Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Starting a SFP1 Squadron

I was thinking today and it got me wondering if anyone was interested in forming a group of regulars back on the SF or WOV first gen sims. I would love to see how we can fight in those and maybe if we could do 2 vs 2 and get some time on both the game and teamspeak then we could start having some fun.

So who would be interested in doing WOV with some limited modding?

What do I mean by limited modding? Cockpits for the B-57, MiG-17//19/21, maybe some scenery from the Ground War Mod.

Edited by exhausted

Wouldn't it be difficult because the players would have different mods for their aircraft? Does sound interesting though.

To form a multiplayer group, everyone needs an install with the same mods to assure both compatibility and fairness.

However, the game does not notice cockpit mods when doing file checks, so a player could mod any aircraft cockpit and should still be able to join or host and otherwise identical install. I always had separate installs for multiplayer. If you have a fixed group, then it is fairly easy to get everyone to have identical installs regardless of how many mods are used. However, if you are trying to draw in newcomers, a pure stock install is the way to go. When first getting a group together, there will most likely be some connectivity issues as you sort out how to get through firewalls, routers and even ISPs. During that time frame, I would stick to stock installs to keep things simple. Once everyone is able to play and/or host, then carefully add mods to eveyrone's installs. Once everything is set up correctly, it works fairly well. Be prepared to use Hamachi to get everyone connected. Once everyone is able to join a Hamachi network, connectivity is very easy. However, Hyperlobby is publicly visible, which increases your chances of finding more people to play. So, I used to host in parallel via Hamachi and Hyperlobby.

Good luck on finding others to play. It is hard to get people with the same interest and schedule. The most successful time slot I found while hosting was 8-11 pm EST with peak flying around 9-10 pm EST. In the years that I hosted, it was not uncommon to have 2-4 people flying Mon-Thu, with some peaks of 6-10 on rare nights. Friday and Saturday are almost always dead as people are out doing stuff. Sunday nights were 50/50. Sometimes, everyone showed up, other times, no one showed up.