Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

BVR missile launch

I've finally gotten the hang of the radar for BVR strikes. Woohoo. Here is the result of an AIM-7E-2 strike from 20nm using an F4.

I just realized something. This was a head-on engagement, but the missile came around from the rear. Too weird. Am I wrong or shouldn't the missile have just homed in on the radar locked aircraft from what ever direction it was fired?

are you sure he didn'y turn? or that your radar didn't paint another ship?if your settings are hard you won't get a red square and no yellow diamond on lock.

Pretty sure they didn't turn. I have the settings at normal right now as I'm still trying to learn the sim. I locked him up and headed straight at him and the yellow triangle didn't appear to deviate from the heading he was on. Not really too worried about it, as I got a kill, but just thought it was weird.

If ya get a in situation again that is similar, try going to weapons view and watch the missle as it flys and see what it does. Just a thought...

Yep, will try that. Now to get my flight to launch on them too. Also, is it just me or does the AI only use guns?

What view were you using for the MiG? If it was the target to player view, then the MiG would be flying away.

Rogue, I've been hit by a MiG-21's Atolls more than once. They definately use 'em. You just have to remember, the Atoll is worse than an AIM-9B, so its pretty easy to spoof it. Even easy jinking can put you out of the launch parameters, so I don't think I need to mention what heavy dogfighting will do, :D.

Actually, I was referring to my wingmen. Those guys always come back with a full missile load. I think I've heard Fox 1 maybe 2 times in 30 missions. Fox 2 never.

What I would really like to be able to do is when I'm shooting BVR to have the entire flight do the same. You know, Death from afar. 8 AIM-7E's launched at once would make a terrific screenie. :D Not to mention the surprise on the MIG pilots face.

As for the other matter, the direction of the missile strike, I watched one today and it appeared that I was mistaken, the MIG wasn't flying directly at me but diagonally across my flight path. So that would explain the direction of the strike.

Jim

HA! Got a target on radar...selected it and watched the two brackets move down and mark the radar target. Then attempted succesfully to aquire target... fired sparrow, watched as it homed in, both in missle view and target view.... BOOM! WHAM! KABLOOIE! Instant scrap, hehehe.

I love it when a BVR missile attack works... :D

Guest Ranger332

AI on both side can and will use missles

Anyone ever tag a friendly at BVR??? I'm getting better at not doing this. :) :shock:

Not with Sparrows. I've got 2 friendlies with Sidewinders though. Need to be more careful about launching them in a tight turn.

When going for the BVR kill, I'll get him locked up, then use the F6 key to cycle through and make sure that I've got a bad guy.

I did that.. cycling thru the externals... kind of takes away some of the "fog of battle" doing that though...

This may help a bit in using views without cycling through every plane.

This was posted by TrashMan. He was giving tips on use of radar and views. Helped me alot, hope it helps you!

Well u need to get the target in front of you first so u can actually use the rdr for weapons. I use these following functions a lot.

M for Map...so u can decide which bogie u want.

T for select next enemy...so u can get and idea where the targets at in front of you by selecting a view button afterward.

Shift F8 for a outside player to target view...this helps a lot when trying to see what your target is trying to do to you and also so u can get an idea of which way u should be turning or evading.

F4 padlock view...helps when you are in your cockpit trying to reel in that target closer to your pipper.

F8 zooms to current target...make sure its a bogie and not your wingman!!

Radar functions...search is great for getting a lock but boresight in this game gets it done. It seems that I get more kills in boresight than in search. I recommend keeping your weapons set on Sidewinders this way u can use your guns and when u get a good tone LAUNCH THAT FRICK'N MISSILE because u might not get another chance. Do keep in mind the AOA so u dont waste the missile of course. Sparrows work well when the target is not so active but u have to keep that bogie locked in boresight or u just wasted thousands of tax payer's dollars on air. I have evaded many Sparrows while in Shift F8 view.

Speed!!! Air speed is the key to survival. How many time have you watched your opponets air speed and compared it to yours while in NORMAL RADAR SETTING MODE meaning u have cones to follow. In full realism mode u dont get to see the bad guys air speed so I would try and keep an eye on your air speed at all times....you dont need to give a STEROID JERK to turn while chasing a bogie, be cool and collected..heck drink a Newcastle before flying to relax or some other brew of your choice. Fly the A-4 to control your air speed because we all know how fast that bird bleeds energy right now without the patch.  

There are very few people I see hosting SF in full realsim mode because of the rdr situation but if you get a good partner to practice with its actually a lot of fun once u get good at it. Mind those who read this that I am not trying to be a buff on this game its just what I've learned so far playing SF and other flightsims.

Almost forgot that while in search mode dont forget to acquire your target when ya get a blip...lol this helps when trying to fire a Sparrow from far away. And in boresight mode the target will be auto locked once the rdr feels its ready. For a brief while u might see nothing in boresight mode even though u know that bogie is in front of you and then wammo there it is autolocked asking for some attention. I usually grab my brew while waiting for a lock.  

Hope this helps.

TM