Sign in to follow this  
gunz

Buy and download?

Hello, I'm wondering why there is no buy and download option ? Only shipping on DVD , i would buy OFF but the shipping and DVD puts me off.

I'd buy OFF and HiTR which is downloadable but it's not so with OFF.

Edited by gunz

Gunz, welcome to the OFF Forum.

As far as I know, the devs do not make their sim a download for the reason

UncleAl has already mentioned: piracy.

I can only say this to you: if you are REALLY into WW1 air combat, you should order the DVD.

The OFF Campaign is by far the most immersive flight sim I have ever played flown.

I cancelled "played" - this is so serious; it is NOT a game.

It is hard (if you don't set it up easy), it is challenging, it is a converter: it converts you

into a young pilot in his early 20s, back in the years 1915-1918.

If you are really into WW1 air combat - you'll find it all here.

Your decision.

Edited by Olham

Why not read some of the 'Reports from the Front' posts? Olham, TallyHo, Carick, and myself all been updating our campaigns there recently. And look on this forum for RAF Louvert's Paul Blum ongoing campaign log. That'll give you a feel of what Flanders Fields is like.

Edited by Javito1986

One more question, i saw that phase 4 is in the works.

Will you have to pay for phase 4 if you already have phase 3 ?

Yes, I fully expect you will need to pay for P4, but P3 is still worth the money. There might be quite a wait for P4.

Why is it worth it? Well, it's an excellent piece of software for one thing, but also, if you're new to combat flight sims, you're probably going to die, a lot, and may get frustrated. Sooner you start, sooner you learn, sooner you learn, more you survive, and the more you'll enjoy P4 when it does come out.

With regards to downloadable distribution, speak to the developers. It's their call 100%, but bear in mind OFF is a 'cottage industry' if you like. I don't mean amateurish in any way, far from it, but just it isn't a multi national corporation you're dealing with. These guys are flesh and blood and have feelings. If they want to distribute their product in any way they like, then I for one respect their choice and right to do so.

And last of all, if you get a DVD sent, Olham knows where you live and will put you on his map. (Just kidding, - he won't unless you want him too :grin: ).

Flyby, I am neither working for the CIA, nor for AVANGATE, so I would NOT know, where anyone lives, only because he ordered the DVD.

Gunz, the delivery of the DVD may take two weeks; depends on where you live.

After all I have seen and read so far, I do not expect P4 to come out before Christmas - rather even later.

P3 with the "Hat in the Ring" extension is - for my oppinion - definitely worth getting anyway,

cause it would allow me to fly the sim for about a year, before P4 would be released.

P4 will be a standalone, new version with improvements and new planes.

So it will be a new buy.

But if you see, what P3 costs right now, it is ridiculously little for what you get.

Just save some money by not going to cinema or Pizza Hut, and there you are.

I just realise, that I must sound like one of OBD's merchandising crew (which they don't have):

hey, devs - what about some percentage?! Devs??

gunz, you'll be doing a great disservice to yourself if you don't buy OFF because you don't like the DVD format. It's simply the best WW1 flight sim currently. And P4 will be a completely different beast, so it will be sold separately. :drinks:

Not that i don't like DVDs, i just have bad experiences with shipping in my country - and add to that shipping from different country needs to be added also...

I'm sure if OFF was pay & download it would sell alot more, just my 5 cents.

Edited by gunz

We had a long pro and contra discussion here about this, some time ago.

In the end, it is the developers' decision to do it, or not. And they don't.

We have three guys who received it in Greece, and one in Russia.

May I ask where you live?

Just my 2 cents, I agree with my fellow forum members about OFF and the developers. There are a number of reasons to buy most have already been memtioned. One reason I took into consideration was that the developers are active in the the game to add to the quality of the game. A second reason is the Forum members advice ,well wishs, and their Mods to the game. On another subect, P-4 is still down the road and you would me missing out on an great game.

Here's my two cents gunz old boy:

I had OFF shipped to me, I honestly don't remember how long it took. Wasn't instantaneous, I live in the States though and it didn't take longer than two weeks. Might have even been one. Two weeks seems to be the average, but this is a varied and geographically diverse community so nobody can really speak for anyone else about the shipping times. Once it got here (I do remember it arriving sooner than I expected it to) I already had the patches and HitR expansion downloaded and ready to go and had an amazing time.

I'm an old school Red Baron 3D player, I grew up on Fokker Dr.I and SE5 duels while my school chums were playing spin the bottle at house parties. I picked up Flanders Fields about a year ago for two reasons:

1) I was disappointed with IL-2 and Rise of Flight. Excellent flight models but 'empty' as far as the experience goes. They weren't satisfying me like certain sims I played when I was younger.

2) I was looking to catch up on the latest modifications to Red Baron 3D when I learned that OFF is the spiritual successor to that sim. Hence it was a rather easy choice.

Haven't once been disappointed, at all. In the last year I've had several short lived careers, but two long-running campaigns, one as an American commanding a fighter squadron during the Hundred Days, and another as a rookie RFC pilot who joins 56 squadron at its formation and flies brand new SE5as with such titans as Albert Ball and Rhys Davids.

Death is swift, merciless, permanent, and seemingly inevitable. I really thought my American had a good shot at surviving the entire war, but he was finally killed some two weeks before the armistice. It really hits you when this happens because often you spend weeks (and months now in the case of my RFC pilot) with these fellows.

If anything it's better than RB3D, far more advanced. RB3D didn't have the juice to model the entire damn war like OFF does.

There's definitely a learning curve, which consists of dying over and over and over again. When I first started I had a hell of a time hitting anything, frequently came home thinking I'd landed strong hits on a plane and wondering why it hadn't gone down only to see in my (optional) statistics page that only one out of 500 bullets had actually hit something. I even made posts here complaining that I'd unloaded my entire magazine into an Albatros and he hadn't so much as blinked! Once I turned on the player statistics and saw I had a gun accuracy of 2% I realized what the problem was :-p

A year later and I'm much better in general. I am for the pilot and engine area, gun accuracy averages 20% and I can and have executed some gorgeous diving attacks that have made a mess out of a DFW's engine in one solid burst, and I've learned to fly the SE5 and Sopwith Camel with some finesse. Reality is though I'll have to start all over again if I want to learn to fly the Fokker Dr.I or some such, but that's part of the fun for me.

Edited by Javito1986

Is the warp button working , or is there a time compression? Because i tried phase 1 a few years ago and couldn't warp back then.

Is the warp button working , or is there a time compression? Because i tried phase 1 a few years ago and couldn't warp back then.

Welcome aboard, Gunz! New guy buys the drinks :drinks: .

Anyway, yup, there is time compression. However, it has several bad traits that limit its usefulness. The worst of these is that while using it, your plane only gains altitude at waypoints, so it's like going up a flight of stairs instead of a ramp. Thus, if you get attacked prior to reaching your full mission height, you'll probably be much lower than if you'd flown the whole way in real time. This is often rather disadvantageous for you. But OTOH, if you fly something like a Fee that doesn't climb very well, it really doesn't make much difference :grin:

for future reference:

When i type in my info in the order form, should i write my info ( city etc) in my national language or English ?

Edited by gunz

Well, I would write the country at least in English, so that the parcel gets there.

The town and street should perhaps better be in your language, cause your postal service must read it.

Just my opinion.

Another question:

What is the install order of OFF + HiTR and patches? want to have everything ready ;)

Edited by gunz