Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

No fly Zone over Libya...

Well,based on the recent news in wikipedia, Canada,US,UK, and France had launched sorties againts Libyan Tanks and ground troops. Tomahawk missiles are fired and Libyan airforces are attacked.

The West can call it whatever they want but thats pretty much an act of war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_military_intervention_in_Libya

Of course it's a war. But this war is legal and justified. The only reason the Arab leaders is reluctant is that they fear a domino effect where there own people wants to revolt too

Of course it's a war. But this war is legal and justified. The only reason the Arab leaders is reluctant is that they fear a domino effect where there own people wants to revolt too

yep thats right they are afraid to get a taste of the same medecine

Whether or not we agree with the no fly zone the fact is that gaddafi is brutally killing his own people in order to stay in charge.

If the countries with the ability to do something about it just sit on the side line and watch this happening then they are as guilty as gaddafi himself. I just hope things come to a conclusion before things get any worse.

Mike

ps as a side note I wish all the brave pilots who are enforcing the no fly zone luck, and hope they come back to their countries and families safely.

• Like 2

Whether or not we agree with the no fly zone the fact is that gaddafi is brutally killing his own people in order to stay in charge.

If the countries with the ability to do something about it just sit on the side line and watch this happening then they are as guilty as gaddafi himself. I just hope things come to a conclusion before things get any worse.

Mike

ps as a side note I wish all the brave pilots who are enforcing the no fly zone luck, and hope they come back to their countries and families safely.

Here here! drinks.gif

Exactly the same comment I said to a mate of mine Saturday night... And the Ark Royal is about to be turned into a helipad for the Olympic Games... looks like the Government got their priorities right on that one... :rofl:

It's almost like an episode of the legendary Yes Prime Minister:

Prime Minister David Cameron gets off the phone from the UN

PM: Right that's the no fly zone sorted. I've told them we can get a carrier off the coast of Libya and start launching some raids on the Mad Colonel in the next 24 hours.

Defence Minister: Yes Prime Minister, but we retired HMS Ark Royal last month.

PM: Blast! Forgot about that. OK, then we just fly the Harriers to Bengazi and they can fly from there and support the rebels at the same time.

DM: Of course Prime Minister, but we retired the Harriers too.

PM: Oh, OK. Well we've got those new Typhoons, they can bomb the cr*p out of Gadaffi's forces can't they? No sense in letting the French have all the fun is there?

DM: Yes Prime Minister, but the Typhoon's air to ground capability isn't fully operational yet. They'll have to be used in the air to air role. We'll use Tornados for air to ground work, but you are of course aware that the Tornados are based in Scotland so they'll have a 3,000 mile round trip, costing about £200,000 per aircraft.

PM: Right, OK then, so we double the types of planes we're sending and make the deployment bigger and more complicated and more expensive. Still, never let it be said we couldn't punch above our weight with the best of them. Anyway, at least we've got those new Nimrod spyplanes that'll be able to tell us where the Libyan's have got their forces and where Gadaffi's hiding in case we want to send in the SAS to get him.

DM: Yes Prime Minister, but we scrapped the Nimrod's a few weeks ago.

PM: Well unscrap them. Are they in one of those desert boneyards the Americans are so fond of retiring their aircraft to?

DM: Unfortunately not Prime Minister. We cut them up and turned them into scrap metal. They're probably razor blades or baked bean tins by now. However, we have saved £2 billion over the next ten years by scrapping them.

PM: But they cost us £4 billion already and we've not even flown them! Do you mean to say that we've totally cocked up the Defence Spending Review?

DM: Yes Prime Minister......

• Like 5

rofl.gif Hahahahah! That would be the best episode of Yes Prime Minister ever! Totally epic post! drinks.gif

what was shot down ? F-1 ? Mig-23 ?

Best thing i read last days Allen! uhaha :rofl::lol::grin:

what was shot down ? F-1 ? Mig-23 ?

In the videos you can see a MiG-23 went down.

Edited by Soulfreak

Best thing i read last days Allen! uhaha :rofl::lol::grin:

Same here !!!!!! :grin: Stupid fools.......:heat:

Houdoe,

Derk

[

Funny yes,,,but sadly True

Edited by Veltro2k

Im just saying .... since when do tanks fly?

If you read the UN resolution. You'll see that any means necessary to protect the civilian population of Libya of attacks of Gaddafi forces can be used. Including attack of ground forces

Bummmer a Strike Eagle crashed in Libya. It was mechanical failure and not AA that caused the crash, and both Pilot and Weapons Officer ejected and have been safely rescued.

An American F-15E Strike Eagle had flown from Aviano air base in Italy to Libya when the fighter experienced mechanical problems, the U.S. military command for Africa said in a statement. Both the pilot and the weapons officer ejected and were rescued within hours -- one retrieved by the U.S. military, the other by anti-Gadhafi Libyans.

The aviators, who suffered minor injuries when they landed, were both out of Libya and in U.S. hands, Locklear said.

Damn, I hate it when one of those beatiful birds falls out of the sky.

pic looks kind of old, so I would say for some time now :grin:

post-11906-0-06073000-1300828332.jpg

Edited by Veltro2k

Since the GBUs allowed accurate delivery of 2000 pounders. JDAM/Paveway Propelled Tanks (J/P.P.T.)

Damn I miss that show. This would be over tomorrow if Prime Minister Hacker was in charge!

Maybe I'm just to damn sceptical......but I keep thinking that this is a civil war in Libya.....nothing more and nothing less. The freedom fighters that they keep showing on TV don't look to me like students peacefully protesting in the town square, they look like full blown ex-military militia trying to over throw the Libyan government........now I agree that seeing Ghadafi gone would be a good thing but I really think we are sticking our noses where they don't belong......Again.

However it started, there is no doubt that there are former and current military involved on what is blatantly called "the rebel side".

This is most certainly a civil war, but the two sides are hardly balanced. The main difference is civilians not in the rebels' territory being killed. Sort of like if Sherman had burned Philadelphia because several thousand people there were sympathetic to the South.

BBC are reporting this - but say its unconfirmed:

French warplanes have shot down a Libyan plane in the first incident of its kind since enforcement of the UN no-fly zone began, a US official said.

The incident happened near the besieged western city of Misrata, reports said.

Dozens of coalition missiles have already hit military bases, with the aim of ending Col Muammar Gaddafi's ability to launch air attacks.

UK officials said on Wednesday that Libya's air force no longer existed as a fighting force.

Coalition forces have pounded Libyan targets for a fifth consecutive night.

The French military said their planes had hit an air base about 250km (155 miles) south of the Libyan coastline, in an incident apparently unrelated to the shooting down of the Libyan plane.

French officials did not give any further information on the location of the target or the damage.

One US official quoted by Associated Press news agency said the Libyan plane shot down by France was a G-2/Galeb, a training aircraft with a single engine. The French plane involved was a Rafale fighter, the same US official said.

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12850975

Edited by MigBuster

If confirmed as an air kill (still flying, or just landed?), I think it would be the first one for France since 1945! The country who claimed the first air kill in history had not blasted anything out of the sky for 66 years... But a landing two-seater Galeb to a Rafale with missile, is anything but a glorious victory: just like blowing a sitting duck with an advanced sniper rifle...