Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

SF2V/XP Gold - F-4B with NL and NAVY script on wings

Hi

My F-4B_67 (VF-111 repaint by Sundowner. Only that one? At least I saw it there) shows the "NL" script on the upper surface starboard wing and "NAVY" on the lower surface port wing.

How can I remove those scripts from the otherwise EXCEPTIONALLY BEAUTIFUL aircraft?

I must say, I'm an absolute greenhorn when it comes to (re-)skinning...

Thanks for your advice.

post-52148-0-71448000-1301467596.jpg

assuming they're painted on the skin bmps, only by RE-painting the skin bmps, and removing them. (and why would you want to, as that's a stock USN marking -NAVY, ... and the NL for that CVW)

Ant's F-4B templates (SF2) are in the downloads section. Start learing to work with layers .. and really, it's not that hard!

wrench

kevin stein

...as that's a stock USN marking -NAVY, ... and the NL for that CVW...

Hum, ARE they? "NL" on the fin and "NAVY" on the fuselage are no-brainers, but I never saw those scripts on the wings. Neither on photos, nore in model-building..... :dntknw:

standard markings depending on the timeframe... going back to 1945(ish) CVW letter carried on upper left/lower right wing and tail fin. Check the Squad/Signal USN Carrier Air Units books (#6160, 6161, 6162)

However, you're right about the NAVY tag -- s/b only on fues sides, not the wings, as that would be the CVW/Modex location. Looks like it's time to break out that template!!!

(oddly, post-WW2 and during Korea, the service name was sometimes carried by both USN and USMC squadrons on the wings, with the Modex number. more odd stuff, eh?? You'd think there'd be a T.O. for that!!!)

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for your reply and clarification. I might nosedive into the aircraft's template and see if I might tackle that NAVY tag... If not, it's not THAT much of a hassle - Sundowner's F-4 skin is just too good to let this detail drag too much......:drinks:

Blimey, cant believe nobody has picked up on this before. I must of been having a "senior moment", sorry. :blink:

I was thinking that too .. Ant would never make a mistake like that on his beloved Rhinos!! :rofl:

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench
oppsy!!

Blimey, cant believe nobody has picked up on this before. I must of been having a "senior moment", sorry. :blink:

No sorries - as said: I LOVE your F-4 skins. Especially the "Sundowners"!

Hum, any chance maybe that you will dig into that and take the tags off? :drinks: I figure that would be a lot faster than if I tried that out......... :dntknw:

After Wrench's reply above, I am having second thoughts, whether I understood Sundowner correctly... Now, are the tags accurate or not? :dntknw:

After Wrench's reply above, I am having second thoughts, whether I understood Sundowner correctly... Now, are the tags accurate or not? :dntknw:

No I dont think they are and I didnt catch it either. I would do this....grab his F-4B temps from the download section and you can fix it easily.

you'll be concerned with the _2.bmp and 3_bmp (or PSD as the case may be). Those are the 2 wing skins/templates

easiest way to do it; resize teh original skin as needed to match the psd size, copy/paste it in as a new layer (UNDER all the panel, rivet lines, and other details), create ANOTHER new layer directly over the original skin, and just paint over the NAVY section of the wing on this new layer, keeping all the little details intact.

Flatten, save as bmp, drop into skin folder

wrench

kevin stein

Try these...

GRRREEEAAAT! Thanks, Dave... :drinks:

Over the WE (yesterday) I dove into the files but found the tags too complicated to remove myself... So, your work is frickin' cool and utmost appreciated! Looking forward to applying them this evening...:clapping:

Exchanged the .bmp's yesterday and they absolutely do the trick. Big THANK YOU again! :good:

so, how about some screenies??? :grin:

(VF-111 is my favorite Navy Phantom skin, too!)

wrench

kevin stein

Roger that - will come asap... After the weekend the lastest.

I guess you took notice of my pimped Sundowner-bonedomes (yellow bucket with red outlined white "Omar") on Screenshots page 164, I guess?