Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

A cry for help, even though I don't recognise it

Thought I would try and be objective, and fire up the 'unmentionable' Simulator...only to discover that it runs like sh*t on my system...so thought I would search around for a fix, for my Dual Core Windows7 machine...and discovered this:.....

Q: I’m running Windows 7 and I'm experiencing a lot of stuttering (graphics / sound / input)!

A: We are sorry about that but it is not our fault. Win7 have new CPU-thread management politics which is causing much problems for high-loaded multi-thread applications (like RoF) on 2-core systems. We have some attempts to contact with Microsoft - it was useless. So unfortunally we can't do anything here.

4-core systems have no such problems with Win7.

Very helpful........NOT!...so, it's Microsoft's fault is it?....that every single game I own (including FSX is maxed out and runs fine!)

Useless pile of crap!...if anyone wants my copy, and is prepared to pay postage...it's yours!...and bloody good luck to you!!!!!!!!

Okay, now you have eased your mind, but you know the rules: no sim bashing here.

So pleeeeease, conduct yourself - I don't want to see you banned from here, Widow!

I'd really miss the chat and banter, old chap!

:drinks:

Widowmaker, try right clicking the exe and then disabling desktop composition from the compatibility settings. That should do the trick. Vista and Win 7 are known to have these problems with some programs.

If i'm thinking correctly about the sim you are talking then i didn't even buy it from all the things i've read.

Edited by gunz

Widowmaker, try right clicking the exe and then disabling desktop composition from the compatibility settings. That should do the trick. Vista and Win 7 are known to have these problems with some programs.

Widowmaker, I can appreciate your frustration. It seems contradictory to me too that other games run fine on Dual Core Win 7 systems but RoF blames Windows for the problem. It runs very well on other configurations but obviously that isn't going to help you any.

HW, if that solution actually works, you would make some people very happy. I can't test it because I have a quad core.

If i'm thinking correctly about the sim you are talking then i didn't even buy it from all the things i've read.

He's not talking about CoD.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Widow, if you've a 2 core system, RoF will run better in XP. If you've a quad or higher than it will run better with Win7.

The game works better with system with more than 2 cores.

At least this is better than Cliffs of Dover that seems not be optimized for multicore.

EDIT: Don't trash it. Sooner or later you'll have a better system. That's a natural evolution.

Edited by Von Paulus

Obviously I can't guarantee the compatibility settings trick will work, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Your loss then IMO.

Its pretty good now, even though my owld soft southern shandy drinking mucker Window dont like it.

Should get even better with the next patch anarl!.

RoF can easily co-exist with OFF on my hard drive and horlicks to those of you that think otherwise. :grin:.

In all fairness to Widow, I'd be pretty pissed in his situation too.

And yes, they co-exist quite nicely on my hard drive as well. I too am looking forward to the next patch as well as to P4 when it ships. Between that and the upcoming World of Planes (if it really does what they claim) it's going to be a banner year for flight sim enthusiasts!

Might be time to upgrade to a shiny new 2600k cpu and MB. I hear folks are getting them overclocked to 5ghz and that even at the same speed as a first generation i7, they are roughly 25% faster! So basically it would be like having a 6ghz i7! Whoot!

Hellshade

Ah, I deleted my post after I realised that Gunz might not be on about RoF.

Never mind. :salute:

F*CK A DOOODLE DO!!!!....It worked!!....Hasse, you're a GENIUS!!!!!!!!! :drinks:

It changes the Colour scheme (in the same way FSX does...and it works!!!)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Isn't this a great place? With good people? :drinks:

Bravo Hasse Wind. :salute:

Helping someone out with a different sim on the OFF:BH&H forum. That's not something you see often elsewhere. You are a class act sir.

Hellshade

Thanks guys!.... sorry I went off on one!...just VERY frustrating

Thanks, guys. It seems that once every five or ten years I can contribute something useful in solving somebody's computer problems. Usually I'm the one asking for help. Everybody should try to live by the Golden Rule, even in flight sim forums. :grin:

haha...a Moderator has changed the title of my thread...I guess, that's sort of being in trouble, but no real 'telling off?'

Sorry Mod...didn't mean to cause trouble :drinks:

Hasse,

That was very decent of you. It would be easy enough to simply stay silent and let yet another disappointed RoFer ditch his copy forever, particularly given which forum we're on here.

May I suggest that you bob over to SimHQ, and post that nugget up for people on dual cores (like myself) who might well benefit from it? Whatever my overall impression of RoF, I'd like it to make an impact in the market and this would surely help some people.

It's just a shame that the authors of the game hadn't sussed out what is apparently such an easy fix.

Cheers,

Si

Hasse,

That was very decent of you. It would be easy enough to simply stay silent and let yet another disappointed RoFer ditch his copy forever, particularly given which forum we're on here.

May I suggest that you bob over to SimHQ, and post that nugget up for people on dual cores (like myself) who might well benefit from it? Whatever my overall impression of RoF, I'd like it to make an impact in the market and this would surely help some people.

It's just a shame that the authors of the game hadn't sussed out what is apparently such an easy fix.

Cheers,

Si

I don't have an account at SimHQ, so if you or any other gentleman here wants to post that tip there you're more than welcome to do so. There was a thread over at the RoF forum some time last year where these problems were discussed, and this solution has indeed helped at least some people. It also works in some other games with similar problems related to Vista and Win 7. I hope MS does something to improve their Windows code for dual core processors some day. Or maybe they are waiting for the problem to solve itself in the future when nobody is using dual cores anymore.

I don't have an account at SimHQ, so if you or any other gentleman here wants to post that tip there you're more than welcome to do so. There was a thread over at the RoF forum some time last year where these problems were discussed, and this solution has indeed helped at least some people. It also works in some other games with similar problems related to Vista and Win 7. I hope MS does something to improve their Windows code for dual core processors some day. Or maybe they are waiting for the problem to solve itself in the future when nobody is using dual cores anymore.

I posted it giving you full credit sir. However the one person who has responded so far claims it did not help them. I'm not sure of course if they followed the instructions properly or it genuinely didn't work, but at least it's there for folks to try.

Hellshade

it may well be a slightly 'Hit or Miss' fix...but the result for me was astonishing

Widowmaker,

You should know the FM is a bit different than OFF. It took me awhile to get a handle on my favorite OFF plane, the tripehound, in RoF. The sopwith triplane handles great as long as you keep her speed up. Pull back too hard to the stick and you bleed off speed and your turning power goes straight to hell. Meanwhile, I found the DR 1 came very naturally to me in RoF, unlike in OFF. Not as twitchy. The sopwith pup, if you get it, is very good but of course only has the single gun. At any rate, don't be suprised if you need to learn to re-fly certain planes in RoF. Different sims have different FM is all. Don't get too frustrated. Just be prepared to re-learn a different way is all.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Hasse Wind was spot on about the compatibility tweak. Here's another one:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=300&t=16756

It may "look" like you're setting core affinity, but you're actually optimizing Rof threads for dual core cpu, not the process. I've been using this along with the composition tweak and have gained 8-12fps which in actuality means that the stuttering has been "pretty much" been eliminated. If you have a PE viewer or some other editor program that will open up the file, you'll be able to see that it's pretty cool. An executable xml program.

plug_nickel

Is it just me or do planes in RoF seem a lot easier to shoot down than in OFF? Maybe I'm just watching vids with the difficulty turned down. Seemed like the guys barely graze them and they go down, or land miracle shots I could never make in OFF from 100 - 150m distance or beyond. Not you Hellshade, you get in close as ever, but some of those other chaps... man! It's like their Camels have laser sighting to make shots that precise! I'm so used to aiming for meat or metal, but it seems in a lot of those videos just putting a few into the fuselage suffices.

I have fun watching the videos though. I'm such an armchair pilot. "Oh man you'll never make that shot. Look at you, you're just spraying bullets into the air you fool! RUDDER! RUDDER! Stay with him! Your sights are dancing all over him, sit still! Your need to aim the damn guns! Don't bank the whole airplane, use your bloody rudder! RUDDER I SAY! That's it, shoot now. Too late. No, don't shoot now. Well that was a waste. I say you wouldn't last a day in 56 Squadron."

Edited by Javito1986