Sign in to follow this  
ace888

Saving file under the .DDS format?

I have been examining the .dds format, so far... my efforts has ended with no result of showing the test skin I have made.

Is there a good tutorial on converting .psd to .dds or .bmp to .dds? I would think that the most likely format conversion is from .psd to .dds?

Also, under the save as DDS, the window does not allow me to select the "Save:" options? I can only select 'compression' or 'format' selection?

I assume I should be saving my skin under the specific layer I want? Saving under Cube or Volume takes a lot more work I think?

Thanks

I have been examining the .dds format, so far... my efforts has ended with no result of showing the test skin I have made.

Is there a good tutorial on converting .psd to .dds or .bmp to .dds? I would think that the most likely format conversion is from .psd to .dds?

Also, under the save as DDS, the window does not allow me to select the "Save:" options? I can only select 'compression' or 'format' selection?

I assume I should be saving my skin under the specific layer I want? Saving under Cube or Volume takes a lot more work I think?

Thanks

Have you modified the model LOD files to look for .dds files? If not, it'll still be looking for the appropriate BMP files. You need to work through the model with a hex editor, changing each BMP entry to DDS. The easiest tool is Martin Wright's DXTBMP - I have no idea of the settings to use, but I use DXT1 with no alpha, for most things.

Thanks for the information ndicki!

Looks like I am unable to use the .dds format. I do not how to modified the model LOD files...

I use a plugin for Photoshop 7.

Works great.

no switching between programs.

just save as: *.dds

Looks like I am unable to use the .dds format. I do not how to modified the model LOD files...

Hi ace888. I'm in work so a quick reply.

Download a hex editor (google" hex editor" XV132) and this will allow you to open up a LOD. Copy the LOD and put the copy somewhere safe. Open up the LOD you want to change to .dds and find the reference to the skin texture (e.g. fuselage.bmp). Take extreme care and only change the suffix from .bmp to .dds.

Please note that if a texture is called fuselage.bmp you cannot rename it to fuselage1.bmp as the number of letters has to be exactly the same or it will not work.

Edited by Spinners

and, as it's an SF2 lod, make sure you check the Unicode box

and, as it's an SF2 lod, make sure you check the Unicode box

Kevin this is where I went wrong, I was in the wrong box? Thanks for the photo...

Still, more learning and investigating is needed to figure this out?

Thanks Kevin

Edited by ace888

Hi ace888. I'm in work so a quick reply.

Download a hex editor (google" hex editor" XV132) and this will allow you to open up a LOD. Copy the LOD and put the copy somewhere safe. Open up the LOD you want to change to .dds and find the reference to the skin texture (e.g. fuselage.bmp). Take extreme care and only change the suffix from .bmp to .dds.

Please note that if a texture is called fuselage.bmp you cannot rename it to fuselage1.bmp as the number of letters has to be exactly the same or it will not work.

Spiinners,

I think I misunderstood ndicki on the LOD part. I did use an example LOD from the Stock F-4E_75 and converted to .dds, but I was not sure if that was correct? So, am I'm to assume that as long as I am able to get each .bmp from the aircraft using XV132 and just simple click on .dds, that this will convert to .dds format and that the aircraft will recognize the new .dds instead of the .bmp?

Thanks again for the information

I use a plugin for Photoshop 7.

Works great.

no switching between programs.

just save as: *.dds

Soulfreak, I am using GIMP so the format maybe a little different?

Thanks

Whoa! I think you're getting ndicki's advice and mine mixed up. I replied to "I do not how to modified the model LOD files..."