Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

Adding new skins - this time I had to change the aircraft.ini

After installing the latest (April 2011) Update of the SF2V Expansion Pack and dropping some of Sundowner's excellent F-4-skins into the respective aircraft folders (F-4B_67 that is), this time (for the first time) I had to change the aircraft's .ini to find/include the new skins...:blink:

I never had to do this before - just dropped in the skins and - presto - the game assigned them "automatically" and there they were in the game...:salute:

Why is that? What changed? Maybe too many "stock" skins?

did the skin have a textureset.ini? That's what makes the GameEngine ™ see the skins. I can't believe that Ant would forget something like that (he's not nearly as old as I am :lol: )

If I remember correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do) there IS a textureset in it... Another good hint towards that is that it worked flawlessly in the past - this was the first time (after many many game- and XP-updates) that the new skins weren't detected...

Oh - maybe there already was a textureset.ini in the XP-Apr 2011and when I dropped the new skins (incl. the .ini) into the F-4B_67-folder I didn't let Sundowner's textureset overwrite the one in the XP - sounds sensible to me (overwriting then would make the XP's new skins not "recognized").

What do you think? Reasonable?

Oh, btw: thanks for your laser-fast reply!:clapping:

Edited by stingray77

Was your aircraft's ini file set to "Read only"?

It seems that when the game starts, it add the new skins automatically to that file.

That's what I observed here for the least.

Edited by FrankD

How could it be set to "read only"? No should be "fully accessible".....

Edited by stingray77

For your own information, this is what I'm talking about Stingray77:

read-only.gif

http://www.fileinfo....only-files.html

Having your F-4B_67.ini file set to read only would prevent the game engine to automatically update it with the new skins.

Now if you already had this file updated, either automatically or manually, but kept the old file, that may be the source of your problem.

To be sure, simply compare both files and see what have changed.

Good luck

Edited by FrankD