Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Microwave Ovens...time for a rethink?

Must admit I don't own one...

After reading this...I'm much closer to not owning one! :blink:

Hardly ever use it, has been moved to the auxiliary kitchen

Houdoe,

Derk

One plant each is not an experiment, even for Hi~School. That said, I NEVER use microwave ovens. They turn food into rubber, in taste and texture. That alone tells me everything I need to know.

There have been for decades very fast countertop electric water boiler kettles that rival microwave ovens in heating water, and now with safety auto shutoff when boiling -- provided you put the top back on lol. Be safe out there with any water heating appliance you might leave un~attended. Granted, the boilers can't be used to turn solid food to rubber like microwave ovens can. The Soviets banned them? Well now that is interesting ... but -- if that's true -- could it be also civilian vs military manufacturing??

:good: UK, your site has a nicely humorous article Wow That Was Fast! Libyan Rebels Have Already Established A New Central Bank Of Libya. As one Market Ticker member poasted to a thread on this article:

Bankers never sleep. :salute:

---

UK, you may like this: Farmers Fight Back Against Monsanto's Frankenseeds.

Bankers never sleep. :salute: OBJECTION YOUR HONOUR: bankers are ALWAYS asleep, just dreaming about another crappy stinking malicious investment and especially about BONUSES......

In order to brighten up your day a bit:

:grin:

(and mind you, this must be 30 years old or something...)

Houdoe,

Derk

Thanks gents...I shall peruse your links later

More BS from wacko alarmists. The cumulative radiation from cell phones held to one's ear (over a period of years) is many times more hazardous, yet you don't see anyone banning them....

A ferry boat captain once tried to sue the agency that owned the ferry boats that he operated, citing long term exposure to microwave radiation from the vessel's radar as the cause of various illnesses that he was experiencing. It was determined by the court (after consulting experts) that his lifestyle, not his job, was responsible for his maladies.

• Like 1

The cumulative radiation from cell phones held to one's ear (over a period of years) is many times more hazardous, yet you don't see anyone banning them....

I stopped carrying the phone close to body many years ago after realizing that I was able to predict incoming call/message by sudden rhythmical muscle twitching. :shok:

I stopped carrying the phone close to body many years ago after realizing that I was able to predict incoming call/message by sudden rhythmical muscle twitching. :shok:

That' probably becuase you had the vibrator on. :lol:

• Like 1

Might be some truth to it.Back in the early 90's one of my older brothers used to rave about microwaves.When you would turn one on he would step far away from it and comment on how dangerous it was.He said the same things as printed in this article.

Unless your kitchen cooks rubber to eat, microwave ovens have no use in a kitchen.

Now if one enjoys Corporate processed rubber to begin with, microwaves won't make much difference I suppose. Although I do call BS on using one plant as an "experiment" so this article is not helpful to me. I've already made the move to heating water in electric boiler kettles -- and they are as fast as microwaves. Next, is to somehow find real honest silver lined electric kettles instead of stainless steel (*ugh*).

--

Yea GR, I carry my cell away from body, battery fire is my concern there. My first cell about 3 years back gave me a slight buzzing feel in the phone side of the head. Maybe most "get used to it." I dunno. I decided not to, and use the speaker on LOUD so I never need place phone close to ear. That I don't mind so much, and I don't talk much, and never when I drive.

Err... why would you boil water for your plants? What effect did filtering the water have? What was the control group, i.e. standard water?

On the other hand there have been a number of studies into people who claim to be hyper-sensitive to electro-magnetic fields, all of which have proven negative while following a rather more rigorous approach to the scientific method. The planet is after all bathed in electro-magnetic radiation naturally.

Reference using microwaves, I wanted to cook a baked potato once and checked online how to do one in the microwave (I don't do this sort of thing often, more a stir fry kind of guy. And pizza I do a great pizza) every page I found on how to microwave a potato was full of comments on how that wasn't the way to do it and that you should use an oven. Ignoring the fact that if I'm looking up how to cook a potato in a microwave I may in fact want my food now and not in the hour it'll take my cooker to warm up to temperature and then cook the *******g thing.

• Like 1

Skippy::

Err... why would you boil water for your plants?....

To get a microwave involved there somehow. Its a fine idea, but as you noticed, there was no experiment here. I might try something like it, but I don't care since I don't use these things.

Even worse, they can't seem to design a microwave door handle that does not sound off like a 45 caliber when you close the door. I guess the standard handle/latch design is to let parents know the kids are microwaving at 2am, as you can't close the door without waking up the house. :idea: Do you have to be "licensed" to buy a silencer for microwave oven door handles? Never mind. I don't need to know because I don't use these things hehe.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Uh...hello:

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

How about we don't blindly repeat something we saw on the internet without independent verification first.

FC

Simple.

If we did, we would be spending our entire time trawling through reams of information...and never get time to post interesting chat topics here :grin:

• Dislike 1

As mentioned, the microwave should not be the sole cooking instrument unless you're just making a frozen dinner or reheating leftovers, and even then it's better used for getting the frost out and heating it conventionally.

We have a small convection oven that gets a lot more use than the microwave. It's not as fast, but it's still faster than stove or oven and it can cook fast as well as make it crisp and/or brown versus rubbery.

• Like 1

Uh...hello:

http://www.snopes.co...wave/plants.asp

How about we don't blindly repeat something we saw on the internet without independent verification first.

FC

because spouting the first thing we see/hear blindly forms the basis for 90% of debate in most western democraies!:lol:

I survived Chernobyl (was 1986 in Kiev), i survived the unhealthy and toxic enviroiment of the GDR :grin: , i survived eating lots of meals of Mc D...oof :grin: :grin: . And so i think i will survive the microwave too. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jimmy Carter was lowered into a nuclear reactor and he is still kicking 60 years later (I am not researching this information so I suggest everyone run with it as if it were fact).

Chuck Norris ate the fuel rods in Three Mile Island to prevent a meltdown and he's fine.