scan as a screensaver at various times in the past. The problem was that the original printing was in less-than-ideal condition, with a large seam running vertically through the middle, some staining here and there, and a lot of print bleed through from the back side. It was a pity too, as I have only ever run across one other image online of this work, (done by Lietzmann back in May of 1918), and that was of even lower quality. So, early this morning I decided it was high time to repair, restore, and generally spruce up this outstanding old bit of classic aviation art. After a couple pots of coffee and several hours time I am, I believe, done with this little project, and I'm posting it here for anyone who might like to save a copy for themselves.

Richthofens_Last_Flight_01.jpg

I hope I've done justice to Herr Lietzmann's evocative depiction.

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, I often wonder what treasure there may be among your many books and pics.

Thanks for sharing - didn't know this one.