Sign in to follow this  
Olham

One eye laughing, and one crying

The laughing eyes is, because I will get my big upgrade tomorrow.

The crying eye: all my recent pilots (and two have got quite far already) will now be down the drain again.

But well, time to start 3 even more serious ones.

Here are my upgrade specs (many thanks to von Paulus, Parky, and my "computer chief advisor" Roland):

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 Rev. 3

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 k

Memory: 4 GB Corsair XMS 3

CPU-cooling: Corsair H50 watercooling

and

Windows 7

(the water cooling is, cause I want to overclock the CPU up to 4 GHz)

I will keep the ATI HD4870 (1 GB), because it will still be great with my 1680x1050 monitor resolution.

Roland showed me, how he played Crisis II with the same card, and it looked amazing.

I hope everything goes well and you are soon flying again. That should be more than enough to run OFF smoothly. :drinks:

Yes, I hope it will. Cause then, I won't need anything much else.

I may go for a new graphic card later, but rather for more demanding games like Crisis.

Congratulations Olham!!

You should be very pleased with that hardware array. The Sandy Bridge will overclock very easily on that board. It's usually a piece of cake to obtain 4.5 Ghz using just a decent air cooler in most cases. 4Ghz would be a nice round number. Just make sure you're extremely careful if it's necessary to increase any voltages....particulary where the DRAM is concerned. Under NO circumstances should you increase your DRAM to any higher than 1.65v. You run the risk of cooking your processor if you go any higher than that, as that's where your memory controller now resides as opposed to it being on the Northbridge.

Quite honestly, I doubt you'll even have to worry about voltages at all. You should be able to obtain your target overclock without even messin' with them.

A graphics card upgrade somewhere down the road would be the next logical step. A friend of mine recently put together a tower with similar specs. Picked up an EVGA GTX 570 and is thrilled to bits with it. The price vs performance ratio is rather outstanding. Lots of good options out there though....that was merely a thought.

Cheers....and Well done!!

Parky

OK I will be the first to post this smiley..

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Hope it all goes well, I'd like to do a system build thread for my new machine when it happens

A friend of mine recently put together a tower with similar specs. Picked up an EVGA GTX 570 and is thrilled to bits with it.

That's one of the two cards I had in mind, Parky! But for OFF and my monitor, the 4870 should do great, still.

Sweeet (re: the hardware) :cool:

Shame about your pilots. Is there no way they - and their campaigns - can be saved and then re-loaded? :dntknw:

Olham,

Unless it's your entire hard drive that self destructed, you should be able to resurrect all the files from it. When you get your new machine, pull the hard drive out of the old case and connect it up to one of the open SATA plugins on your new machine. When you turn your new computer on, it should recognize the old hard drive as nothing more than a data drive and you can then transfer all your files. I believe there's a sticky about the location of the pilot files for resurrection of dead pilots (Uncleal, chime in, please). After you're done, you can either remove the old drive or wipe it and keep it installed as an extra data drive. Of course, make sure you have the power off whenever you plug or unplug anything, but you already knew that, didn't you?

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Thanks, Jarhead, but it's by far more complicated.

My old hard drives will also have to be the new ones.

And my sim is installed on another drive than the OS and the savegames - it's on D:

I tried before, to save all stuff and save it - in vain. It didn't work.

In a worst case scenario couldn't you just make a new Pilot career on your new PC, but then edit the Pilot file so that the date, medals, kills and wingmen are the same as the old career?

I think it's just a case of editing the Pilot text files.

Might also be possible to copy the claims file as well, but if not you could always say that those pesky British two-seaters bombed the records office again! :grin:

It seems that it's no simple matter to transfer pilot files from one hard drive to another. Has anybody every succeeded in getting them to work again?

Thanks, Mike, but no, that does not work. I tried it before.

Maybe, perhaps, when I save the CFSWW1 Over Flanders fields folder on the C: partition,

plus doing this? Don't know.

But what the heck - I am still so far away from flying OFF as seriously as Creaghorn, RAF_Louvert and Hasse Wind.

Why not give it a new try? Three serious German pilots. Plus one for each other country.

Any others for fun. Sounds good, eyh?

Pilots are expendable Herr Olham...Hardware is Not! :salute:

(nice rig Olham...and now you can say goodbye to Vista!...hurrah

...and now you can say goodbye to Vista!...hurrah

Yes, many say, I should soon experience something better. We'll see - I am always

a bit careful with optimism, when it's about Windows.

I still remember the introduction show for one of the Win versions, where Bill Gates

just started to explain the new version on a big screen behind him - and it crashed!

I think there are also some Pilot files in the 'My Documents' folder.

I seem to remember a few months ago when I was having issues with my campaign getting stuck on one mission, I used to make a copy of the Pilot files in the main game folder as well as the Pilot files in 'My Documents' in case I needed to revert them back if the campaign got stuck again.

Only problem with that is my campaign stopped having issues a while ago, so I stopped copying the files for backup - so now I can't remember exactly where they are - but I'm pretty sure there are some in 'My Documents' or 'Documents and Settings' or whatever the documents folder is called in your operating system.

I'll have a look there, but I think you meant this folder:

AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

That's probably it yeah, although I'm on XP so it's a different directory - probably best to copy anything that looks remotely like it's to do with the Pilot files just to be on the safe side.

Yep, done that. I still don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try.

Don't wish to hijack your thread, Olham - but I have a similar 'bitter-sweet' prospect involving long-term pilots.

I've just downloaded HiTR (sweet!), but I'm wondering whether I have to say goodbye to my two established pilots when I install it (and the accompanying minipatch)?

Can any of your guys remember?

Don't remember anymore, but I think they were gone.

You could try the same as me: save the folder:

AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

and also the folder "Pilots" from:

campaigns > CampaignData > Pilots

Maybe we're lucky.

Congratulations, Olham!

A water-cooling solution! You are "loaded for bear," as we say in the States.

It's obvious that you have very little interest in historically accurate simulations of WW1 air combat! :wink::grin:

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

... It's obvious that you have very little interest in historically accurate simulations of WW1 air combat!

"Vell - vee Dsherrmanns like to hav a little technological advantadge, you know? Like: twin Spandaus!

Mmuahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!"

Well, seriously now - I have my rig back home and just plugged in to come here to the forum.

Flying not before tomorrow.

What my friend & computer-technical manager Roland and I both found extremely strange:

the rig first did not start. Not with the first pair of memory stick, and not with the second, a different pair.

The red lamp for memory failure remained on, and nothing more happened.

The board is an ASUS P8P67 Revision 3.0 (new B3 Revision).

There are 4 banks; A1 + A2; and B1 + B2

The ones are black, the twos are blue.

The drawing /plan said, that two stick belong into A2 + B2

But it did not work.

Only after searching through several forums, we found the tip to try a single stick in B2.

That worked.

Now Roland said, before we gave up, we may as well try something even more strange,

and he put the second stick into B1.

So we had one stick in the black B1, and the other in the blue B2.

Anyone ever seen such a setup?

Yes. Once. With a pair DDR 3 Gskill memory and a Asus P7P55 board.

It was a compatibility problem between memory and motherboard.

I've tried later the Gskill memory in another board and there was no problem. Then I tried Kingston memory in the Asus motherboard, and no more problems.

Additionally the Asus motherboard with the Gskill memory was having cold boot problems, not always, but sometimes.

One fact: You never, but never have problems with Kingston. They are slower, but they are quite reliable.

I would exchange the memory, Olham. Maybe there are a few memory settings in the cmos/bios that you could try.

You can try to force the Corsair specs. But in my case with the Gskill, it didn't solve.

You can't have the PC working in that way.

Edited by Von Paulus

Hmmm - well, it seems to work so far? But I didn't try the sim yet...