Sign in to follow this  
stefnuts

Introducing myself to these forums & OFF

Hi everyone,

I've just installed OFF today. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and I died REALLY quick. :boredom:

This game is NUTS.

Furthermore, 60% or more of the screen is filled up with the plane.

IS this normal?

I play Red Baron 3d and I can see stuff. OFF is like a little bit MORE involved and I love it! :yikes:

Well, off to the "general help" section, as I died very quickly.

Take care & God bless you folks

@Uncleal,

Thank you sir for your kind help and not bashing my brains out! :good:

I will in fact check out that particular video.

Thanks for being kind man, something that is rare on ANY forum now adays, Good day to you...

Welcome to the OFF Forum

OFF has a rather steep 'Learning Curve'

To prevent the Newbie from asking the same question 'Over. and 'Over'. The questions are understandable, that's how we learn. However the same answer 'Over' and 'Over' becomes tiresome around #134

To that end, pretty much everything is written down somewhere. If you can't find it, by all means ask. In order that you can hit the ground running, when the postman delivers your disc.

Also being strong believer that if you know what to do in any given situation, you're sure to enjoy it more. Than if you say; 'What the F**K Now'

Check out the STICKY in the Knowledge Base "Pilot Training Videos #13" it does not contain what it's title suggests. . .it was merely a spot that needed filling. . and it got filled. . it serves as an excellent Road Map as to the location of all the data

This is a 'One Size Fits All Message', and New guy buys the first round

..............................................................................................................................................................................

The average Life expectency for a trained pilot in WW1 Combat was 17 Hours, do you consider yourself above average or SUPERMAN

The Simulation can be made easier, but Arcade is not an option

Most times it's the guy you never see who will shoot you to pieces, and the views in OFF Suck Big Time, most folks use Trackir . . an expensive toy in the $150 range

Much depends on screen resolution, regaurding aircraft size

The highest resolution your monitor can provide will keep OFF very happy, however everything else will run like schitt

Stefnuts - Welcome to the world of OFF...you're going to enjoy yourself here. Great sim, that keeps getting better...development team that REALLLLLY cares..and a terrific group on the forum.

Royce

Welcome "Between Heaven and Hell", stefnuts!

Hi everyone,

I've just installed OFF today. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and I died REALLY quick.

This game is NUTS.

Yeah, with Win7 64 bit, you really die even faster. :grin:

Furthermore, 60% or more of the screen is filled up with the plane. IS this normal?

Not necessarily, no. Go to "Workshops" and check at the left, if you clicked the right screen size.

Then, the next you ought to do, is finding the right "Field of View" for your screen resolution.

(See FOV in the lower right half of "Workshops")

The smaller the numbers, the closer/larger will your plane appear to you - but also enemy specs.

The higher numbers would make you more remote to everything.

If you send me the screen resolution, I can give you 3 variants for FOV to try out.

Furhtermore, see my advice about graphics setup in the "Sticky Threads".

Edited by Olham

Welcome stefnuts,

Uncleal is right about the Track IR, after you use it you wont know how you lived without it. You don't need Track IR5, IR4 works perfectly well using IR5 software, also I prefer the hat clip.

Some of the planes have a really tight view, the Spads in particular, but if you ever really looked at pictures of the planes you can see why. There was stuff all around the pilots and wings blocking the view, but you get used to it. If you really want to see what you are doing I recommend the DH2 for a few flights. Just be careful of stalling out so get some altitude, and fly against the E3.

Also in quick combat you can set where you are starting, ie, altitude or on the field, the relative skill of the enemy, and what type of mission you are flying. Freeflight is great if you want to get used to the planes as enjoy the scenery a little grin.gif.

By the way, don't be concerned if you get killed a lot. It took me years to get 17 hrs (literally). It is easier in the first part of the war, but a lot more exciting with better planes towards the end of the war. I personally prefer the spring and summer of '17, the weather is better and planes are good.

Have fun,

Beard

Welcome to the OFF skies stefnuts, and to our mess. Good advice here for you already, and this lot is always happy to lend a hand. Don't be discouraged about your first few dozen pilots going west in short order, we've all had that baptism by fire. Just practice, and study a bit, and most of all: Enjoy!

As has been pointed out, new lads buy the drinks, but as I am slated for morning patrol I shall have to catch you up on that later.

Cheers!

Lou

Welcome.

Given most are biplanes and somewhat early experimental aircraft yes your view IS restricted often. We give you what you got as close as possible :)

All the suggestions above will help. Try a DH2 for pusher design wings behind you.

You can also simply zoom out a notch very easily (default keys are [ ]).

Welcome to the Front!...if you stay alive long enough..we may buy you a beer! :lol::drinks:

Stay away from the Roland. Can barely land in that thing your visibility is so limited. I hear the view from a Fee is nice, providing you don't mind flying a highly flammable bathtub

Tch! Rookies!! The Roland is fine! A great two-seat fighter she is!

Welcome. :drinks:

You want excellent cockpit visibility? Then be a man and fly the Eindecker. It has none of the fancy ladies stuff, like ailerons. :grin:

Edited by Hasse Wind

Next will be Bullethead, recommending his famous BH-5 - arhm - DH-5, I meant.

Next will be Bullethead, recommending his famous BH-5 - arhm - DH-5, I meant.

No, he would recommend the FE2b, with it's weird yaw-roll coupling and it's need to be edited into a 'fighter bomber'. How the heck do you open the .XPFD file? My version of Acrobat doesn't want anything to do with these files..:dntknw:

Oh and stefnuts, welcome to the jungle, mind your head, and don't eat the yellow grubs...:blink:

Edited by Lewie

Welcome. :drinks:

You want excellent cockpit visibility? Then be a man and fly the Eindecker. It has none of the fancy ladies stuff, like ailerons. :grin:

:rofl: I liked that HW, liked that a lot.

Broken record mode now, but welcome, welcome stefnuts :grin: A friendier bunch than these folks you'll not find. As uncleal would say "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" so don't ever be afraid to yell for help.

Free Flight mode in QC is a Godsend... I still use it if I've been off stick for a week or more to get the feel back. Use it to practise with every machine that takes your fancy, take her up to 10000 and throw her around, try some hands off to see where her innate leanings lie. And do read the 'Flying and Air Fighting Primers' here they will help you know what to expect of particular machines and give you some good tips on what sort of combats you should or shouldn't engage in.

And the sun's over the yardarm now, so peint o gwrw a wisgi, os gwelwch yn dda. Iechyd da! :drinks:

Edited by Dej

Welcome stefnuts. With an average flying life of 17hours it's probably best if you get your round in now. Mine's a pint of Spitfire.:drinks:

Seriously, you will not find a nicer, more helpful bunch on any forum anywhere.

How the heck do you open the .XPFD file? My version of Acrobat doesn't want anything to do with these files..:dntknw:

Use Notepad. It works fine for me. I've been doing lots of practice flying with the Fee in preparation for a career in No 20 Squadron, starting early 1916. It flies quite nicely for a bathtub, actually.

Also burns nicely cool.gif

I'm hoping to avoid that part of the experience. :heat:

Oh, good you remind me, tranquillo. A virtual Warsteiner for me, stefnuts.

Welcome stefnuts.....

"There is nothing wrong with your monitor. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. The Dev's are controlling transmission. If they wish to make it louder, they will bring up the volume. If they wish to make it softer, they will tune it to a whisper. They can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. They will control the horizontal. They will control the vertical. With all of your free time, sit quietly and they will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... Over Flanders Fields!