Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Libyan Mig shot down over Benghazi

Looks like a bad day at the office for someone... looks like he got out from the BBC Video I have seen of this...

I saw it on the news (Ch7) here around 6pm WST.

That pics is large enough to pick out the fact that there's no one left in it.

There's no doubt that a LAF Flogger but on which side?

If that's a Pro-Col. Plane why did an interceptor fly so low to get hit by AAA or MANPADs

Edited by Karyovin

Rebel's tally so far:

1 Su-24 Fencer

1 MiG-21 Fishbed

1 MIG-23 Flogger

Khaddafi's LAF aditional losses:

1 Su-22 Fitter which the crew bailed-out

2 Mirage F-1 which the crew defected to Malta

Khaddafi's tally so far:

1 Lynx naval helo from Dutch navy (impounded)

Rebel's "Losses" so far:

1 Mi-24 Hind destroyed in the ground

some civilian planes destroyed in the ground

"Luckily" the flogger driver bailed-out from the plane:

LIBIA%2BMIG-23%2BDERRIBADO%2BBENGASI%2B18-03-2011%2B3.jpg

but fell in benghazi and no so far from the huge fireball of his mount

LIBIA%2BMIG-23%2BBENGASI%2B5.jpg

France is over Libya now flying MIGCAP.........

I hope they get to see some action!!!!!

GO France GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I wonder what equipment they are using?

Mir-2000's or Rafales with A/R Support and the obvious AWACs backup?

They must be desperate if they think launching that bird will help the situation but thinking the Col. would leave his forces defenceless against air attack is a bit naive.

Now with the rebels launching planes it's gonna make it harder for NATO planes to engage BVR (the ROE they are probably under will make that impossible) with the possibilty of blue-on-blue.

The F-14A's TVS would be useful about now if the rebels have marked their planes.

Edited by Karyovin

The photo shows that the pilots ejected...

MiGs have reliable means of escape

The photo shows that the pilots ejected...

MiGs have reliable means of escape

That's true I hope his injuries aren't too serious that he can't get out of Dodge if things detriorate further.

Edited by Karyovin

They must be desperate if they think launching that bird will help the situation but thinking the Col. would leave his forces defenceless against air attack is a bit naive.

Good point...

Looking at the photos it looks like a MiG-23BN (I wonder what model their second aircraft is) that got shot down.That nose profile is hard not to spot.

Other reports say they used the planes to attack a warship.

Well if you needed to take some T-72's out I guess that's better than nothing.

Video Report w/photos: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12794589

The rebels must be thankful they don't have to worry about the "Blinders"

Edited by Karyovin

Ignoring the posts above for the thread's sake.

Apart from the ZPU's/ZU's,SA-7/14's and SA-2/3's what else does the LAAF have that can shoot down aircraft.

From recollection the S-200 sites they had got nailed by Hornets in El Dorado Canyon.

An SA-3 would be only thing I can see shooting down that Flogger apart from the mobile/portable stuff they must have arrayed around there.

Edited by Karyovin

18:59 BBC BREAKING NEWS The French Defence Ministry has announced that a French fighter jet has fired its first shot at a military vehicle at 16:45 GMT. The French Defence Ministry has also stated that 20 fighter jets are currently involved in operations to enforce the no-fly zone. France will send an aircraft carrier to Libya, the French defence ministry has told AFP.

from here

http://www.libyafeb17.com/

Hurrahh

Edited by cocas

Ignoring the posts above for the thread's sake.

Apart from the ZPU's/ZU's,SA-7/14's and SA-2/3's what else does the LAAF have that can shoot down aircraft.

From recollection the S-200 sites they had got nailed by Hornets in El Dorado Canyon.

An SA-3 would be only thing I can see shooting down that Flogger apart from the mobile/portable stuff they must have arrayed around there.

SA-6 and SA-8s. There probably are some SA-5s left though.

18:59 BBC BREAKING NEWS The French Defence Ministry has announced that a French fighter jet has fired its first shot at a military vehicle at 16:45 GMT. The French Defence Ministry has also stated that 20 fighter jets are currently involved in operations to enforce the no-fly zone. France will send an aircraft carrier to Libya' date=' the French defence ministry has told AFP.

from here My http://www.libyafeb17.com/link[/url

Hurrahh

Great job, France!

I'm surprised APACHE missiles haven't started impacted the airfields confirmed to be in the hands of Qaddafi since this has now started for real.

If they starting to attack Libyan Army units outside of Benghazi that means that the Rafale's are armed for Multi-role work (AASM's?).

SA-6 and SA-8s hmm, they could be a problem if they keep them mobile and follow the Serbs example of ambush tactics (ALARM's should work well for those.)

Edited by Karyovin

Last time, you want to talk about the politics of this no fly zone, start a thread in the Arena....don't bring it up here. I don't care whose side you're on....NO POLITICS in this thread.....

To answer the Question about AWAC support, we (RAF) have had up to 3 E3D Sentry's stationed in Cyprus with tanker support for a while now, scoping out movements in Lybia and aiding the evacuation/SF assests.

Not to mention the sneaky Nimrod R1 and possible Sentinel R1 support.

Aircraft carrier Charles Degaulle is going to sail tomorrow towards Libya

12940.jpg

Edited by Nix

19:41 Al Jazeera quotes sources saying French War planes have destroyed 4 tanks south west of Benghazi

latest update

Thanks Dave,

Although I think this topic is starting to reach it's expiry date since we're starting to talk about the ops in Libya proper instead of the MiG-23BN

19:41 Al Jazeera quotes sources saying French War planes have destroyed 4 tanks south west of Benghazi

latest update

They weren't kidding when they said French warplanes would be the first to start airstrikes against Pro-Gaddafi forces.

Once again I'm curious to what they are using (LGB's/AASM's?) since they seem to be overkill for just tanks and cluster munitions have been banned.

To answer the Question about AWAC support, we (RAF) have had up to 3 E3D Sentry's stationed in Cyprus with tanker support for a while now, scoping out movements in Lybia and aiding the evacuation/SF assests.

Not to mention the sneaky Nimrod R1 and possible Sentinel R1 support.

*facepalm*

Of Course, I should of remembered that from article talking to one of the C-130K pilots that was getting people out like you said.

Edited by Karyovin

How stupid do you have to be to fly a MiG-23 over Libya this weekend no matter whoes side you are on?:good:

• Like 1