Sign in to follow this  
Javito1986

OT: What ever happened to all those RB3D mods?

I mentioned a few months back that I bought RB3D from Good Old Games, thinking of giving it an install for nostalgia sake. Full Canvas Jacket doesn't seem to be available anymore, what happened to it?

I'm pretty sure FCJ went "out of business". I'm not sure you can get a legal copy these days. The link to the FCJ website is dead.

Hell's Angels (which is what I use) is available here http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/main.htm

Here's another site I stumbled upon http://acepage.beckament.net/rb3d.html

Good hunting!

I went the same route..but cannot get hells angels to work...all the graphics are up the creek

The computer I use to display my flying maps for OFF is, in fact, my old RB3D flying computer. It is all in there, ready to go, but the last time I fired up the sim it just made me feel a bit sad for the old girl. Despite all the innovations and add-ons done to her over the years, she has not aged well when seen in today's light. I have many fond memories of her, and they are best kept as that...memories.

Good place to start:

http://wwiaircombat.com/games/red-baron-3d/

Some of the links are dead, but you'll be able to find many of the 'choice" mods. FCJ was ok. What you really want is the FCJ gui or Reload.

HASP and Western Front 2 and the Jastas are the best addons IMHO.

plug_nickel

I still have my Full Canvas Jacket disc, the retail one Kess sold back in '04. Of the three mods available at that time, I liked the Western Front Patch the best, it was the least buggy and had a better campaign. But Western Front Patch 2 ended up with most of Kess's stunning skins and graphics, it was a shame that Kess didn't have more success with his patch, I liked the FM better, it was pretty difficult, and demanding.

Never could figure out why my VooDoo 4500 card wouldn't run it in Glide, I had all of the newest drivers for it.

If someone wants my FCJ disc I'm willing to do a trade..

The computer I use to display my flying maps for OFF is, in fact, my old RB3D flying computer. It is all in there, ready to go, but the last time I fired up the sim it just made me feel a bit sad for the old girl. Despite all the innovations and add-ons done to her over the years, she has not aged well when seen in today's light. I have many fond memories of her, and they are best kept as that...memories.

I hear you Lou, but hell, RB3D is the entire reason I'm here today. That game lit my imagination on fire when I was 12 years old. Last night I was reading Rickenbacker's memoir Fighting the Flying Circus on the Kindle and remembering that I had in fact already read it some 12 years ago, owing to the interest RB3D sparked. I'll give her an install later on today and take her out for a spin, she's an honorable little girl.

Louvert -

>>but the last time I fired up the sim it just made me feel a bit sad for the old girl. Despite all the innovations and add-ons done to her over the years, she has not aged well when seen in today's light. <<

I had the same experience a while back.

Lewie - >> I liked the FM better, it was pretty difficult, and demanding.<<

I did the FM for Kess when he released FCJ. It's nice to read that someone still recalls it after all this time..LOL ..It took me about two years of "blind RB parameter breaking", along with several others who were trying to improve the RB3D FM and DM, to get to what I thought was representative of the performance parameters of these old a/c. There were many many improved varieties of the RB3 FM as the years went by. In the end I believe 'Greybeard' made great strides with the FM..and may still now. I haven't visited RB forums etc. for years. OFF is my WW1 aviation focus.

Javito- I found the files unzipped .exe's and ini's for FCJ and Reload in an old RB3d folder. Don't know if they can be used and installed as they are unzipped, but I'll email them to you if you PM your email. You can give them a try.

Royce