Sign in to follow this  
Dej

Fateful Morn

Here is the revised and, I think, final version.

I've redesigned the hangars from scratch. You can't see it but they have all their internal framework as well as working curtains across the front! Many thanks to Jim Miller (JFM) for his valuable input on the style of hangar used at Bertangles and the photos of same.

I've added some activity and detritus hopefully to give the scene a more 'lived in' look and procedural grass to improve the ground texturing.

The scenario is:

It's the early morning of 23rd November 1916 at Bertangles aerodrome. No. 24 Squadron is assigned to offensive patrol in defence of British two seaters carrying out vital reconnaisance before the next desperate push in the closing stages of the disappointing Somme Offensive.

Maj. Lanoe Hawker's crew have just wheeled his DH2, No.5964, out in front of the hangars in anticipation of a busy day ahead. Hawker won't actually fly until the afternoon - he shouldn't, in fact fly, at all being the C.O. - but No. 24 will be a man short. His crew don't know this, though, nor do they know that this is the last day they'll see the machine... or Hawker.

The overnight clouds are clearing and a fine day is forecast but there's a still touch of ground frost lingering... it's early yet. The squadron riggers and fitters are finishing their night's work, apart from one individual who has nipped out for a crafty gasper (cigarette) before the officers arrive for the morning patrol. Inside the hangar behind Hawker's machine, Capt. J. O. Andrew's DH2 isn't quite ready yet after having a cracked airscrew replaced... not that it'll do Andrews any great good, his engine will stop a bullet in the early stages of the encounter in which Hawker will meet his end.

3D modelling and rendering in Cinema 4D, post processing (mesh error correction, sky re-colouring, trees, cigarette smoke, film grain effect) in Photoshop.

Hope you like it...

Fateful Morn v0.2.jpg

• Like 2

Well done, that man!

Wonderful detail, Dej. :clapping:

The dirt and weathering is fantastic!...wish I could get my skins to look that good!!

That is simply a work of art. If I didn't know better I'd say that you actually gone back in time with your camera and taken a (beautiful) snap.

Bravo!

:clapping: well done sir,

m

Drooling for more. That's excellent.

About time for a new desktop I think.

I always wonder about the cockpit in all pusher types. I can't decide whether I'd love having the best seat in the house, or fill my boots before every mission to be so exposed, cold and vulnerable. I feel the same about later planes with the glass noses, the spectacle of flight, any flight, must have been something to see. You'd never look at the world the same way ever again. Can you imagine flying over the trenches? It would blow my tiny mind, that's for sure.

Excellent! I never cease to wonder at the talent and knowledge of the members of this forum.It is my first stop every morning.

Great job, Dej!

You'd almost expect some mechanic or even Major Hawker coming along to check the kite, any minute.

That really is wonderful looking

Outstanding artistry sir. It's like stepping back in time.

You certainly have a gift. :salute:

Hellshade

Excellent Dej, reallty looks like a brisk early morning.