Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT: IL-2:Cliffs of Dover released in Russia

1C, the Dev for IL-2:CoD is blaming lack of SLI support and very low framerates on an epilepsi filter they say Ubisoft required them to put into the game. For it's part, Ubisoft says 1C was made aware of the filter requirement over a year ago and none of its other games, including Hawx 2, suffer from these performance issues. Russian players who bought the game are posting videos that often dip to 10FPS and below, even when over water or looking at the sky with just a few planes. I sincerely hope they get it straightened out before the European and North American release dates. For now, it appears to be in the hands of 1C to come up with something fast before the game review sites massacre it in print.

Ashame really. I had high hopes once I read all of the features it was supposed to include.

Hellshade

I wouldn't give up hope Hellshade. Sims like this often have troubled beginnings and then blossom as they are patched and modded, and CoD has a gorgeous engine made by one of the best in the business as you well know.

I remember when Rowan's Battle of Britain was released in '00. Oh man, it was a bug ridden mess and was TRASHED critically and sold like nothing. Rowan had to close over it. But it was patched up, BDG got to work on it, by the time I played it in '01 it was the best damn sim I'd played up until then and it and its sequels are to this day the best sims you can get about the Battle of Britain.

Hell, now that I think about it even Red Baron 3D had to get through the mess that was the Red Baron 2 initial release before it became the amazing spiritual predecessor to Flanders Fields.

Yes it's a shame CoD is having issues, but I'm confident they'll be worked out and it'll be an amazing sim drinks.gif

Edited by Javito1986

And here is the reason, folks, you should never buy on release.

Well, it seems to be the norm nowadays with such games, you only buy a beta! I became a lot more careful before buying, after the fiascos of Silent Hunter mostly, but also from games I thankfully didn't bought, although I wanted to, like Mafia 2. I always read the Forums first, for a month or so, and see what other players say about it. If the issues aren't solved in a month, then I forget about the game. I will be aware of it again when I see it with discount somewhere, like Olham found the Fallout 3! I found out that, if you wait for 2-3 years once, then you start getting a continuous flow of games again, only discounted! I've done that, I know!

Most vanilla sims are pretty rank tbh...FSX and FS9 out of the box are pretty basic...but mod them up..and FSX is the best flightsim there is

Oh, how I agree with you Widowmaker on that! FSX at the moment is the very best non combat sim for me too, good framerates, HD landscapes and environment, complicated aircrafts, just wonderful!

I pray constantly that Over Flanders Fields should never suffer the great misfortune as to find itself with a Publisher. :tongue:

Big and greedy publishers (like EA and Ubisoft) are ruining all quality and creativity in games, because all they care about is maximizing profits and pleasing the shareholders.

Captialism works that way. I replaced a oil pan drain plug ( a large bolt and washer) in the wifes Honda. They pay 3 cents for it to be made. I pay eight dollars for it. they control price and product.

If I would have asked why so much money for a different size bolt, they would have said ( and I have heard it before) " Its just business ".

i

t

Agree about FSX. A lot of flight sims have issues on launch, in fact I'd argue flight sims as a genre are prone to having buggy vanilla releases. It's the complexity you see, doesn't match up well with publisher harassment. I'll keep my eye on Cliffs of Dover, I'm sure it'll be fixed up and turn out great.

Big and greedy publishers (like EA and Ubisoft) are ruining all quality and creativity in games, because all they care about is maximizing profits and pleasing the shareholders.

And here is the reason, folks, you should never buy on release.

Same with Shogun 2 Total War, I'm afraid........

As I've said before, publishers and retailers both have special places in Hell awaiting them, for destroying the PC game industry.

Problem is, only by going with publishers can indy devs get products to market, because otherwise they'll never sell enough copies to get retail shelf space. And if they go without the publisher and self-publish, they cut their margin to the bone and perhaps beyond going with DVDs, or alienate their customers who have knee-jerk reactions to DRMs on download-only products. So devs are screwed either way.

I know it's OT but I'm curious what your beef with Shogun 2 is? I didn't buy it, though I played the demo and wasn't overly impressed as it struck me as being Napoleon with katanas.

Problem is, only by going with publishers can indy devs get products to market, because otherwise they'll never sell enough copies to get retail shelf space. And if they go without the publisher and self-publish, they cut their margin to the bone and perhaps beyond going with DVDs, or alienate their customers who have knee-jerk reactions to DRMs on download-only products. So devs are screwed either way.

The future will be downloadable only products. Forget the retail.

Well, ironically one of the few advantages that OBD Software has as a developer, despite being under staffed and under funded, is that they have the integrity and ability to only release a sim when it ready for prime time. They are not tied to a Publisher for a completion date where they have to ship by then, no matter what stage of completion the game is in. They don't have investors howling for returns. I know they must go through their own hell with everything people want and what few resources they have to make it happen, but the beauty is when they finally do release something you know it's going to be a working product that is heavily polished. Thats the advantage of releasing games out of passion instead of purely for profit.

Hellshade

OFF is a work of art though, it's different from your every day Halo. It's easy to be passionate about this subject, many people are. There are people passionate about World War 1 who write books about it, or make a movie, make fine aviation art, which is all valid and brilliant. Over Flanders Fields is the same, only it uses a new medium. Underneath the thousands of lines of code, the 3D models, the algorithms that define the course of the war there's an underlying message in OFF, there's a statement about the WW1 air war that is being made by the creators that goes wholly unsaid but I think everyone here can feel it.

I'm holding fire on Shogun..until I see the Mods!...Japanese stuff like this is of no interest to me personally...but with things like The Blue and the Grey for Empire..and the fantastic Zulu mod for Napoleon TW...It may sway me sometime in the future

I know it's OT but I'm curious what your beef with Shogun 2 is?

I'm one of the thousands of people who gets a BSOD upon launching the game.

It seems there's a way around the epilepsy filter.

If you add a line in the config.ini file it will boost 10fps.

antiepilepsy = 0

They are also working in a patch which will give an extra 10.