Sign in to follow this  
Pawgy

9.5 gig of skins. Can i remove some?

I have painted some new skins and thanks to Bullethead when installing I was directed to the C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\skins folder.

I see I have 9.5 gig of skins most of which I will never access.

Can I safely remove many with out efffecting game play in any way? Maybe my QC will load faster.

Pawgy

Edited by Pawgy

I don't think so. The sim uses the skins for all the many squadrons.

You would rather mess up everything - cause the sim would now search for skins, which you eliminated.

OFF won't load skins it doesn't need for a mission or QC, so you wouldn't save loading time.

Olham is spot on correct sir. You don't think you are using all of that data, but the sim uses it, especially in the campaign.

Hellshade

a possibility which i know works in TW sims tho i am unsure about OFF is to reduce the size of the skins using a photoshop program. many of the hi resolution skins in SF2 slow my computer down until i reduce the size from say 4096x4096 to 1024 or even 512. i think the Off vets can give better guidance on how if this is an option in game. also as far as the game using all, wow that is some immersion! TW will function as long as it has a skin, tho you might have say USAF Hercules in a RAF squadron.

Thanks. I guess I will leave them alone.

Pawgy

Yes, I would recommend that, Pawgy.

Hey! Isn't that my silver-blue Triplane in your avatar?! :yikes:

Good Grief! I had no idea how much space OFF took up. I've never bothered to look but my copy weighs in at just shy of 18GB. For comparison, my old HDD from 1998 was an 18GB drive. That's pretty remarkable! And yes, I'm sure OFF uses all of the skins included. I see a new paint scheme every time I fly.

Yes, I would recommend that, Pawgy.

Hey! Isn't that my silver-blue Triplane in your avatar?! :yikes:

I apologize if I stole something I should not have. But ,yes it is your Triplane with USA wing markings and a neat usa decal on the fusalage with lots of central powers decals (Planes shot down) on the side. If you wish i will remove it but it is the nicest paint scheme I have seen for the trip so far. If it is OK to keep it,, thanks a lot. If not Thanks anyways cause i guess i can still use it in the game.

Pawgy

Olham's Silver blue triplane slightly altered. Great skin by Olham.

post-19689-0-76976800-1300213350.jpg

Edited by Pawgy

Hi all,

As I skin aircraft for OBD, my skins folder has all current in-game skins, plus those extra allied skins I've worked and susequently tested in-game.

Currently my OBD directory runs at 20.7 Gig with the skins folder at 12.8 Gig with 4,917 files, and that's without all of the latest German aircraft skins.

Bring on Phase 4 eh :clapping:

Edited by sandbagger

Hey, Pawgy, I didn't mean it that way - I just realised it was that Tripe I had made some time ago.

Of course you can use it ingame, that's why I uploaded it.

That you use it as your acatar, I actually feel honoured by that. :good: