Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

FSX in Win7

After installing FSX onto my new laptop, the default location of "Program Files (x86) seems to lock me out of editing the cfg files. In FS9 is was much easier. I also seem to get an error when trying to install any of the World of AI packs. It lists that I don't have authority to edit the files in PF(x86).

So my question is if it would be better to simply install it directly into the C drive and bypass the PF(x86) folder. Will this allow me to edit easier?

Also, is there a good tutorial to maximizing FSX to get the best from it?

-Storm

Cant think off the top of my head why you're having problems Jeff but here's summat worth looking at....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?46139-FsX-Configurator

also , check out some of the other guides over there, some useful stuff m8.

Edited by Sundowner

I'll give the site a look, Ant. Thanks.

I've read about it on the net, but could not get the bypass instructions to work. It's about giving permissions and such.

You'd think a Microsoft product would work in another MS product. Go figure...

-Jeff

If you right click on the cfg.file and left click on properties, you will find a tab labeled security. Left click on the security tab. You will find a window called user or group names. You should find yourself as a user. Left click on yourself (as a user). Left click on the edit button below the window. Left click on yourself in the new window and left click on allow in the window labeled permission for users. Left click on the OK button and the bottom left of the window pane, and then repeat on the last window pane. This will allow you to edit and save the cfg file. At this point I have to do this to each individual file that I what to edit. Once you have access to the file you will maintain access to this file. I like win7 a lot, but this is a pain. I would love to know an easier way.

Thanks Ghost. That fixed my issues with the cfg files. Now I'll try and figure out why I get errors trying to install the WoAI packs.

-Jeff

Have you tried right clicking the installer and selecting 'Run as Administrator'?

The Program Files folders are protected from unauthorised users altering files in them, basically as a way of trying to stop malicious code being run. If you select 'Run as Admin' you're saying that it's alright for that program to make changes to those folders.

That's why TK made the Strike Fighters 2 series place the files you'd want to change somewhere else.

Although it's ironic that an MS product doesn't play well with another MS product they were produced by two separate divisions of MS. Also FSX was written around the same time as Vista so they didn't have access to all the detail as to how security was going to be implimented in the new OS.

You can lower the level of protection from the User Access Control or UAC panel, personally I have it one from the bottom setting which means I have to run things as Admin to let them change stuff but it cuts the warnings down to the minimum which is handy when you're doing dev stuff!

Edited by SkippyBing

I've fixed that issue. Thanks.

-Jeff