Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

Wow What a Difference

It's amazing what a change of inputs can do for you!

I've been running my gaming rig on the VGA input that was supplied by the monitor the computer came with. Mind you, the monitor is a 22" high def 1680x1050 screen. Little did I know just how bad the image quality was until I replaced my video card a few weeks back. Suddenly I noticed a constant, rippling flicker through the screen. At first I thought the monitor was giving up the ghost but a friend suggested that my use of the ancient VGA source was the problem.

Long story short, I switched out to a DVI setup and wow, the picture quality is so much better. I do have an HDMI port on the monitor, but it's currently doing duty for my XBox 360. Once I get a new TV that can handle the Xbox, however, I'll be upgrading from DVI to HDMI. In the meantime, the picture difference is massive. Even the forums look better!

So, if you're still using VGA - and I fear I was probably the only one - upgrade your input and OFF will look even more eye-popping than it already does!

Well, it would appear that my new monitor (that is shipping) can hang with the DVI but my older video card (Nvidia 7950GT) almost certainly does not have a DVI hook-up...maybe...more research needed.

I would presume the use of a "adapter" negates the benefit of DVI. Tech gurus?

EDIT: According to specs my card appears to be DVI capable - at least dual DVI is mentioned,

Edited by DukeIronHand

Boy am I stupid!!!

Apparently because of my older monitor, that is now broken and I am using a temp pending my new one, I have using my DVI capable system and converting it to the old VGA standard so it would work with my old monitor!

Doh!

Double Doh!!

Thanks CaptSopwith for the technical kick in the pants!

I noticed a big upgrade when I switched from Windows XP to Win 7 (64) I had been using a monitor that was 1680 x 1050 and the clarity was like night and day. Then I upgraded to a DVI capable monitor and it is really nice.

Beard

DVI is just as good as HDMI for video.HDMI just ads audio channels. If you had a video card that supported HDMI and you wanted to use the speakers on your TV for instance, would be the only reason to use it.

Cheers.

Edited by FenrisWlf