Sign in to follow this  
TaillyHo

problem at end of campaign missions

Apologies in advance if there is an 'obvious' post or fix for this problem. I've checked the BHaH FAQ, annd looked back over the last 12 months of posts here and couldn't see any.

I have been running OFF - mostly campaigns, but some QC sessions - for a few months now with no problems. Last few weeks, I have been exiting certain campaign missions (as per FAQ: Esc and then End Mission) only to encounter a CTD or boot back to the OFF Manager menus with the date and time reset as if that mission hadn't happened at all. No debrief, mission stats, claim forms or additional hours in my pilot's log either.

The only system change that I can associate with the emergence of this seemingly random problem is a new nVidia driver. I have tried deleting some 'deceased' pilots to free up space (but I only had 10-12 in total (ie. current and deceased). I've also tried removing and re-enlisting a couple of newer pilots where this problem happened more than once. It doesn't seem to affect my more established pilots (but that may just be chance).

I'm suspicious of the graphic driver (even tho the in-game graphics are working fine). Running XP btw.

If anyone has had similar problems and has any advice I'd be very grateful. :salute:

Firstly anytime you change drivers you must configure your video card yet again

Anytime you CTD, most times your Detail Sliders are advanced too high. A Driver change is not always the best for all games. I would retard one notch across the board. See if that solves the CTD, if yes come back one at a time. Chances are you going to find the culprit that way

I'm of the school . . ."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

If the rainfall resembled golf balls , there is a choice . . disable rain in overrides. . or a new Driver

But if there's no problem, I ain't going change anything. Just because it's new, but that's just me

Thanks uncleal. I'm no driver junkie - fact is I hadn't updated drivers for a couple of years and figured with installing OFF and then TrackIR, it might be good to do so. Hellshade gave a heads-up on some new ones that seemed to be good with OFF, so I grabbed them.

May or may not be the culprit, just seeing if this issue rang a bell with anyone else before I started swapping stuff, changing settings, installing and re-installing just per chance the problem goes away. Will try the detail sliders - tho I don't know how they'd be fine where they are most of the time and then just act up every now and then.

Realise I'm not the only here with tech 'issues' tho! :cool:

Yeah, I hear what you're saying uncleal. I know I have options - like going back to the 'older' drivers, or just putting up with it.

I was just hoping if I put it out there, someone might say "yeah I had that problem once, I did this [whatever] ... and it went away".

Seeing that you hail from "Down Under," I suspect a heat problem. Increase your cooling, clean out your case and fans, perhaps install a better fan on your video card. If the problems go away when the weather gets cooler, there's your answer.

Thanks James, but I'm in the coolest part of Australia - and if it was heat and dust I think it would be reaking havoc across all apps and ops, not just picking on OFF (sometimes).

Just one of those quirky and slightly annoying things it seems.

cheers :drinks:

If you installed drivers then not only does CFSconfig need to be re-run and reconfigured (including any optimisations you may have done for Nvidia /ATI cards (see Video Tips in our FAQ), but also your Nvidia /ATI display settings themselves may be different settings now. Check through them, and check http://overflandersfields.com/Tips.htm

Thanks for your reply, Pol. I'll have a close look at the 'tips' again. :good: