Sign in to follow this  
MeisterFuchs

How to shoot AGM 78 b standard ARM in Wings Over Vietnam

Greetings pilots!!

I´ve tested every weapon available in WoV, but I still can´t figure out how to succesfully aim and shoot the AGM 78 b standard ARM, to take out the Fan Song and Bar Lock Radars in order to neutralize the SAM batteries. I have no problems killing radars with the reliable Shrikes, but the AGM 78 has apparently no firing protocol, no radar lock and when I fire one of those AGM, the missile just climbs, and then drops to the ground. I´m using the A7 Corsair in one of the latest Linebaker II Campaigns. Thanks in advance for your answers!!

us_agm78b_02.jpg

Regards,

MF.

You need to use the RWR. Point the aircraft at an emitting radar and fire. Best to wait for them to start tracking you, or actually fire on you.

By the way, even though I am suggesting that you allow people to shoot at you, I am perfectly sane.

By the way, even though I am suggesting that you allow people to shoot at you, I am perfectly sane.

Beeing shot at IS the goal of actual Wild Weasel missions. The "weasel" flies forward with ECM turned off, gets tracked and shot at, forcing the enemy to turn on his radars. The weasel's wingman follows him a few miles back and shoots ARMs at those SAMS and radars. Although it sounds like a suicide mission, it's very efficient.

You can rely on your AI wingman for that. You just have to tell him to cover you when approaching the SAM site, he'll fire his ARMs as soon as you'll get locked on.

Provided you are lined up with the RHAW you should have no problem hitting a radar with the Standard. In tests on the range, it is pretty routine to score from 70 miles out provided one raises the nose at a proper launch angle to allow the seeker to home in once the missle is dropping down on a ballistic flight path.

In actual action, the furtherest kill i've ever scored was about 36 miles.

• Like 1

Thanks Pilots for your answers!! I´ve tested the Standard again, with the same error, so I will shoot them from 30 NM to ensure that they´ll work like Lt. James Cater says. It was easyer to shoot Shrikes, but I would like to see the Standard performance, as I knew that it was better.

Regards,

MF.

Thanks Pilots for your answers!! I´ve tested the Standard again, with the same error, so I will shoot them from 30 NM to ensure that they´ll work like Lt. James Cater says. It was easyer to shoot Shrikes, but I would like to see the Standard performance, as I knew that it was better.

Regards,

MF.

One thing i'd advise with a Shrike is altitude.

Yesterday, i went to the Range and set up an A-7 with Shrike Bs. I flew towards the target at 20,000ft until the radar showed on the RHAW, then reversed course. At 55 miles out i pulled back towards the target, lined it up on the scope and at 50 miles range pulled the nose up about 20 degrees and fired.

Direct hit!

What i've been tryng to do for the longest time is see if i can find the right altitude, airspeed, and pitch up angle to hit with a Shrike from 70 miles out. With a Standard, 70 mile hits are rather routine, as i said above. In a little while i'll head back out to the Range and see how far i can better that as well as logging the firing info.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

Tried some shots on the Range and after a few attempts, made a kill at a range of 80 miles. Aircraft used was an A-7A at 20,000ft. Ground speed 491kts before the pull up.

• Like 1

Tried some shots on the Range and after a few attempts, made a kill at a range of 80 miles. Aircraft used was an A-7A at 20,000ft. Ground speed 491kts before the pull up.

Excellent!! I will try again then, following your advices.

Thanks a lot!!

MF.

Forgot to mention the pitch up angle, which was about 30-35 degrees. Nose was raised at 81 miles and launch altitude was 21,500+ IIRC.

Also tried making some shots from 90 miles but something seems to be preventing taht. The missle will only climb so far before abruptly leveling off and going no further tha 35 miles at the most.

Experimenting with long range Shrikes will be more difficult since it doesn't have as much thrust. It'll need to be launched at higher speeds and altitudes to get it on a flight path that will allow it to come down on an angle that will be needed to reach the target.

http://combatace.com/gallery/image/19350-img00779/

http://combatace.com/gallery/image/19351-img00781/\

Success!

Got a Shrike hit from 70 miles!

Went up in an A7A again armed with 4 Shrike Bs and engaged in the same manner as with the Standard ARM. The first missle was woefully short but the second flew well and homed in for a near miss just about 50 meters short of the target. The third overshot and so everything was set for the final Shrike, which was a direct hit! The key is in the pitch up angle and smoothly getting the nose up so as not to abruptly bleed off speed that is crucial to the launch.

I'll go back to the Range over the next few days and see if i can consistently repeat the shot. If so, i'll make sure to take screenshots of the instrument panel to show the proper angles.

• Like 1

Outstanding!! Thanks for your complete replies and testing. I´ll do some test myself, to share more experience and interesting data.

Greetings,

MF.

When I went to the National USAF Museum, the Wild Weasel exhibit made it seem as though the SAM radar detector was mounted upside down. (The aircraft's nose pointed toward the bottom.) Is this true?