Sign in to follow this  
Lewie

I got OFF running :YAY!:...My pilot is now a prisoner..:poop!:

Oh well, a fateful morning to you all..

I finally got my recalcitrant DVD onboard burner/player on my laptop running. It was a couple of problems, a corrupted driver file, and the darn CPU shares it's heatsink with some of the various 12 volt rail drivers and the GPU, and one of them was a bit out of contact with the cooler surface. It was mounted this way since it came from the factory..:P

At any rate the cooler doing it's job rather better, and has also upped the GPU performance a smidge, and I was able to get the OFF disc to read! It's installed.

It would read CD-ROMs OK.

I have no idea why this is, but I'll say this, having a HP Presario laptop forum to peruse is what saved this puppy. I also bought some Artic Silver compound and it's now pumping out the heat that used to warm the keyboard. Big plusses.

HP's quality control of this era's 'puter is less than stellar if the laptop forum is any indication.

I started a French fighter Sous Leut. pilot with Esc 118 in June of '16. He was flying from Marcuiex and had been tasked with his first mission, a 'loon shoot with rockets in his Nupe 11 kite with two wingmen.

It was a sucky start as it was raining hard and the upper cloud deck was about 4000'. When he got to his third waypoint across the front he noticed that he was being followed by a trio of bogeys about 2000' feet lower. Instead of doing the smart thing, and continuing on, I decided to stir the pot a little and see if I could get them to crash on their own by circling above them. But I lost some altitude myself and broke this off.

We continued on at about 3600' to the target, with our curious Bosche in tow. Unfortunately right when I was within about 2 miles of the target, I was hit by a flak round that severely reduced my engine power and whapped an aileron. I had no choice but to abort the flight and launched the rockets at my pursuers, then circled around while repeatedly telling my moronic wingmen to save their hinders, while I kept sinking lower and lower. I don't know if they made it back but I managed a rough field landing and was immediately captured. feh!

Well time for a new pilot, as Didier is stuck in a holding cell awaiting transfer somewhere. What a busy morning.

Oh yeah I think I can claim having the slowest PC that still runs OFF in a near tolerable manner. I think I'll stay with early war year pilots and semi quiet sectors. The Alsace region is quite pretty.

Edited by Lewie

A nice intro! Pleased that you've got it running. You may want to have a look at the mission mods that have been posted up for the 1915/16 periods. They might make your gaming more enjoyable. I like the idea of inducing stalls in EIIIs by out manouvering them - I'll have to try that!

Cheers,

Si

Flak is a bother eh? It's all one big joke until the day it actually hits you and knocks your engine out over No Man's Land. From that day on you'll be Flakophobic like me.

Finally! I was worried you'd never be able to enjoy OFF like it was meant to be enjoyed. Have fun! :grin:

If you like to fly early war careers, I recommend you install Bletchley's mods. They greatly improve that period of the war while we wait for P4.

... I think I'll stay with early war year pilots and semi quiet sectors. The Alsace region is quite pretty.

Yo, Alsace or Marne regions are quieter, and very beautiful.

If you have a mission to do, don't ever turn for bogies, until they catch up with you and you must fight.

And as for the Flak: never fly straight for more than 10 seconds. Zigzag your way through it!

A nice intro! Pleased that you've got it running. You may want to have a look at the mission mods that have been posted up for the 1915/16 periods. They might make your gaming more enjoyable. I like the idea of inducing stalls in EIIIs by out manouvering them - I'll have to try that!

Cheers,

Si

It's a learned tactic from Redbaron3D. If you are in a numerically disadvantaged situation with a Nieuport, low on altitude and ammo and the Huns are getting to be a bother, just keep level circling while they try boom and zoom pop shot's. They, (in RB3d at least..) lose about 300~500 feet with every attempt. I'm not sure if it worked in OFF as well, but they did turn from red to white in my tac screen while we, (I) taunted them. The ignominy of being popped by a random and dumb flak round, I would have rather been shot down in flames or shredded by Spandaus.

I want a Farman lattice tail campaign, Dev's, are you listening? I want to be a pilot of the aircraft Boeleke purportedly remarked about that "they ignite so easily.."

( Oh well, if life serves you Russian Caravan Tea, break out the fermented mares milk and go native.) Didier might manage to escape.

I like these poorly rated French fighter squads, but in particular I love the way the early Nupes fly in this sim, but we need some N10's for the early RNAS Flanders crews, and some N12's for the Alsace Luxiel squads... and some Caudron GIII's, GIV's, ...

Oh well, if life serves you Russian Caravan Tea, break out the fermented mares milk and go native.

"Vott???"

I gave this answer about a month ago, to a rather angry chap, who just had his ace pilot, interned for the duration. You might like it.

You can eliminate that bit of nastiness, and always escape the POW camp. By selecting Pilot NEVER Dies, in Workshop. However you MUST volutarily Retire your pilot when the time in Hospital exceeds 24 Days

Because according to the Manager, your Pilot can Never Die

Example: Make a forced landing over enemy territory, 17 Days between the sheets, then escape the camp over the weekend.

However, you get shot down in a ball of flame, from 9,000. That's 27 Days in Hospital . . . . . . . . . .Instant RETIREMENT.

You can play this way and last quite a while . . OR . . You can CHEAT and Last FOREVER grin.gif

Yeah I suspect this is what will happen. I was hoping that that OFF, like RB3D, does an occasional die roll and sometimes pops your interned pilot out via a hike in the rough through Switzerland. I guess Didier is going to be weeding turnips for the Kaiser for the remainder of the war. I want to keep the die roll option myself, Oh well, Didier vers. 2 coming up.