Sign in to follow this  
Av8er

PC requirements and a few questions

Hi everyone, how is this for running OFF?

Intel Core i3-380m

Intel HD Graphics

6GB DDR3 memory

windows seven

Also a long time ago about a year and a half now i bought the hat and ring expantion but don't know where i put the disk i burned it on to and can't find it any where. I was wondering if there was a website where i could re download the expantion?

Jesse

Hi Jesse, we recommend, and only test with, ATI or nVidia - I have no knowledge of the Intel graphics but in the past they have been poor for games. The new ones are meant to be better but I have no idea if it will work OK to be honest.

If you lost your backup and did not purchase download insurance (which keeps the download available for 2 years!) you'll have to re purchase (just like if you lose a disk).

Av8er, I will soon upgrade my rig a lot, and I'm going for either the NVidea or ZOTAC 460 GTX with 1 GB, ot the ATI 6870 with 1 GB.

You can get each card for around 200,- Euro, and you would have a very high reaching card.

Edited by Olham

I don't mean to sound negative, but I think that hardware is going to really struggle with this sim. Intel onboard graphics have come a long way, but not quite far enough for this kind of thing. Kind of weak in the CPU department as well.

Worth a try, but don't be too disappointed if you end up looking at a bit of a slideshow.

Sincerely hope it works with playable settings for you.

Cheers,

Parky

Alright thanks, I will try to get better graphics card any sudgestions other then what olham has said? And what would i buy for CPU problem?

Jesse

oh then my screwed then because it is a laptop. why am i screwed?

I'm going to add this to uncleal's advice, that not all laptop's are the same. There are definitely some that can be upgraded in the video card department, but you better have all the documentation on the machine to make sure. Most of the newer netbooks are not going to play Over Flanders Fields. Something like the Acer Apsire One with the 1.66 Ghz intel Atom processor and shared video RAM wont do, it's barely enough to play SDOE's mod FS-WWI.

Which by the way might be a good alternative until you can upgrade.

Some of the older high end machines, like HP's Presario with the nVidia cards might do in a pinch, but there are some pretty expensive recent laptops that will play OFF-BHaH easily. Dual core processors and 1+ Gig VRAM discrete video are not the exclusive realm of desktops. But the price is much higher.

Edited by Lewie

oh then my screwed then because it is a laptop. why am i screwed?

I wouldn't say you're "screwed", but upgrading the laptop you have there is probably not an option. There are laptops that are specifically designed with gaming in mind. Those units almost invariably come with a designated graphics card which resides in PCI-e slot on the laptop's motherboard and they also provide additional cooling to prevent overheating. They also typically come with a much better processor than the one you have there. Buying and installing a designated card in this instance probably really isn't an option. If the motherboard on your laptop had an available PCI-e slot, and the card would actually fit inside the enclosure, then you'd probably run into some serious thermal issues. I've replaced a couple of laptop cards that went bad (easy as pie), but never attempted to put one in a laptop that wasn't specifically designed for it. As far as swapping out the processor on your lappy for something faster, that wouldn't be a worthwhile project either. The socket design and BIOS CPU support on the existing board would seriously limit your options even if this was an option. It just wouldn't be a cost effective course of action. Trust me...

Here's a perfect example of a laptop that is specifically built with gaming in mind. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200049

Pay close attention to the pricetag and then the hardware specs that are listed at the bottom of that page. There are far more affordable options when it comes to laptops that you can run games on. Asus as well as even Acer make some decent "gaming" laptops that run quite a bit cheaper. I'm not recommending anyone go out and spend that kind of money on a laptop though. My advice would be to build yourself a tower for gaming. Simple as that. Far more cost effective, better functionality...and far more practical would be just a couple of reasons.

As far as being "screwed" goes.....you're not. You're just extremely limited in terms of available and sensible options.

I think that's what UncleAl probably "meant" to say.......:grin:

On the bright side.....who knows? You may find you can run the game just fine on the system as it sits, but I wouldn't bet my paycheque on it.

Let us know how things work out.

Cheers,

Parky

He asked a legitimate question, and I doubt he'll wan't to go "federal" with it based on my input, but he did deserve a "civil" response. I merely provided one for him. You also have to ask yourself this question: When have you ever known me to be anything less than verbose when answering a technical question? Not necessarily because I have such a wealth of that kind of information waiting to launch itself out of my cranium either. There's a whole bucketload of bulls**t and guesswork trapped in there too. Unlike some though, when I feel the need to purge myself of those kind of cerebral eruptions, I don't do it here when someone is genuinely seeking sound tech advice.

Now....what was it we were talking about?

Cheers,

Parky