Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

ROF Announces Career Mode

OFF phase 3 won't be touched and Phase 4 comes out at some point...RoF is restricted by the engine...the lack of ground units...the bizarre terrain and front line...god knows how long it will take to get enough planes to make the campaign play reasonably historically.....is not optimised and thus a system hog with a few planes in the air, again the plane models are great so is the FM but I haven't seen anything to make me think "oh thats why it is a system hog"...OFF can have 100...I've seen 40+ dogfighting no problems...Jason from 777 telling us all to lower our expectations as it's not going to be RB3D....

For shear immersion their will have to be a shear miracle in my opinion for RoF to get the same level of immersion as OFF....and with OFF 4 out soon then RoF best stick with MP....

Oh I think a particular person from 777 goes about customer relations all wrong and can wind people up...I also think it has it's fair share of fanboys that really get on my nerves...

I read nothing in the rundown that shouldn't be standard in a campaign anyway....though it's good to see the SP get improved....

Still I wouldn't put money on it being mind blowing and taking out all compition....it would require in my eyes a major overhaul....and so many new units that in the end you'd get a frame a minute...

I reckon that 777 weren't going to do this much...only the hype about it going to be a RB3D killer and the fanboys baning on about how 777 can do no wrong and despite 777 telling them to lower their expectations they have had to do a re think which is why it's been delayed and probably wont be out till the end of the year...if were lucky...by then hopefully we would have a decent amount of planes....

Though P4 will be out and thats where I reckon I will still be flying more than RoF...

pretty much agree with above.

full-blown dynamic, immersive sp wasn't really part of the piecemeal, always on-line business model rof was planned along.

rof is intended for mp 40-player dogfights in ww1 crates, that's how it will stay. 777s approach to game design and development, has to radically alter to produce something deeper.

I agree 777 Studios will have a challenge in front of them trying to convert their MP centered sim to handle an in depth SP campaign. I believe OFF:BH&H will still be the deeper experience in terms of SP dynamic campaign for a lot of reasons and Phase 4 will only likely extend that lead.

That said, once my money has already been spent on a product I'm always happy to see a developer put more time and effort into improving it. Recently, after almost a full year of neglect, the developer of Wings of Prey started releasing patches for it again. Will it bring in hordes of new players? Highly unlikely. But if the updates make me enjoy the product more, I see no reason not to give it a try and hope for the best...with tempered expectations. Jason from 777 studios is doing his best to lower expectations of the single player campaign experience that some of the more enthusiastic players have been pumping up to more than what was intended and to me that's the sign of a mature developer. I can't be against honesty in a developer and I'm not going to hold a developer responsible for some of the more, shall we say 'elaborate', expectations that are being thrown about by it's hardcore fanbase.

RoF does what it was designed to do very well and obviously doesn't do what it wasn't designed to do hardly at all. Attempting to branch out in other directions in order to capture a larger audience is both a challenging and risky move for 777 studios, requiring both time and money from out of their own pockets with no guarantee it will attract a larger audience, especially in the face of stiff competition that has a serious lock on the lead of SP campaigns. I applaud their motivation to try and improve their product for their customers AND their willingness to admit up front that it isn't going to be a dynamic, fully featured single player campaign. They are doing what they can within the limits of the product they created. One cannot reasonable expect or ask for more from anyone.

Ironically, I currently see almost no real competition between OFF and RoF besides the fact that they are both WWI flight sims. One is a champion of dynamic single player campaign richness and the other is the clear leader in on-line multiplayer dogfighting. Regardless of what 777 Studios comes up with, and for that matter regardless of what OBD software comes up with in Phase 4, I doubt there will be any significant changes to the lead either one has in their respective areas. Time will tell, of course. Metaphorically speaking, they are a fork and a knife at the same table. Both excellent for what they were designed for but not really able to replicate the function of the other very well.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

One part of Rise Of Flight that aint cutting edge is this....

20112994654.jpg

It doesn't matter how good the gameplay, career mode, multiplayer or whatever is, if you have to look at this.

This is edge of map immersion killing at its worst.

Edited by Davy TASB

I thought that was just the Germans mowing the lawn in nice, neat, orderly rows.

They can be fanatics about perfection, you know. :grin:

Hellshade

I thought that was just the Germans mowing the lawn in nice, neat, orderly rows.They can be fanatics about perfection, you know.

Hellshade

Us Germans???!!!

Who is the world champion in cutting the lawn to perfection (even scissors would be used)?

The British! (I know that from "Asterix in Britain"! Hah!)

Time to knock ROF again, just make sure you keep your CFS3 disc clean.

Shot across the bows everyone!:warning:

If this turns into a sim-bashing thread, it will be shut down.

You know the rules.

shredward

Time to knock ROF again, just make sure you keep your CFS3 disc clean.

Actually I just posted a 3 paragraph defense of the work they were doing on their SP campaign. Did you by chance read that?

I'll keep my CFS3 disc clean. I'll also hope my internet connection doesn't fail for an extended period of time or somebodies servers never go off-line. No sim is perfect. Most of the regulars here know that.

Apologies to Olham. I wasn't aware the British were the true masters of lawncare. I stand appropriately humbled and corrected sir. :grin:

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Shot across the bows everyone!:warning:

If this turns into a sim-bashing thread, it will be shut down.

You know the rules.

shredward

I posted the picture but I aint particularly knocking RoF, I have it and its good and its getting better patch by patch... except for when you see the stripey bits mainly on the Verdun map.

I posted the picture in response to some of the comments about "immersion" in OFF and RoF and those stripes let the immersion factor in RoF down IMO.

Just saying like! :salute:

For shear immersion their will have to be a shear miracle in my opinion for RoF to get the same level of immersion as OFF....and with OFF 4 out soon then RoF best stick with MP....

Exactly. It's not only a question of the engine it's also a question of being able to recreate a believable WWI environment. RoF lacks all of those little things that will help to have an effective immersion.

I'm not knocking the sim...RoF does what it does and does it well....however the hype around the campaign all from RoF devotees is going into the stratosphere.....777 release a good list of what the campaign will be like which to me strikes me as standard issue in a campaign system that would be expected these days...I applaud what they are trying to do but flying RoF for awhile brings it home the restrictions of the engine they have developed and trying to make it do something that it so obviously was never designed to do deserves credit....the whole engine would require a d

drastic overhaul in so many areas for a campaign to live up to the hype the RoF fans are generating...I've seen on a few forums now about is this going to be the OFF or RB3D killer....I very much doubt it...

Also if it does become revolutionary don't be surprised if it requires a fee due to the amount of work they have to put into it....I don't expect to see it until the end of the year at least. By then I hope P4 is out....

All said though I am very happy that the future looks good for RoF and it will always shine in the areas of FM and plane graphics....the rest needs, in my opinion scrapping and the whole thing redesigned and then we would have a classic on our hands...

I AM knocking the Sim...And I'm allowed to...I spent good money on it..I don't like it..I feel I was ripped off...that's all there is to it

Us Germans???!!!

Who is the world champion in cutting the lawn to perfection (even scissors would be used)?

The British! (I know that from "Asterix in Britain"! Hah!)

Althought it is hard to believe, I have seen sissors being used on a lawn. I was in the Army at an Airfield and they had a VIP coming in early in the AM. They used car lights to light up the lawn areas and cut the grass at night Then at Dawn they had the troops use sissors to do the edging I know because I was one of the unfortunate individuals involved. Oh the VIP diverted and landed somewhere else.

Althought it is hard to believe, I have seen sissors being used on a lawn.

I was in the Army at an Airfield and they had a VIP coming in early in the AM. They used car lights to light up

the lawn areas and cut the grass at night Then at Dawn they had the troops use sissors to do the edging

I know because I was one of the unfortunate individuals involved.

Oh the VIP diverted and landed somewhere else.

Well, you Americans can't deny you have quite a lot of English blood in yourn veins, eyh?

And the military seems to be the same everywhere.

Althought it is hard to believe, I have seen sissors being used on a lawn. I was in the Army at an Airfield and they had a VIP coming in early in the AM. They used car lights to light up the lawn areas and cut the grass at night Then at Dawn they had the troops use sissors to do the edging I know because I was one of the unfortunate individuals involved. Oh the VIP diverted and landed somewhere else.

Although it is hard to believe, I experienced a similar incident during my time in the Air Force. I was stationed at Travis AFB, which is in California, in the early 1990s. During that time, California was in the midst of a 5 year drought, so naturally the grass was all brown. They actually commanded airman (not me, thank God), to go out and "Paint the grass green" because some General was supposed to drive by our building. Some things are just mind stunners.

Hellshade

... They actually commanded airman (not me, thank God), to go out and "Paint the grass green" because some General was supposed to drive by our building.

And I always thought, the German military was the most bizzare... :rofl:

Although it is hard to believe, I experienced a similar incident during my time in the Air Force. I was stationed at Travis AFB, which is in California, in the early 1990s. During that time, California was in the midst of a 5 year drought, so naturally the grass was all brown. They actually commanded airman (not me, thank God), to go out and "Paint the grass green" because some General was supposed to drive by our building. Some things are just mind stunners.

Hellshade

Back in the '70s they built a new residential area on the edge of Birmingham UK, not far from us. The queen came to open the shopping centre and, because the new turf had gone brownish, they sprayed that green before her visit!

Thanks Shred. Please keep it civil please or move to http://combatace.com/forum/46-wwi-flight-sim-discussion/ for other WW1 sim posts. This is where this thread should be.

Similar rules are applied in other sites and forums about posting about other sims to stop mud slinging.

Here are Dagger's comments on posting rules in that forum, so you can imagine here we are also concerned.

http://combatace.com/topic/62290-a-few-ground-rules-this-is-for-all-sims/

Folks I am going ot set the record straight real fast. This applies to ALL sims. IF you don't like a sim, fine don't like it,DO NOT trash it and flame anybody just because they do...

...Folks, I would thing as a WW1 fan you would be jumping over the moon when a new WW1 sim comes out. We should be working together to keep the title going.

[/size]

Well, you Americans can't deny you have quite a lot of English blood in yourn veins, eyh?

And the military seems to be the same everywhere.

Olham, we actually have a very huge proportion of people with German anscestry. With WWI, the Brits were a bit worried about who the Americans would side with, if they got involved. And once involved in the war, my great-great grampa had to get special ID, because he was originally from East Prussia, and he worked for the City Department of Roads Docks and Sewage in the Detroit area. So he was in a tough spot for about 6 months, but his co-workers all put in a good word for him, so he didn't lose his job.

Even during the War For Independence, there were problems with language barriers because of the huge population of Germans in Pennsylvania, many of whom did not speak english, so there were always needs for translaters.

In regards to the original post, the following is a direct quote from Jason of 777 Studios regarding the upcoming campaign.

"The new Career will be require online connectivity just as it does now. It is part and parcel to how our system works. No online, career broken and does not work.

We suggest Pat's Career if you want a totally offline experience. He's done a great job. In the future as we grow our content and engine features even more the advantages of having an online requirement for some features will become more apparent. It's not all about DRM like some like to pretent and try and make us look bad.

COD adopting Steam shows just how important an internet connection is these days to help manage users, content, patches and add-ons. We can't satisfy everyone all the time. We've come to live with this fact.

Someday we too will use Steam (although not in the same way), but right now the cost and time involved in that is too much to justify the effort. We have other more immediate features that you guys want we'd rather spend our time on.

Jason"

Different approaches by different developers just means there is something for everybody and we all have more to pick and choose from. There really wouldn't be much point if all the developers made the same exact flight sim, would there?

Hellshade

Interesting read, Conrad! :good:

Hellshade, you are absolutely right there - I like to have more than only one good restaurant in my area: more choice.

And I visit them all. Because of choice.

I think, for us real WW1 air combat enthusiasts, it is no question to have either this or the other sim.

I bet, many here do already have both sims. I don't have RoF yet, but will sooner or later get it.

That won't keep me from getting P4 - no way!

Interesting read, Conrad! :good:

Hellshade, you are absolutely right there - I like to have more than only one good restaurant in my area: more choice.

And I visit them all. Because of choice.

I think, for us real WW1 air combat enthusiasts, it is no question to have either this or the other sim.

I bet, many here do already have both sims. I don't have RoF yet, but will sooner or later get it.

That won't keep me from getting P4 - no way!

If it wasn't for the fact that my copy wasn't hung around my neck by the DRM ...you could have it free of charge Olham...In fact, I might even go as far as to pay you to get rid of it! :grin:

Olham,

I have an extra copy of ROF. I will post it next week to you if you are interested?

Cheers

M :salute: