Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Plastic Kit Modelling

I used to enjoy making the Airfix / Revell models when I was younger...and am thinking of taking it up again...Starting with WW1 aircraft.

I am seriously out of touch these days...so are there any modellers out there, who can point me at some good WW1 plastic Kits please?

Many Thanks

i've gotten away from plastic kit myself the last few years (easier to take a laptop and SF2 series with on deployment dontcha know) but i would look into Academy maybe Hasegawa, and go online to look into the dearth of Eastern European start ups that do everything from current Vipers to obscure what-ifs. get yourself a copy of international aircraft modeler( i think its called) should be easy for you as its printed on your side of the pond. that will give you much more info.

For a starter, try the 1/48 Eduard models, good detail but relatively simple to do, well, if an WWI airplane can be simple. There's the old Revell 1/72 series of course, got them all, pretty good small models, but they show their age of course. The best of the best is of course the 1/32 Wingnuts and Wings models, amazing detail, big and really only for experienced modelers. If I'm allowed to give some advice, start small and simple and build your way up. Of course, craftsmanship is different from one person to the other but WWI models have their own special problems, like alignment and cables.

There are two companies I would recommend - it depends on the money you would spend.

But you should consider building those in scale 1:32 - you get just more detail.

The cheaper are the models from RODEN - see here:

http://www.roden.eu/...framemodels.htm

The high-end class models would be those of Wingnut Wings, New Zealand - see here:

http://www.wingnutwi...ww/modelkitsets

Edited by Olham

I've been thinking about getting a 1:48 Sopwith Triplane based on the one I used in the DiD Campaign in RNAS-1 (with the custom skin), but I'm working on a Spitfire Mk.IIb at the moment, which is my crate of choice in WW2OL.

Only made one model thus far since I started making models again (after about five years or so) which is a Douglas Boston III in the WW2OL style:

Boston Picture 1

Boston Picture 2

Boston Picture 3

You might notice the 'Northern Whirlwind' nose art, which was first designed back in the happy DiD days of late 1916, when my observer and I were flying around in a Sopwith Strutter - how time flies. :grin:

And the in game Aircraft my model was based on:

WW2OL Havoc

The 1:48 scale seems still too small for making a believeable wiring - even silk thread apears too thick.

On the other hand - there may be no Tripe in 1:32.

Thanks Guys...good advice all round

Olham..yes, Roden might be a good place to start...I don't want to spend a load of Cash on a super model...only to discover the reason I stopped last time was because I have no talent whatsoever!..hahaha

Will buy a smaller, cheapish aircraft, and see how things progress from there :good:

Yep, I'd go for the same way. "Wingnut Wings" models would come later, when I got better - or never. :grin:

Couldn't resist - these are customer/modeller-built 1:32 kits from WingnutWings. Enjoy!

When I was much younger I used to build models. I was never very good at it, and after seeing what real pros could do, I sort of gave up on that hobby.

Man, assembling all those cables the WW1 crates have would drive me nuts! :grin:

The Wingnut 'arry Tate is a stunning bit of work, isn't it.

It's been years since my last plastic scale model, When my wife and I were dating we'd sometimes buy a couple of Revell 1/48 kits and build them together.

Since I fly RC models and I like scale balsa stick and heat shrink film WWI and Pre WWI models, I've done a few scratchbuilds and a couple of Peter Rake's balsa plan builds.

Here's Peter's website..Peter Rake, Doyen of Scale Models His kits are laser cut by a company in New Mexico called Manzano Laser Works Manzano Laser Works.

Check both of the link's sidebar menus for the extensive list of model plans and models they have.

I think I have a couple images of one of my planes, an AVRO 511 Arrowscout built from Peters Plans.

post-65486-0-19264800-1300989401.jpg

post-65486-0-21850400-1300989413.jpg

post-65486-0-58978200-1300989440.jpg

I've built WW1 models since the 60's.However the 60's plastic kits are worth some coin now. The quality is much better these days. Start cheap and find out your tolerance for dealing with the frustration that biplanes and such can create.Besides ruining a cheap model doesn't hurt nearly as much.

It also offers you to experiment with different techniques to do the rigging. Never ever have I used thread of any sort. Strictly old school, heat and stretch the plastic spure, you can strech it so it is almost invisible, but takes some trial and error. You can also use telephone cable, pull the individual wires apart strip the insulation( time consuming) and generally there are a few wires wrapped together seperate and use. Thread of any sort I have always found to be to coarse.

Personally if you want larger scale stuff go the balsa route, a nice lesson in patience and frustration LOL.

It's been years since my last plastic scale model, When my wife and I were dating we'd sometimes buy a couple of Revell 1/48 kits and build them together.

That's lovely!...the couple that play together, stay together!...thats made my day! :drinks:

A very belated thought here, WM, but have you ever thought about wood kits?

Like this for eg.they allow you to put even more detail in :grin:

I have been building& flying RC airplanes for years and have met many wonderful people around the world. In the last 20 years I have building the larger scale airplane, 6 to 7 ft wing span for biplanes and 9 to 11 ft. span for monoplanes, all powered with gasoline engines. I now build only WW I 1/4 scale airplanes such as the Fokker D VII, Sopwith Pup, Fokker Eindecker and a SPAD XII. Because of their size adding scale detail work is much easier and more visible. The best web site that deals in scale model building is http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/ you can follow some of their build along thread from start to maiden flight. There are some truly magnificent scale builders who produce perfect scale flying airplanes. Like this site, people from all around the world use this site to display their work and are quick to offer advise. Some of the WW I models kits are from the topics BALSA USA, Scratch Built and Other Designs. These threads are an interesting read. Also, you can check out some of my planes and construction at our club web site http://okbarnstormers.com/. This is a great hobby!

Rich